RD 1, Pick 8: Alex Nylander LW/RW

Hoss

Just for fun, I thought I'd look back at drafts over they last 10-15 years and see what players were taken at 8. To be fair, I got a list of players taken with picks 7, 8, and 9 to get an idea how they turn out. I'm not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but I haven't seen it as of now:

Forwards: Nazem Kadri, Scott Glennie, Colin Wilson, Josh Bailey, Logan Couture, Kyle Okposo, Peter Mueller, James Sheppard, Mikkel Boedker, Jakub Voracek, Zach Hamill, Jeff Skinner, Alexander Burmistrov, MIkael Granlund, Mark Scheifele, Sean Couturier, Bo Horvat, William Nylander, Nikolaj Ehlers, Timo Meier

D-men: Jared Cowen, Dougie Hamilton, Jacob Trouba, Derrick Pouliot, Matthew Dumba, Darnell Nurse, Rasmus Ristolainen, Haydn Fleury, Ivan Provorov, Zach Werenski, 

Just for fun, I thought I'd look back at drafts over they last 10-15 years and see what players were taken at 8. To be fair, I got a list of players taken with picks 7, 8, and 9 to get an idea how they turn out. I'm not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but I haven't seen it as of now:

Forwards: Nazem Kadri, Scott Glennie, Colin Wilson, Josh Bailey, Logan Couture, Kyle Okposo, Peter Mueller, James Sheppard, Mikkel Boedker, Jakub Voracek, Zach Hamill, Jeff Skinner, Alexander Burmistrov, MIkael Granlund, Mark Scheifele, Sean Couturier, Bo Horvat, William Nylander, Nikolaj Ehlers, Timo Meier

D-men: Jared Cowen, Dougie Hamilton, Jacob Trouba, Derrick Pouliot, Matthew Dumba, Darnell Nurse, Rasmus Ristolainen, Haydn Fleury, Ivan Provorov, Zach Werenski,

Nice List if Alex can fit in there Sabres did well, love too see him up with the big club this year maybe halfway thru, would make Kane or Vessey irrelevant. Or give Ennis a chance to make himself worthy of a decent trade. Edited by North Buffalo

any chance he makes the sabres in from day 1 ?  I think even if he was able to , they will still send him down to Rochester.

Now that we finally have some forward depth, unless a prospect absolutely forces their hand, the Sabres will start young players like Nylander in Juniors/Minors/College (or in Nylander's case, potentially Europe)

Honestly this is a pretty exciting pick. Hearing nothing but great things about this kid. I think a gem just fell into Murrays lap and he pounced on it. Should be interesting to see where his progress is after this season. Personally think he'll be on our opening day roster in 2017 and can put together a 15g / 25a season.

Now that we finally have some forward depth, unless a prospect absolutely forces their hand, the Sabres will start young players like Nylander in Juniors/Minors/College (or in Nylander's case, potentially Europe)

How nice is this?  It was only 3/4 years ago guys like Grigorenko and Zadorov were the saviors and thus rushed onto the Sabres.  Now we can afford to let our young guns properly develop prior to bringing them up ala Detroit.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.