Tom Webster Contest 6.0

tom webster

Its that time of the year. Predict the off season. Come the closest and win tickets. Hopefully be able to use tickets. I still owe Hoss a Jake McCabe jersey for his success in part two of last year's contest. I will be at Friday's game so maybe I will remember to pick it up and send him a note.

The rules have always been kinda of vague and informal. If anyone has some other suggestions fire away.

Otherwise I am the judge and jury.

By the way, tickets are among  the best in the house, so there is that. And you don't have to like me to enter.

Fowler in.

Drouin in. After run at Stamkos fails.

Chychrun in.

Johnson back - 2 year deal.

Legwand back - 2 year low $ deal.

Ristolainen signed @$6/yr LT (6-8 yr deal).

Moulson NOT bought out.

Ennis, Pysyk, Baptiste, 2016 2nd, 2017 1st, Girgensons, Cornel out.

Sabres trade for Fowler and with the second pick choose Laine... they also sign Stamkos! Sabresare set for their playoff drive. PS Onethe yound D studs in juniors or college take a big step forward toward big club allowing Sabres to trade Psyk or McCabe..

Risto gets locked up with a 6-8 year deal.

Our draft pick+ is traded to get Cam Fowler. Everyone thinks we overpay.

Kyle Okposo signs with Buffalo as a UFA. 

So does one of Goligoski/Campbell.

One of McCabe/Pysyk is out in the Ducks trade.

Chad gets a new 2/3 year contract.

A fourth liner like Brodziak or Gordon comes in.

Lines to start 2016-17:
Ennis-O'Reilly-Reinhart

Girgensons-Eichel-Okposo

Kane-Larsson-Foligno

Deslauriers-Brodziak/Gordon-Gionta

with Bailey and Fasching pushing for spots. Alternate lineup with one of these guys and getting Samson used to center:

Ennis-O'Reilly-Bailey/Fasching

Girgensons-Eichel-Okposo

Kane-Reinhart-Bailey/Fasching

Foligno-Larsson-Gionta

extras: Gordon/Brodziak, Deslauriers

Defence:
Fowler-Ristolainen

Goligoski/Campbell-Bogosian

Gorges-one of McCabe/Pysyk/Nelson

Now, I know very little about guys like Gordon or Brodziak, so those may be the totally wrong players. I expect someone from outside to take Legwand's spot, though.

Fowler in.

Drouin in. After run at Stamkos fails.

Chychrun in.

Johnson back - 2 year deal.

Legwand back - 2 year low $ deal.

Ristolainen signed @$6/yr LT (6-8 yr deal).

Moulson NOT bought out.

Ennis, Pysyk, Baptiste, 2016 2nd, 2017 1st, Girgensons, Cornel out.

....where is all of that going?? :lol:

First, thanks to TW for another awesome contest.  These are perennially great threads.

This year's winner:

- Sabres do not move up in the lottery and end up drafting 10th.  They take a defenseman.

- Matt Moulson is not traded due to utter lack of demand, nor is he bought out due to cap repercussions.  However, the Sabres put him on waivers, which he clears, and send him down to Rochester.

- Sabres trade Zemgus, Pysyk and a #2 pick for Hampus Lindholm and give Lindholm the fat contract that Anaheim was unwilling to give him.

- Sabres re-sign Risto to a 3-year extension (which ends with him still being an RFA).

- Sabres re-sign Ocho to a 2-year extension.

- None of Legwand, Coliaicovo, or Ruhwedel is re-signed.  Sabres speak with McGinn but don't get him as someone else overpays for him.

- Sabres do not make offers to any other team's RFAs.

- And the big one:  Sabres sign Stamkos to a 7-year, $77MM contract.

Game on!

Sabres win the lottery and draft #3 overall taking Jesse Puljujarvi... Rob Ray weeps into his pillow knowing he won't be able to say his name

Chad Johnson does not re-sign, he becomes a starter elsewhere

Buffalo signs a cheap aging GT to backup Lehner

Jack Eichel does not win the Calder

The Sabres do not sign Steve Stamkos but they do talk to him about a contract

Tim Murray aggressively trades for a potnetial top 4 LHD. Well I couldn't guess the player I will say they are 22 or under, I will say that one of Ennis or Zemgus is traded in the deal along with Pysyk and a draft pick

Tim Murray targets UFA Alex Goligoski and signs him to a 5yr deal helping to secure the back line

David Legwand is re-signed to a 2yr deal.

Risto gets a 8year deal

Larsson gets a 3 year deal

Edited by LGR4GM

This year's winner:

- Sabres trade Zemgus, Pysyk and a #2 pick for Hampus Lindholm and give Lindholm the fat contract that Anaheim was unwilling to give him.

BAH GAWD, THAT'S THE WOOKIE'S MUSIC! :p

Don't get me wrong, I'd love this trade to pieces, but it's about 2 times more lopsided in our favor than the O'Reilly trade. Bob Murray is no Joe Sakic.

Edit: I hate everyone predicting Goligoski. I thought that was my ace in the hole under the radar move for LHD help.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

BAH GAWD, THAT'S THE WOOKIE'S MUSIC! :P

Don't get me wrong, I'd love this trade to pieces, but it's about 2 times more lopsided in our favor than the O'Reilly trade. Bob Murray is no Joe Sakic.

Edit: I hate everyone predicting Goligoski. I thought that was my ace in the hole under the radar move for LHD help.

I know.  I felt dirty posting it.  (I originally had Foligno instead of Zemgus and then I upgraded to Zemgus -- but it's still too skinny.) 

I couldn't figure out what else to include.  The most obvious pieces are this year's #1 and McCabe, but I don't think GMTM would trade either of those for anything less than a no-BS established star.  Lindholm is good but he's not yet at that level.  Maybe their #1 in 2017 -- but that isn't that appealing to Anaheim.

As for the comparison with the ROR trade -- I think Zemgus and Pysyk is a better package than Griggy and Zadorov.

I know. I felt dirty posting it. (I originally had Foligno instead of Zemgus and then I upgraded to Zemgus -- but it's still too skinny.)

I couldn't figure out what else to include. The most obvious pieces are this year's #1 and McCabe, but I don't think GMTM would trade either of those for anything less than a no-BS established star. Lindholm is good but he's not yet at that level. Maybe their #1 in 2017 -- but that isn't that appealing to Anaheim.

As for the comparison with the ROR trade -- I think Zemgus and Pysyk is a better package than Griggy and Zadorov.

*dons tinfoil hat*

I have a feeling McCabe may be available as an important piece of a trade. The organization has publicly been pumping his tires a lot over the course of the season. Dare I say, more than he deserves.

I just don't see the Ducks trading Lindholm. It'd be like Murray trading Risto.

They will pay him and deal of Vatanen or Fowler.

(That's just my opinion. My official predictions will come later :P )

You are quite likely right, and I certainly wouldn't be surprised.  I kinda think though that they won't deal Fowler, as he is locked up for 2 more years at a very reasonable $4MM per year.  If that's correct, then it comes down to trading Vatanen or Lindholm.  Their production is pretty similar, but I think they'd likely get more for Lindholm.

*dons tinfoil hat*

I have a feeling McCabe may be available as an important piece of a trade. The organization has publicly been pumping his tires a lot over the course of the season. Dare I say, more than he deserves.

You could be right, but he plays a GMTM kinda game.  He's also young with pretty good upside on both ends.  I don't think they'll trade him unless, as I said above, it's part of a package for a really high-end player coming back.

You could be right, but he plays a GMTM kinda game.  He's also young with pretty good upside on both ends.  I don't think they'll trade him unless, as I said above, it's part of a package for a really high-end player coming back.

I honestly don't think he's going anywhere either, but I do think the public pumping of his tires overstates his play on the ice by a fair margin. 

McCabe is more likely to stay than Pysyk. He's younger, plays left side, had a better season.

Which is, of course, our version of what Freeman is saying about Anaheim's situation with their defense--McCabe may have more trade value. 

Screw it, McCabe's going in my predictions!

....where is all of that going?? :lol:

The majority goes out for Fowler. The rest in Drouin & hopefully a trade for something else.

If the guys coming do come in, the D is set both present & into the 3 year or so future. Won't be happy losing Girgensons, but something that's healthy & good now will have to go out.

I honestly don't think he's going anywhere either, but I do think the public pumping of his tires overstates his play on the ice by a fair margin. 

Which is, of course, our version of what Freeman is saying about Anaheim's situation with their defense--McCabe may have more trade value. 

Screw it, McCabe's going in my predictions!

He should have more value than Pysyk, though we can hope the impending "sophomore slump" convinces the buyer to take Pysyk.

Got any fancystats to support this?  If so, other GMs may have the same opinion you have.

Got any fancystats to support this?  If so, other GMs may have the same opinion you have.

While his +/- is positive, his corsi and fenwick are -5.6 and -4.8 respectively meaning he has slightly negative possession metrics. He is starting 54% of his shifts in the defensive zone so that also should be taken into account. 

Sorta. I was playing around a week or so ago and put some numbers together suggesting McCabe-Pysyk was a more effective pairing than McCabe-Bogosian, which could be interpreted a number of different ways. McCabe-Pysyk was together earlier in the year, McCabe-Bogo later on, so the numbers could suggest McCabe hasn't really developed over the course of the season...but it could also point towards maybe McCabe and Pysyk complement each other more effectively than McCabe-Bogo, or that Bogo is a giant liability. Maybe it's simply that truncated in-season samples just do funny things with numbers (McCabe and Pysyk in particular have had pretty limited time together). 

To avoid derailing this thread, maybe I'll take some numbers this evening to the roster speculation thread...or even to the Bunker thread! Really, despite my previous statement about McCabe, the numbers are more favorable to him than Bogo. I just perceive Murray and Bylsma being super pleased with McCabe's development and I'm quite a bit more reserved in my enthusiasm level.

Alright, here we go, time for fun:

-We win the Drake Caggiula sweeps

-Swing and a miss on Stamkos

-Risto re-signed for $5.5M x6

-Johnson re-signed for 2 years

-Goligoski signed for 5 years

-Gorges traded for a 3rd

-Pysyk + 2017 3rd to Minnesota for Scandella

-Girgensons + 2017 1st + 2nd to Ottawa for Hoffman + Wiercioch

-Franson banished...somewhere. AHL or some defense-desperate team for a 7th

-Moulson starts the year in the AHL

Kane-O'Reilly-Ennis

Hoffman-Eichel-Reinhart

Foligno-Larsson-Gionta

Deslauriers/Fasching/Bailey-Schaller-Fasching/Bailey/Caggiula

Goligoski-Ristolainen

Scandella-Bogosian

McCabe-Nelson

7th: Wiercioch

Lehner

Johnson

Edited by TrueBlueGED

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.