Evander Kane arrested on misdemeanor charge for June nightclub incident

Hoss

Why wasn't P Kane arrested? Because the complainant did not to press charges after a months long investigation yielded little to bring to court. You seem to dismiss the four complainants in the E Kane case and their decision to press charges as unimportant. So again, to suggest P Kane, with those same four complainants pressing charges, wouldn't have been treated in the same manner, is absurd. Especially when considering both Kanes are represented by the same defense lawyer.

You don't seem to understand that Evander is NOT being charged with sexual assault, but rather charges. If these four (4) complaints (that you think I'm dismissing) held any water or seek to "press charges", then why isn't he being charged with sexual assault? Police said they were no longer even pursuing these charges.

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that in sexual assault cases, the victim doesn't need to "press charges" in order for police to criminally investigate or to prosecute. The reason why the county abandoned their P Kane investigations was because that case was severely (if not bizarrely) compromised. Nevertheless, where were P Kane's bogus charges and his hand-cuffed photo-op?

That is what I take issue with. Both Kane's have the same lawyer and were accused of sexual assault. One walks free. The other one gets slapped with charges (of which the bar even said he didn't do). The question is why?

Edited by kas23

It's not a comparison to what Darren Sharper did to the women, it's a comparison to how both men got the women back to their place. In Kane's case it appears the woman got away before actually entering his place (parking lot) whereas the women in Sharper's case did not.

But we also can't pretend to know what EK's plans were should things have proceeded to his place, at least not in comparison to Sharper.

Still, all of this is becoming.....wearing.

Does there come a point where as a fan, not even getting into the outrage and disappointment one would feel should these alleged events be proven to have taken place, where one starts to weigh the benefits of being rid of the drama surrounding Kane against the flat-out loss of the asset? I have been giving him the benefit of the doubt everywhere possible, and I believe this is shades of grey and not black and white, but I confess to being allured by the possibility of being rid of the headache even if it results in little to no return.

I dunno.

You don't seem to understand that Evander is NOT being charged with sexual assault, but rather ###### charges. If these four (4) complaints (that you think I'm dismissing) held any water or seek to "press charges", then why isn't he being charged with sexual assault? Police said they were no longer even pursuing these charges.

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that in sexual assault cases, the victim doesn't need to "press charges" in order for police to criminally investigate or to prosecute. The reason why the county abandoned their P Kane investigations was because that case was severely (if not bizarrely) compromised. Nevertheless, where were P Kane's bogus charges and his hand-cuffed photo-op?

That is what I take issue with. Both Kane's have the same lawyer and were accused of sexual assault. One walks free. The other one gets slapped with ###### charges (of which the bar even said he didn't do). The question is why?

I'm asking you to imagine if P Kane (white) was in E Kane's shoes. You claim that if P Kane had four people pressing charges, he wouldn't have been arrested like E Kane was because he's white. Sexual assault charges have nothing to do with anything here. Not sure why you insist on conflating the issue. 

And, AGAIN, the reason why P Kane was never charged is because the DA investigation yielded nothing and the complainant didn't press.

We can all claim that the current charges against E Kane are "bullschit" charges, but four people have pressed and we won't know until it's either adjudicated or settled some other way whether they have merit or not. 

I think we, as a society, should have learned by now not to jump to conclusions when situations like this arise where the media has often times lead us in a direction based on assumptions. 

Until Kane is prosecuted of a crime, nobody should hold any judgment. Does he put himself in bad situations? Perhaps. But that isn't the point, and not a reason to believe he did anything wrong. 

Apparently the trespassing charge was the only crime significant enough to warrant an arrest, and that is a misdemeanor. After weeks of investigation, and that is the worst of the charges................ even if Kane is found guilty, I don't think I am going to hold that against him. If Kane was sexually harassing women, dragging them around by their throats, throwing them into cars, a misdemeanor trespassing charge would be the least of his concerns right now. 

Kane needs to grow up, but he absolutely doesn't deserve the treatment he is getting from the media and fans. (Disclaimer, I am not directing this at anybody in particular on this forum) 

If Kane was sexually harassing women, dragging them around by their throats, throwing them into cars

It's been claimed he was doing all of those things. Are you inferring he was not doing those things because he hasn't been charged with more serious crimes relating to such allegations?

It's been claimed he was doing all of those things. Are you inferring he was not doing those things because he hasn't been charged with more serious crimes relating to such allegations?

I'm inferring that the county has had weeks to investigate this. They have witnesses, they have video. Most places don't take sexual harassment lightly, so if the county/city still doesn't have enough evidence to press charges even after all of this................ I'm going to trust the system. 

Are you inferring he was doing something more serious than misdemeanor trespassing even though he wasn't charged with them? 

(Serious question, not trying to sound snarky)

I'll raise my hand to disagree that it's overly-PC to suggest that the metaphor of lynching should be avoided when discussing a criminal (or other disciplinary) proceeding against a black guy.

You're being really hard-headed on this one. You seem to be missing the point of calling it a "lynching."

I'm inferring that the county has had weeks to investigate this. They have witnesses, they have video. Most places don't take sexual harassment lightly, so if the county/city still doesn't have enough evidence to press charges even after all of this................ I'm going to trust the system.

Are you inferring he was doing something more serious than misdemeanor trespassing even though he wasn't charged with them?

(Serious question, not trying to sound snarky)

I'm inferring that people have made sworn statements to the effect that Kane was manhandling women at Bottoms Up.

I've also just about concluded that he's a bad guy, and not worth the trouble that he brings.

You're being really hard-headed on this one. You seem to be missing the point of calling it a "lynching."

I'm not so sure. The original context was sympathetic toward Kane, yes? What I didn't like was the suggestion that those ready to crucify the guy (sorry, Jesus!) were engaged in a lynching of sorts. It's just too charged a term for most applications where a black person is involved as a victim, perp, or target.

I'm inferring that people have made sworn statements to the effect that Kane was manhandling women at Bottoms Up.

I've also just about concluded that he's a bad guy, and not worth the trouble that he brings.

I'm not so sure. The original context was sympathetic toward Kane, yes? What I didn't like was the suggestion that those ready to crucify the guy (sorry, Jesus!) were engaged in a lynching of sorts. It's just too charged a term for most applications where a black person is involved as a victim, perp, or target.

I'll let the legal system work it out before passing judgment on somebody. 

I'm asking you to imagine if P Kane (white) was in E Kane's shoes. You claim that if P Kane had four people pressing charges, he wouldn't have been arrested like E Kane was because he's white. Sexual assault charges have nothing to do with anything here. Not sure why you insist on conflating the issue.

We can all claim that the current charges against E Kane are "bullschit" charges, but four people have pressed and we won't know until it's either adjudicated or settled some other way whether they have merit or not.

Ok, let's just make this clear. Are you saying that EK's current charges of "harassment" have nothing to do with any perceived sexual assault in the past or present? He never laid a hand on a woman with the intent of it leading to undesired sexual advances? I don't want to conflate things.

Ok, let's just make this clear. Are you saying that EK's current charges of "harassment" have nothing to do with any perceived sexual assault in the past or present? He never laid a hand on a woman with the intent of it leading to undesired sexual advances? I don't want to conflate things.

Not only am I not saying it, I never even implied it. 

He is charged with non criminal harassment as a result of all four complainants pressing those charges. My whole argument with you is those charges and his subsequent arrest on those charges have nothing to do with him being black. 

Not only am I not saying it, I never even implied it.

He is charged with non criminal harassment as a result of all four complainants pressing those charges. My whole argument with you is those charges and his subsequent arrest on those charges have nothing to do with him being black.

But you just said "Sexual assault charges have nothing to do with anything here." What did you mean by that?

But you just said "Sexual assault charges have nothing to do with anything here." What did you mean by that?

I meant that sexual assault charges have nothing to do with anything here, only the non criminal harassment and trespassing charges E Kane faces. 

Perhaps I caused confusion when I used Patrick Kane as an example of a white player and alluded to his troubles. My apologies if that's the case. I only used P Kane as an example to say that if it was him that night at Bottoms Up, he too, would have been arrested and treated the same if all four complainants pressed charges, regardless that he's white. 

Hope that clears it up. 

Article from Vancouver on possibility of Canucks trading for Kane - http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/kanes-stock-would-rise-if-he-follows-kassians-behavioural-health-steps

Kane's agent is quoted in a tweet posted in the article about the rumors and they said they asked the Sabres and Buffalo said they are not moving Kane. FWIW.

I'm guessing that it's illegal to have someone who is drunk serving alcohol.  So if he was a guest bartender and tied one on in the process, that could be illegal.

They're going to have to close down a LOT of bars...

I'll let the legal system work it out before passing judgment on somebody.

My judgment is based on more than the complaints made following the Bottoms Up incident.

The legal system imposes a heavy burden to establish guilt. My burden of proof -- you know, as a fan -- is far easier to satisfy.

I don't love his game (there are parts I like, of course), and I really don't like that he keeps placing himself in bad situations (or worse).

Edited by That Aud Smell

My judgment is based on more than the complaints made following the Bottoms Up incident.

The legal system imposes a heavy burden to establish guilt. My burden of proof -- you know, as a fan -- is far easier to satisfy.

I don't love his game (there are parts I like, of course), and I really don't like that he keeps placing himself in bad situations (or worse).

I understand where you're coming from. Drama seems to follow him no matter where he goes, whether it's his own fault or not. 

I came into last season with the understanding that nothing was going to be held against the players and coaches, in my mind. Coming off a historically bad year, and consecutive seasons that offensively ranked as the worst in 80 years in the league.......... the team had a new coach, a new system, half of the opening day roster was new to the city, the Eichel hype. It was a throw away season. Kane was coming off major shoulder surgery, but his game needs to be refined. This year is a clean slate where the expectations are different. This is the year I wanted to see what Kane could do, if he could take it to the next level or continue on the way he has; pure talent with lots of holes in his game. 

I've always been the kind of person that doesn't think athletes have to be role models by default. That's not to say I think they should go out and make fools of themselves. Kane is immature and needs to grow up. I can't fault him for wanting to have a life, but now he has to realize it's not going to work. In actuality, he probably could have a life if he wasn't always putting himself in position to be a target because of his social media antics. But, that backfired and now he's going to have to tone it down if he wants to continue his hockey career. But, at this point, we don't know the full details of this situation and we may never know them. It's not that I always trust the system to always make the right decision, but I think it's more unfair to hold it against him even though he may come out of this with nothing more than a slap on the wrist. 

I hope he stays, I'm really curious how he's going to handle this and how he is going to improve his game this year. At this point his trade value is low and it's not worth dumping him for something low. Start the year fresh and keep him on a short leash. 

Those are all fair points, JJ.

You may know from my other posts around here that I don't credit the whole "role model" thing much either. And I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. And I support second and third chances. And I'm pretty sure that, as a white middle-aged guy, I do a good job of managing my racial biases (we all got 'em).

Even with all of that, I'm just not happy with E. Kane being a Sabre right now. I don't think he's likely to grow up. I don't think he's remorseful for the mistakes he makes. I don't think he's sufficiently self-aware to become a better person and better teammate hockey player. ... Maybe I am wrong. But that's how I feel about it at this point.

There's even a part of me -- of which I am not at all proud -- that would enjoy hearing/reading about him as part of the expansion team in Vegas. What a circus that'd be.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Those are all fair points, JJ.

You may know from my other posts around here that I don't credit the whole "role model" thing much either. And I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. And I support second and third chances. And I'm pretty sure that, as a white middle-aged guy, I do a good job of managing my racial biases (we all got 'em).

Even with all of that, I'm just not happy with E. Kane being a Sabre right now. I don't think he's likely to grow up. I don't think he's remorseful for the mistakes he makes. I don't think he's sufficiently self-aware to become a better person and better teammate hockey player. ... Maybe I am wrong. But that's how I feel about it at this point.

There's even a part of me -- of which I am not at all proud -- that would enjoy hearing/reading about him as part of the expansion team in Vegas. What a circus that'd be.

I can see where you, as well as many others, might think that he may never change. Because he has had chances to grow up several times over. So I can understand the hesitation to welcome him back regardless of this recent situation. I'm not entirely convinced he'll grow up either. The only positive I see (not sure I'd call it a positive) is that this situation is more serious than his past issues of locker room antics and social media nonsense. This should be enough to known some sense into anybody with common sense. At this point I hope you're wrong, but I'm not entirely convinced you are.

Man, if he doesn't grow up, going to Vegas would be a train wřeck.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.