Zemgus Girgensons - What is his future here?

GASabresIUFAN

I love thus kid, but his bad offensive year has him in the CDB/GMTM dog house. Now he hasn't signed his qualifying offer.

Is he going to be traded? Is he slated as the 4th line center? Will he even be given a chance to beat out Larsson for the 3rd line center job or compete for the 2nd line wing job? Will he bolt for Europe if he doesn't get more then the qualifying offer from the Sabres? Maybe he isn't even in the Sabres plans at all for this season.

I think this kid has much more upside then Larsson and is already one of the best defensive forwards. He is a hard worker and everyone likes him in the clubhouse. His youth and position utility makes him a valuable asset.

I'd sign him for 2 years at $ amounts of $1 mill for this season and $1.25 for next. This would be an easily traded contract, but show some faith in the kid. I'd also then re-create the line that worked so well two years ago of Moulson, Girgensons and Ennis. Granted they won't be playing 1st line minutes, but I think all 3 would benefit from a comfortable line combo.

If CDB gives him a defined role the kid will blossom, even if it just as the 4th line center. Can you imagine the matchup problems if our 3rd or 4th line is Moulson Girgensons Ennis?

If he doesn't have a future here, what about a trade to Ana for right shot D Brandon Montour who dominated in the AHL last season. I think he could challenge for Franson's job this season and he'd also be exempt from the expansion draft.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I love thus kid, but his bad offensive year has him in the CDB/GMTM dog house. Now he hasn't signed his qualifying offer.

Is he going to be traded? Is he slated as the 4th line center? Will he even be given a chance to beat out Larsson for the 3rd line center job or compete for the 2nd line wing job? Will he bolt for Europe if he doesn't get more then the qualifying offer from the Sabres? Maybe he isn't even in the Sabres plans at all for this season.

I think this kid has much more upside then Larsson and is already one of the best defensive forwards. He is a hard worker and everyone likes him in the clubhouse. His youth and position utility makes him a valuable asset.

I'd sign him for 2 years at $ amounts of $1 mill for this season and $1.25 for next. This would be an easily traded contract, but show some faith in the kid. I'd also then re-create the line that worked so well two years ago of Moulson, Girgensons and Ennis. Granted they won't be playing 1st line minutes, but I think all 3 would benefit from a comfortable line combo.

If CDB gives him a defined role the kid will blossom, even if it just as the 4th line center. Can you imagine the matchup problems if our 3rd or 4th line is Moulson Girgensons Ennis?

If he doesn't have a future here, what about a trade to Ana for right shot D Brandon Montour who dominated in the AHL last season. I think he could challenge for Franson's job this season and he'd also be exempt from the expansion draft.

Nice post.  I don't think anyone would have predicted the drop in production from Girgensons.  He's kind of put them in a tough spot because it's very difficult to understand why - equally difficult to commit to him and/or give up on him.  He got good ice time last year and there's still ice time to be had on this team (even though it certainly got tighter).  I like the numbers you propose on a 2 year deal which is what it would take to keep him - but I don't think the team is going to commit to more than a one year show me last year was a fluke.

I think a very well thought out post deserves a bit more than that.

It absolutely does and I wasn't slamming it at all. Sorry, I was going to start with "I will address the post when I have more time, but..."

Sheesh, people are serious around here. ;)

I'm curious about the strategy.  I assume he was offered a qualifying offer.  I'm not sure Gus has much he can take to the bargaining table.  And I'm inclined to think he hasn't performed well enough to warrant a long term deal.

Very puzzling.

I'm not sure you can get him on a 2 year deal at the $ as low as you have listed, it might be a bit higher.

As for what role does he have with this team?  I have really NO Idea.  

-He could be a winger on a top-2 line...someone who (if he buys into the system) is a physical, good skating, get the puck out of the corner 15-20 goal guy.

-He could be a guy who doesn't adjust to a 'system' and needs to get traded to a team that runs less of a 'system' and become a decent #2 center there putting in 15-20 goals.

-He could be a bottom 6 winger or center on this team, playing less minutes than he has in the past and putting up 5-10 goals a year.

I could really see any of those.  So, if he is traded, so be it. If he isn't traded, great, lets hope for the best and cheer for the guy.

Edited by mjd1001

Without looking up the deets, i have to think Montour is a guy the Ducks want to keep around as he is uoung and cpst controlled. That doesnt mean Girgs isn't a good piece to move. I do think trading him now would be foolish as his value couldnt be much lower. Edited by inkman

It absolutely does and I wasn't slamming it at all. Sorry, I was going to start with "I will address the post when I have more time, but..."

Nah man I wasn't responding to you to be too ugly or serious.  Just wanted to give the OP some props.

Without looking up the deets, i have to think Montour is a guy the Ducks want to keep around as he is uoung and cpst controlled. That doesnt mean Girgs isn't a good piece to move. I do think trading him now would be foolish as his value couldnt be much lower.

They are desperate for any forwards they can get their hands on. They have only 2 forwards under 29, yet without Montour, they still have 6 NHL D 25 and younger in Fowler, Depres, Lindholm, Vatanen, Manson & Theodore. They seem to be having trading Fowler. At this point, moving the 22 year old Montour maybe their best option to getting some youth into their lineup. Also they still have excellent D prospect Jacob Larsson in the system. How often can you get an NHL roster player for a minor league D?

Your micro-aggressions will not be tolerated around here, mister. Check your privilege.

I think an abnormally high amount of Girgs goals two seasons were fluky/lucky and that last years goal total is a closer representation of what to expect from him going forward. That being said, I love the kids game and think he is the perfect 3rd line winger / 4th line center on a cup contender. I hope we don't trade him.

I think an abnormally high amount of Girgs goals two seasons were fluky/lucky and that last years goal total is a closer representation of what to expect from him going forward. That being said, I love the kids game and think he is the perfect 3rd line winger / 4th line center on a cup contender. I hope we don't trade him.

You love a players game that you think 7 goals in 71 games represents his average?  I can see your 3rd line/4th line point - however that's not love and I'm not paying 2+ mil a year for it.

Yes, I love his game. I'm very happy if he's netting one every eight to ten games playing seven to eight minutes a night on the fourth line, because if he gets near the 20 goal mark that probably means he's getting way more ice time than he should due to the roster being decimated by injuries and we're not playoff contenders.

Who the said anything about giving him 2M per?

No love for HCHDDB?

I like Girgs and want to see him succeed, but i'm worried about his ability to play in a system as others above have mentioned. The highest levels that he's played (NHL and Olympics) were on very non-system teams. This year (and maybe next) will be make-or-break to figure out if he can learn.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.