McKenzie speculates that Stamkos will end up in Buffalo

Brawndo

Too many good centres. Can't have that. :ph34r:

It's not a question of too many centres, it's the reality of too few talented wingers.

I think most people would agree that Jack Jack would have (a lot) more points if he had wingers who could finish. Giggle.

He'll be a rental, I can't imagine he would cost that much. It's an odd situation since he's such a great player, but I imagine the cost will be prime picks/prospects.

Stamkos is not a rental. Any trade with him comes with a contract extension guaranteed.

Dude is gonna end up like Rick Nash. His production will be great for one year, then he'll have a bunch of average seasons

Stamkos is a rental. I don't see him signing an extension at this point unless it's in Tampa Bay. He's this close to free agency and will be the biggest free agent of the salary cap era... You're not giving up two young and elite players for him unless you get desperate (which I could see Toronto doing in hopes they can convince him to stay).

I don't fully understand nhl contracts and cap so please go easy on me. Could we trade for him, sign him, and when Sam and Jack need contracts trade stamkos for a similar return to what we paid(hard to know without knowing what the price is)? He won't be a rental but he will have a large contract and probably a NTC to make things a little difficult. We have some talent for him to play with so his numbers could go up.

Stamkos is a rental. I don't see him signing an extension at this point unless it's in Tampa Bay. He's this close to free agency and will be the biggest free agent of the salary cap era... You're not giving up two young and elite players for him unless you get desperate (which I could see Toronto doing in hopes they can convince him to stay).

How is he a rental? Why in the world would you trade for him, given his price, without a guaranteed extension?

On a positive note, I've finally learned how to spell 'guaranteed'

I don't fully understand nhl contracts and cap so please go easy on me. Could we trade for him, sign him, and when Sam and Jack need contracts trade stamkos for a similar return to what we paid(hard to know without knowing what the price is)? He won't be a rental but he will have a large contract and probably a NTC to make things a little difficult. We have some talent for him to play with so his numbers could go up.

We can't flip him for the same as we would trade for him later down the road, not even close. The large contract and his age will be a major factor. Plus, if he signs here, you better believe he'll want one hell of a NTC. So, our options will be limited, with a huge contract, a guy on the wrong side of his career, and people knowing we can't afford him so we have to get rid of him. He'll go for peanuts compared to his value now

10 mil or less I'd be intrigued, Anything more I hope we can get him a 15 mil contract with Toronto. Either helps us directly, or cripples Toronto.

To be honest I'd be fine with him going to the West just to smite Toronto; Buffalo getting him would make Toronto burn with anger.

$8m or less and I'm intrigued. No way does he deserve Kane/Toews/Kopitar money

I want no part of this. This is Jack's team. Throwing in a huge contract when in a couple of years our stars will also need to get paid, and Stamkos declining numbers and his disappearances in the playoffs...... I want no part of it.

My dude

I want no part of this. This is Jack's team. Throwing in a huge contract when in a couple of years our stars will also need to get paid, and Stamkos declining numbers and his disappearances in the playoffs...... I want no part of it.

My dude

This is how I feel

I'm not quite so anti-Stamkos. I'd like to have him here, I really would. Just not at the price I anticipate he'll command and the role I think he'll demand. To me, he's Tarasenko, and that's the role I want him in--top line scoring winger. But because of free agency status and pedigree, there's no way he signs a contract equivalent to Tarasenko, and if the stories out of Tampa are accurate, he also wouldn't accept a spot on the wing. 

We can't flip him for the same as we would trade for him later down the road, not even close. The large contract and his age will be a major factor. Plus, if he signs here, you better believe he'll want one hell of a NTC. So, our options will be limited, with a huge contract, a guy on the wrong side of his career, and people knowing we can't afford him so we have to get rid of him. He'll go for peanuts compared to his value now

isn't his value lower now because teams know he doesn't want to stay in tampa? And is a 28 year old, old in the nhl? Trade speculation I have heard on the radio is a first. Lotto protected this year or next year's no protection and a roster player with maybe some lower picks to sweeten the deal because everyone knows he's leaving tampa. I'm sure we could get at least a first and some lower picks back in a couple years. Edited by Kr632

How is he a rental? Why in the world would you trade for him, given his price, without a guaranteed extension?

The same reason you trade for any other rental: a cup run. It's that simple. Any team acquiring him will hope they can convince him, I'm sure, but they'll understand the possibility that free agency may be his goal.

You take Stamkos. No question about it.

He's a top 5 player of this generation. Future Hall of Famer smack dab in the middle of his prime. Potentially the best goal scorer of the decade after Ovechkin. In 4 years he will be 30, Eichel will be 23, Sam will be 24. This has a poor man's Lemieux/Jagr feel to it. Similar age difference and they won two cups in a row. Who was their Reinhart? Francis. Let's say ROR is Recchi, Risto is Coffey. The major piece we'll then be missing is the goaltender. 

Cut the deadweight. We're the worst team in the league BECAUSE Moulson, Franson, and Ennis are on this team taking up salary cap. Bring up some hungry kids. Let them develop. Sacrifice Kane. DO IT!

Unless Stamkos's agent is pulling a Babcock. We're an attractive leverage pawn with our owner. First thing I thought of when I heard this story. 

You take Stamkos. No question about it.

He's a top 5 player of this generation. Future Hall of Famer smack dab in the middle of his prime. Potentially the best goal scorer of the decade after Ovechkin. In 4 years he will be 30, Eichel will be 23, Sam will be 24. This has a poor man's Lemieux/Jagr feel to it. Similar age difference and they won two cups in a row. Who was their Reinhart? Francis. Let's say ROR is Recchi, Risto is Coffey. The major piece we'll then be missing is the goaltender. 

Cut the deadweight. We're the worst team in the league BECAUSE Moulson, Franson, and Ennis are on this team taking up salary cap. Bring up some hungry kids. Let them develop. Sacrifice Kane. DO IT!

Unless Stamkos's agent is pulling a Babcock. We're an attractive leverage pawn with our owner. First thing I thought of when I heard this story. 

Off-topic, but I only ever think of Francis as a Hurricane, Recchi as a Flyer, and Coffey as a Blackhawk. Those Penguins teams were absolutely stacked. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.