Nilsson acquired in Trade

Brawndo

Cool. Hope he signs quick and pushes Lehner

Not going to be the type to push for time. This move establishes Lehner as a legitimate 60-start goalie.

This isn't me complaining about the deal, I'm fine with it and didn't care too much what they did with the backup. The goaltending situation will be up to Lehner and if he goes down I think they'd bring up Ullmark if they need starts for an extended period. Nilsson is a big body who has struggled in the league.

Edited by Hoss

Not going to be the type to push for time. This move establishes Lehner as a legitimate 60-start goalie.

This isn't me complaining about the deal, I'm fine with it and didn't care too much what they did with the backup. The goaltending situation will be up to Lehner and if he goes down I think they'd bring up Ullmark if they need starts for an extended period. Nilsson is a big body who has struggled in the league.

Yes it does, put it on Lehner Edited by LGR4GM

Seems like a hefty price but maybe we're trying to be a good trade partner with the Blues for future deals. That or big Swede that GMTM likes but most likely will be counted on to be the G available for the expansion draft. I still welcome signing Lindback though to serve as Lehner's back up.

Edited by The Jokeman

Seems like a hefty price but maybe we're trying to be a good trade partner with the Blues for future deals. That or big Swede that GMTM likes but most likely will be counted on to be the G available for the expansion draft. I still welcome signing Lindback though to serve as Lehner's back up.

What? It's a 5th-round pick...

Also, he'll need a two-year deal if the Sabres plan to use him to fulfill their requirement in the expansion draft as he'd be an unrestricted free agent next offseason if it's a one-year deal.

Edited by Hoss

At this point I'd prefer Blue's idea better, picking up Niemi. I'm sure Dallas would be happy to rid themselves of that contract. 

Who knows, maybe Nilsson is better than his numbers show. After all, he's really only played for Edmonton. 

5th round pick is hefty?

WOOHOO! Way to go GMTM, because this is the kind of guy I want to rely on keeping my season together if Lehner gets hurt.

and you'd be ok with Ullmark instead.....how many teams have great backups?

At this point I'd prefer Blue's idea better, picking up Niemi. I'm sure Dallas would be happy to rid themselves of that contract. 

Who knows, maybe Nilsson is better than his numbers show. After all, he's really only played for Edmonton.

me too, I prefer they bring in backup guys who have the skill/potential to beat out the current starter then just bringing in guys that will never challenge for the starting spot. Nelson may or may not be good, don't know much about him, but a player like NiemI would all east challenge Lehner for the job. I prefer seeing the teams GM always looking to upgrade what we have, especially when there are players who haven't shown the should be locked in a starting role yet....

me too, I prefer they bring in backup guys who have the skill/potential to beat out the current starter then just bringing in guys that will never challenge for the starting spot. Nelson may or may not be good, don't know much about him, but a player like NiemI would all east challenge Lehner for the job. I prefer seeing the teams GM always looking to upgrade what we have, especially when there are players who haven't shown the should be locked in a starting role yet....

I could see sticking with a career backup if you're somebody like Quick, Holtby, Lundqvist and Rask. But Lehner is still an unknown. The season could ride on the choice of backup goaltenders. 

Hell, even Lundqvist and Quick had quality backups. As much as I've been impressed with GTMT, this move really baffles me. 

and you'd be ok with Ullmark instead.....how many teams have great backups?

No, I wouldn't. 

It's not a matter of having a quality backup, it's a matter of having a proven starter. If you don't have a proven starter you'd better have an experienced backup that can start if needed. i.e. Enroth, Reimer, Rantta, Johnson......

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.