Zemgus Girgensons - What is his future here?

GASabresIUFAN

Yes, I love his game. I'm very happy if he's netting one every eight to ten games playing seven to eight minutes a night on the fourth line, because if he gets near the 20 goal mark that probably means he's getting way more ice time than he should due to the roster being decimated by injuries and we're not playoff contenders.

Who the ###### said anything about giving him 2M per?

He can't be happy with 7-8 minutes which means he's not producing.  The fact he didn't sign his qualifying offer is evidence that he's not loving that and the 105% wasn't enough - some speculating he wants Foligno money.  He underachieved miserably last year with plenty of ice time available.  Zemgus isn't settling into a role to love and at this point is a riddle.  I still can't fathom what you're loving.

I'd say he's a 4th line C with slightly above avg minutes, 1st PK, injury PP and can slot up the lineup as needed in case of injury. This is assuming he is on the Sabres I suppose, which I hope he is.

Since he declined the qualifying offer - what kind of contract would you be willing to give him?

Looking at his stats he's been remarkably consistent in three years with the exception being shooting percentage varying, which it tends to do, from year to year. 

His game looks good on the eyeball test with me and his fancy stats say he can drive play a little better than the scoring he's put up for the most part. I like a physical player who can avoid lots of penalties, which is true of Zemgus. He seems like a character guy. 

So far he's a 3rd/4th line, penalty killer guy who can jump to 2nd line in an injury pinch but probably doesn't generate enough shots per 60 minutes to justify staying there. 

One reason to stick with him a bit longer is that he's only about 1.5 years older than Sam and he's almost 2.5 years younger than Foligno, so it's not crazy to think if he gets a chance at year two under DD he may adapt and grow into more like a really good third line guy (whereas I think Foligno is more like a really solid 4th liner on a championship team) which would increase his value and hence make a 3 year deal at 1.6M per year (for example) look like a steal.

Emotionally, I hope we keep him as he's sometimes an exciting player to watch with hi-light reel goals, which is worth something to me as a fan. 

What leverage does Big Z have to get even that big a contract? Other then bolting to Europe he has no leverage.  I suggested a 2 year deal of $2.25, but right now I wonder if he'll get that.  This is a prove it year for him.  If he breaks out he'll have a ton more leverage next off-season.  

At his best I think he can beat out Larsson for the 3rd line center role.  

I don't see why he wouldn't personally.

To me it would seem that he should have taken the one year deal - prove himself - then had the opportunity to seek more in free agency and making it less likely to get traded.  To me Buffalo would try - now - to sign him to a deal that is trade-able and that works against him.  I think he made a fundamental mistake here in hopes of getting a few hundred thousand more per.  I do realize that 600K or so over 2 years isn't something to take lightly but I have to think he believes he can prove himself worthy of much more (Foligno type money).  The rejection of the one year deal doesn't seem to help him get there.  I don't get where he's coming from - unless he'd be serious about leaving the NHL.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.