GDT: Edmonton @ Buffalo, 7:30 pm est, 3-1-2016

WildCard

I don't think that is what happened at all. If Lehner wasn't in position it had nothing to do with McDavid. McDavid skated down the wing from his defensive zone. Regardless of how fast we was going - Lehner probably had 3 seconds to move two feet to his left. And although he technically gets past Risto in the last 5 feet, he was comfortably contained to the outside and left with nothing but a poor angle shot on his backhand.

Well, we saw the play differently then. I don't think you can disregard how fast McDavid was going (and with what level of control). I don't think it's as simple as moving two feet in three seconds (there are myriad other factors and decisions to be processed in those moments). And I do not think, not hardly, that McDavid was comfortably contained. It was world class skill that put him in position to take what was probably a fairly low percentage shot. I'll stick with admiring (or cursing) what McDavid did rather than saying Lehner made a poor play.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I am not sure what to make of this game.  It was hyped up by the NHL beyond belief.  The game ended up pretty much how I expected ... two not very good teams trying to find their way. 

That pass by Samson on COR goal was a thing of beauty.  He will be more than fine and is really making big strides this year.  He definitely is a player.  I must say RJ was less than awesome on the Eichel like pass stuff.

Why? If the argument is for more scoring, then McDavid blitzing down the wing and turning defenders inside out should probably end in a goal right?

It should result in more goals yes. But the way you present that statement, you act like we want every shot be a goal which is hyperbole. I think you know that but just want to be snarky. That said I wanna have a beer with you.

Well, we saw the play differently then. I don't think you can disregard how fast McDavid was going (and with what level of control). I don't think it's as simple as moving two feet in three seconds (there are myriad other factors and decisions to be processed in those moments). And I do not think, not hardly, that McDavid was comfortably contained. It was world class skill that put him in position to take what was probably a fairly low percentage shot. I'll stick with admiring (or cursing) what McDavid did rather than saying Lehner made a poor play.

Anyone but McJesus scoring there and you would be putting the boots to Lehner.  Great effort, but that was a shot that should be stopped by your #1.

It should result in more goals yes. But the way you present that statement, you act like we want every shot be a goal which is hyperbole. I think you know that but just want to be snarky. That said I wanna have a beer with you.

I am being snarky. I just think anyone being mad about how that game ended is crazy. McDavid is amazing and Lehner got beat like a goalie should get beat: with his defense tripping over their own feet, overwhelmed by superior talent. 

:beer:

Anyone but McJesus scoring there and you would be putting the boots to Lehner.  Great effort, but that was a shot that should be stopped by your #1.

Fair.

I'll try to keep the memory alive and see if he gives up a similarly bad one in the future.

My point being, though: I don't think anyone but McDavid scores that goal.

One thought: Maybe that ankle is still a bit wonky.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I am being snarky. I just think anyone being mad about how that game ended is crazy. McDavid is amazing and Lehner got beat like a goalie should get beat: with his defense tripping over their own feet, overwhelmed by superior talent.

it was a crappy weak backhand that Lehner should stop.

I am being snarky. I just think anyone being mad about how that game ended is crazy. McDavid is amazing and Lehner got beat like a goalie should get beat: with his defense tripping over their own feet, overwhelmed by superior talent.

Still felt like a swift kick to the nuts

Alright so, get the big stuff out of the way first:

-Yes, I know, McDavid had two goals and Eichel did not. The results-oriented amongst us will undoubtedly focus on that. But I challenge anyone to say he had a larger impact over the course of the night than Eichel did (I know I know! the goals count! I get it!). Jack was fantastic, tons of chances, pushing play. It was fun.

-That said, if anyone can transcend being in Western Canada and playing super late on the East Coast for marketing purposes, it's McDavid. Would it be better for the league if he were in the East? Probably. But it may not matter that much when all is said and done. That he (and Eichel) can't be on the World Cup teams because of age is absurd. NHL gon' NHL :rolleyes:

-I refuse to buy into the "because Buffalo" mindset many do, but I can't hate on people who are feeling down having watched Eichel streak in and not finish the play, then immediately see McDavid streak in and...finish the play. That was "because Buffalo" in a nutshell :lol:

-Let's just say last night did nothing to abate my "Bogo's bad" crusade. I'm currently accepting bids from contractors to expand the Bogo bunker. All are welcome to join once the extra space is created. Until then, feel free to fill out an application for the limited space.

-I fully believe this team needs to add two top-4 defensemen capable of moving the puck up the ice to our fowards quickly and consistently, or we'd morph Steven Stamkos into a 20 goal scorer. Having said that, holy hell does Eichel need to play with a high end finisher--he could probably have 15 more assists this season. I can't blame people for pining for a sniper in the offseason. 

-Evander Kane needs to be the best offensive player on his line, or he's a net negative--nobody cares if his shot selection reduces touches for Larsson or Gionta, but when his volume shooting prevents Eichel and Reinhart from touching the puck it's a huge problem. He kills offense with his poor hockey sense. Want an example of how stats don't tell the whole story? Look no further than Mr. Kane. He is a downright bad possession player.

-Dan Bylsma is killing me. every time Cal O'Reilly and Colaiacovo were on the ice at the same time, we were in our zone for minutes at a time. Somehow, at home, the McDavid line was frequently out there against those two. Kudos to McLellan for getting favorable matchups on the road.

-One sentence later, Dan Bylsma is still killing me. The passive OT strategy hasn't worked all year, and it hasn't changed either. It's like he designed his 3-on-3 system to function as 4-on-4 would, and it simply is bad.

-Credit to Dan Bylsma for getting him favorable matchups for Eichel throughout the evening. So hey, not a total failure last night.

-Taylor Hall is incredible. If Peter Chiarelli trades him for anything short of Drew Doughty, he should be fired immediately. There's just no way Edmonton moves him. Sorry, WildCard.

-I was surrounded by Edmonton fans. Holy hell were there a lot of them around me. And of those I talked with, they weren't transplants either--that's a hell of a trip to make for a regular season game between two bad teams.

-I've been harsh on McCabe this year, but he was the best defenseman on the ice last night. Really good game. And yes, I still want him on my 3rd pair next season unless he supplants somebody else with his play.

-To say Risto is struggling defensively recently would be a vast understatement. Finding him a partner who can legitimately play top-pair minutes is, IMO, more important than finding a winger for Jack. I also think it's probably harder to do.

-Speaking of WildCard, I did not see a limping redhead to pour beer on. It's okay, I drank the beer instead.

-Did you know Pearl Street doesn't have their 3rd floor pre-game buffet for Tuesday games? Because I sure didn't.

-I fell three times after leaving the arena. The rate at which the rain was freezing into solid ice was unbelievable. I was in shoes and should have just penguin stepped it the whole way, because maybe my hip wouldn't hurt as much this morning if I had.

Edit: Oh, and Samson! He's the anti-Kane. Everything we were told about his hockey IQ is so obvious, and it's even more clear in person than on TV. What a player. For those that like to dive into cliches and labels, he's the type of player you win with.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

if it wasn't anyone else but McDavid they don't even get the chance to score because Risto is able to handle the speed of the opposition.

If I'm not mistaken, Risto had already been out there for most/all of the 4-on-3 up to that point and then was put right back for the last 2 seconds.

Game doesn't even get to OT and the arguably weak goal if the Sabres can put up more than 1 goal on a pathetic defensive team. It's time for the team to win some games for Lehner. Doesn't always have to be the other way around. Lehner was shaky last night, but he still made the saves in regulation to give his team a chance to win. 

Game doesn't even get to OT and the arguably weak goal if the Sabres can put up more than 1 goal on a pathetic defensive team. It's time for the team to win some games for Lehner. Doesn't always have to be the other way around. Lehner was shaky last night, but he still made the saves in regulation to give his team a chance to win. 

Thanks for coming back to this.

Mid-way through the first, I thought to myself that the Sabres should score 3 or 4 against that team, with relative ease. The fact that they managed one was a huge disappointment -- even a surprise.

You're really downplaying McDavid's talent. Yes, Lehner didn't play it right, but that's because McDavid is crazy good.

I think you are overplaying his skill. He tossed a crappy backhand at the net and Lehner failed at stopping it. I watched the replay 8 times just to make sure. That backhand gets stopped 9 out of 10 times. McDavid isn't god, he can't bend physics to his will. Lehner failed us just like Miller did on anyone of 2 Crosby shots. Another year the same story. Buffalo never comes out on top. Typical BS

I don't understand this board's culture.  Yesterday, d4rk was freaking out over the people pointing out these very failings of the current team.  Now that a "big game" has proven those failings true (again), it's okay to point out the failings?  :wallbash:

I don't understand this board's culture.  Yesterday, d4rk was freaking out over the people pointing out these very failings of the current team.  Now that a "big game" has proven those failings true (again), it's okay to point out the failings?  :wallbash:

You sure do paint with a broad brush when it gives you the opportunity to insult someone. 

I think you are overplaying his skill. He tossed a crappy backhand at the net and Lehner failed at stopping it. I watched the replay 8 times just to make sure. That backhand gets stopped 9 out of 10 times. McDavid isn't god, he can't bend physics to his will. Lehner failed us just like Miller did on anyone of 2 Crosby shots. Another year the same story. Buffalo never comes out on top. Typical BS

I already admitted Lehner blew the save. What more do you want from me?

You sure do paint with a broad brush when it gives you the opportunity to insult someone. 

I already admitted Lehner blew the save. What more do you want from me?

To stop painting with a broad brush that we all want every single shot to go in. It took skill for McDavid to get in a position to unleash that shot but the shot itself should have been stopped.

Great write up, True. I may or may not have gotten way too drunk and thrown up out of the window going 70 down the highway, so there is no way I can describe the game that well. But, I can say a few things:

- I initially sat next to 4 very, very annoying, very obnoxious Edmonton fans. I don't know why, but they just up and left after the 1st. That actually made my night

- I also sat in front of, and behind, 3/4 very fun and knowledgable hockey fans. Hell, I missed half the third talking about Cam Fowler, Stamkos, Larsson, and DD with the guy in front of me. It was really fun meeting someone in public who really knew his stuff (except for wanting to pay Stamkos $11m, c'mon guy)

- Jack looked amazing. You can tell this game meant something to him, because he was skating everywhere. Him and Kane should never be on the ice together though.

- Yeah, McDavid won the game. Kinda sucked but I had a great time and it's a great memory. I will say this, we get mad at lazy/passive Jack on here a ton, but I don't think that's going to be happening for awhile now. The guy Jack wanted to beat more than anyone else, in the draft, at world tournaments, at everything rally, juts came into his house and the stadium of fans who all wanted McDavid, and not only lost the game, but McDavid single-handedly won it. If that doesn't light a fire under Jack's ass, nothing will

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.