OT - Promotion Available

inkman

4 on 3 off is so good. I wish I could work that schedule.

Did it for a few years. The four were long days and they often spilled into day five.

But if they did, I did day five from home on my own schedule.

Fridays were for errands and rest, which left the weekend open to be a weekend.

There were pros and cons, but I mostly liked it.

I kinda knew it was going to come down to how much I value my happiness. We just (like this morning) rolled out a plan to work 4 day work week for the rest of 2016. Things can change but its a good deal for now. If I need to, I can deliver pizza Fridays and Saturdays to the tune of $120-150 a week. It's humbling as a 45 year old dude to have to resort to that but it's probably worth the miseryless existence I would have.

When you posted your pic a while back in another thread I would have never guessed 45, my eyes saw late thirties.

Personal experience. 

Stress leads to lack of sleep.

No sleep leads to being sick almost all the time.

Illnesses like getting the shingles.

It makes a complete disaster of your *what goes in must come out* belly workings.

Mentally your a basket case and people walk on egg shells around you, and are afraid to talk to you about it.

I resemble your post, more so than any time in my life, than I due right now. Gone is the stress, and yes there where a lot of of percs that went with it. Mrs. Racer is married to whole new person. She would choose the nice, boring, happy but not nearly as financially well off  me I am now.

So my advice.

Don't choose on your own. I'm going to assume asking here that plan has already been put into place. So what ever your family chooses will be the right decision.

Good luck. 

FWIW, I took a massive pay cut almost exactly two years ago to escape my previous job and take my current one. 

Positives: I no longer want to shoot myself in the face on a daily basis and with my wife's support and blessing we're still living indoors and eating regularly. 

Negatives: Losing 25% of my salary hurt, no mistaking that.

Outcome: Mental health and personal satisfaction outweigh the slimmer wallet.  For me, anyway.  If money were to become an issue, as you've indicated it is for you, then the scales might just tip the other way, though.  It's a tough spot.  Hopefully you end up in a good spot.

I'm learning this the hard way. 

You're obviously a valued asset there, Ink, and maybe theres the possibility that whatever you choose this time, something else will open up again in a bit of time. That's a tough one. 

Good luck! 

I kinda knew it was going to come down to how much I value my happiness. We just (like this morning) rolled out a plan to work 4 day work week for the rest of 2016. Things can change but its a good deal for now. If I need to, I can deliver pizza Fridays and Saturdays to the tune of $120-150 a week. It's humbling as a 45 year old dude to have to resort to that but it's probably worth the miseryless existence I would have.

When I was filling in over there it was some dark times. It's also a much more rigorous schedule. They run 24 hours a day, 5-7 days a week. My current Org is going to a 20 hour day 4 days a week. There is comfort knowing we aren't running all day and all night every damn day.

I am. I want to express my desire for more corporate visibility and upward mobility. I will make a slightly ridiculous salary demand and see if they bite.

A few thoughts.  If you have to take on another job I would call it responsible.  That said,  if you add on the extra hours then you are working 6 days a week not 4.  

The easy schedule of your current position may change.  You said there are growth opportunities and one wonders that if the growth that occurs would require more operating hours and as such would lead to greater pay but at the expense of more hours worked.

When you balance it out, figure out how many hours a week you want to work and how much you want to make during those hours.  That will give another perspective to the perceived benefits of higher pay.

The interview is the key.  If the growth in your current facility has a high probability then would it be worth it to push that harder with the goal of achieving higher pay in a better environment, one you've been in for quite awhile?  

Not easy to decide.  Glad you felt you could share with the board.

Lots of good stuff in here.  My 2 cents:

-  It's definitely a good move to take the interview.  Doing so will enable you to learn more about the job, get you in front of senior people at your company and let you practice interviewing.

-  Even if you are ambivalent about the job, treat the interview as an opportunity, not a chore.  Thank the people you meet for their time and for considering you, and demonstrate to them that you are excited about the opportunity.  Arrive at the interview location around 5-8 minutes early -- it shows that you're punctual and serious about the interview, but that you know enough not to show up 20 min early (as too early is a PITA for them).

- I would also try to learn about the department/facility, its business model, financial results and trends and any material recent developments relating to it, and think about the questions you can ask that (i) show that you're on the ball and understand the business and (ii) help you evaluate the job. 

- As for the bigger question:  money vs happiness is tricky -- not least because circumstances can change, both personally and at the office -- and then you may have made a decision based on a set of facts that are no longer true.

- Perhaps the most important example of changing circumstances:  are the people who were the bosses overseeing the facility a few years ago when you temporarily worked there still there?  If the person you reported to back then was a jerk, and his/her boss was also a jerk, and they are both still there and probably planted there indefinitely -- it's quite likely that it would still be a crappy situation.  However, if one or both of them have been replaced, the job happiness quotient could be much better.

- I would also note that your current facility dropping down to 4 days per week doesn't sound promising from a long-term business health perspective -- so that would cut in favor of moving to a better opportunity.  (Of course I could be completely out to lunch on that -- would need to know more facts.)

- Finally, the point that was made upthread about this job potentially opening other doors in the future is right on and potentially an important factor.  i.e. if you could run an important facility within the company and show strong results, even if the job happiness quotient is low, it might be a situation where you eat a poop sandwich for 2-3 years and then move on to something better (and the sandwich is easier to swallow if you keep the long game in mind, plus buy yourself and your family a few toys with the extra cash).

Good luck.  You are going to crush it.

I'm a hospitalist. I take care of medical patients while they are in the hospital, freeing primary docs to see more patients in the office.

Our hospital just entered the 21st century and added a hospitalist/hospitalists. It makes so much damned sense. There's nothing worse than being with a seriously ill loved one in the hospital and the "regular" doctor is not around/hard to reach. Not to mention that sinking feeling that a general practitioner is in over his head. I always assumed the regular docs would oppose the hospitalist because they'd lose income. Maybe the free time/less stress/less responsibility outweighs that.

Some more input:

I was recently presented with a similar sounding situation, in that I felt I was underpaid for the role, but I loved the folks I worked with and was comfortable in my existing role. An opportunity opened up in another department for a higher salary and responsibility, but my perception of the role was that is was much worse in terms of hours/employee happiness. I took the interview and expressed interest in order to try and get as much information as possible.

Long story short is I decided to go for it and take the new position, and it turns out the new role is way better against my pre-conceived notions of the position. Much better culture and flexibility at the new location and with the new team, and the increase in pay is a nice bonus. Based on my experience it is worth it to believe in yourself and go for it. Obviously you need to take into account all factors, but it usually ends up being that you make your own situation as good/bad as you perceive it.

Edited by Touched by Boyes

Our hospital just entered the 21st century and added a hospitalist/hospitalists. It makes so much damned sense. There's nothing worse than being with a seriously ill loved one in the hospital and the "regular" doctor is not around/hard to reach. Not to mention that sinking feeling that a general practitioner is in over his head. I always assumed the regular docs would oppose the hospitalist because they'd lose income. Maybe the free time/less stress/less responsibility outweighs that.

Primary Docs initially resisted it, but the insurance companies really pushed hard for us. Their thought was having a doc in house meant that patients can be seen multiple times per day as needed and it allows for patients to be discharged in afternoon if there testing is done, rather then waiting until the morning. Basically it's a cost saving measure for them.

Primaries like having their weekends free and no calls from the hospital at night.

Thanks, my bosses rented a suite for the Panthers Game on Tuesday. I should have invited you and some of other single guys from the board. I work with quite a few single, very attractive PAs in their early 20s.

Smart, beautiful ladies and a Sabres game. That's juts unfair. Awesome hours, good pay (I'm assuming), and great people. Very nice Brawndo, well done.  :beer:

This makes me want to reopen the What's Your Career thread again.

Separately, this makes me also wanna get a SS game together for next year. TBD does one every year, where they all meet and tailgate together. We could do the same. I've spoken with some on here about even just an Amerks game

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.