Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

I'd like to think GMTM is better than average at finding talent in the 3rd round, but we just don't know yet.

I suppose you could look back at the drafts from 2000-2010, and figure out what the odds are, but you'd also need to have a clear definition of serviceable NHL player.

Maybe I'll look into it next week because it's Friday and 96 out, my sister is visiting and I'm sitting by the pool drinking.

Don't ever tell me the odds.

I HAVE A PALTRY BACHELORS IN MATHEMATICS

I HAVE A PALTRY BACHELORS IN MATHEMATICS

Sorry but it's been shown in this thread over and over that it's not worth two cents because some think it's only worth one cent and nobody has even mentioned the values if they were in Canadian dollars or metric. Sorry.

To recap:

Analytics

Mathematics

Jimmy Vesey

Let it go. Let it go.

Good god get to the season please. Captain, the ship can't take much more of this.

I'd like to think GMTM is better than average at finding talent in the 3rd round, but we just don't know yet.

I suppose you could look back at the drafts from 2000-2010, and figure out what the odds are, but you'd also need to have a clear definition of serviceable NHL player.

Maybe I'll look into it next week because it's Friday and 96 out, my sister is visiting and I'm sitting by the pool drinking.

Even if you looked into the draft history of teams GMTM was involved with it wouldn't tell you anything.  This is the first team for which he has final say in a draft pick.  Who knows how much influence he had in Ottawa or Anaheim?  Maybe they took his opinion as gold.  Maybe he was one of three people whose opinions were weighed.

On a standard die the general formula for rolling at least one 6 in n rolls is 1 - (5/6)^n. 5/6 meaning 5 of the 6 sides are not a 6.

So let's say each 3rd rounder is a 12 sided die, meaning a 3rd pick has an 8.3% of becoming a serviceable NHL player. If you roll a "12" that player becomes an NHL'er, and we have 4 3rd round picks, or "rolls".

The probability of landing 1 NHL player out of those 4 picks is....

1 - (11/12)^4 = 29.4%

For 3 picks (rolls)

1 - (11/12)^3 = 22.9%

For 12 rolls: 65℅

If you had all 30 picks: 92.6℅

There ya go.  We traded away a 6.5% difference in likelihood a 3rd rounder makes it for a high reward possibility. 

Wait, are you saying GMTM is better than the mean, median or mode?

Wait, are you saying GMTM is better than the mean, median or mode?

Haha, all of the above!

Somebody help me out with this one, why is Matthews sleazy?

I don't know if sleazy is the right word. let's just say that they both have shown signs that they value money above all else... winning, team, etc

more Eichel/Vesey from summer league this past week....

https://youtu.be/5zwuM_Xr6Lk

..if you read the video comments, Paul Altmeyer, the creator of these videos says that he thinks he's signing with BUF.

Oh God. Another month of trolling.

I like Bo Burnham.

We should bow down before him.

I believe Bo actually just retired from the public eye after his most recent show. :(

...well, let's let's say each sister has an 8.3% chance of being hot, oh nevermind.

So you're saying I should trade your sister for an improved chance at a non cyclops and if I don't get it it wouldn't matter because it was worth the effort as I wasn't sacrificing much in the first place?

Edited by Hoss

I believe Bo actually just retired from the public eye after his most recent show. :(

So you're saying I should trade your sister for an improved chance at a non cyclops and if I don't get it it wouldn't matter because it was worth the effort as I wasn't sacrificing much in the first place?

I just saw him a few weeks ago on a late nigh talk show, can't remember which, maybe Conan. Unless he retired after that..

I just saw him a few weeks ago on a late nigh talk show, can't remember which, maybe Conan. Unless he retired after that..

I looked it up to see and it was apparently just some confusion about a few Instagram posts he made.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.