Buffalo Bills 2016

That Aud Smell

Well, he SHOULD have been in charge of the last HC search. ####ing Brandon.

Someone has to run the search. That's almost an administrative function. Identifying candidates, setting up interviews, contract issues... The ####ing should be attached to who actually hired Ryan.

If Whaley actually still believes in EJ, that's a fireable offense. Since I don't think Whaley is getting to canned, I'm going to choose to believe this is just protecting against a Tyrod injury and Cardale's been smoldering diarrhea in practice...the alternative is too painful to consider.

Luckily, it's highly, highly likely that this is the case. I've read that the organization definitely doesn't think Cardale is near ready for real NFL action, and Tyrod's injury thinger in his contract made me want to bench him as soon as Oakland pulled to within one score.

Someone has to run the search. That's almost an administrative function. Identifying candidates, setting up interviews, contract issues... The ####ing should be attached to who actually hired Ryan.

Russ ####ing Brandon should be nowhere near identifying candidates. It's outside his wheelhouse & NOT why he's in charge.

And they have admin assistants to actually schedule the interviews. Overdorf's job is to handle contracts & now tgat he isn't bound to a "cash to cap" directive seems to be capable in that role.

And though you seem to want the Pegulas to fire themselves, that ain't happening. Nor, in the big picture would it be a good thing for keeping tge teams in Buffalo.

Russ ####ing Brandon should be nowhere near identifying candidates. It's outside his wheelhouse & NOT why he's in charge.

And they have admin assistants to actually schedule the interviews. Overdorf's job is to handle contracts & now tgat he isn't bound to a "cash to cap" directive seems to be capable in that role.

And though you seem to want the Pegulas to fire themselves, that ain't happening. Nor, in the big picture would it be a good thing for keeping tge teams in Buffalo.

What's wrong with having a general manager who hires his coach? Murph just shot down a caller who asked the same question, implying that's just not how it's done in the NFL. Something seems back asswards about that.

Of course the Pegulas shouldn't fire themselves. But they should know what's in and out of their wheelhouse, too. They're supposed to be fans. Why do they act more in their own interest (ego?) than the team's?

I'm not sure I understand your argument that if the Pegulas were to step aside and stop meddling that it could lead to the teams leaving. Do you think they'd get bored? Why isn't it enough to set the mission, write the checks and sit back and evaluate and enjoy the teams?

I swear, I'll never understand it. I know how this fan would behave as owner. I bet I know how you would, too, Taro. I bet you wouldn't be hiring the coach.

Don't get the point in doing this with one game left though.

At first I was, "Huh?"

But then I found this:

To Huck's question, rumor is that Rex still wanted to start Tyrod in the Jets game, even though this would put the Bills at risk of injury. As such, they accelerated the firing to ensure the new coach has all their options available.

What's wrong with having a general manager who hires his coach? Murph just shot down a caller who asked the same question, implying that's just not how it's done in the NFL. Something seems back asswards about that.

Of course the Pegulas shouldn't fire themselves. But they should know what's in and out of their wheelhouse, too. They're supposed to be fans. Why do they act more in their own interest (ego?) than the team's?

I'm not sure I understand your argument that if the Pegulas were to step aside and stop meddling that it could lead to the teams leaving. Do you think they'd get bored? Why isn't it enough to set the mission, write the checks and sit back and evaluate and enjoy the teams?

I swear, I'll never understand it. I know how this fan would behave as owner. I bet I know how you would, too, Taro. I bet you wouldn't be hiring the coach.

They aren't going to "not meddle" as long as they are owners. You seem to want them to have the team in a blind trust. It won't happen w/ them or any other owner. So, IMHO, the only way they don't meddle is by being entirely out ofvthe loop.

I expect that they are learning how to be better at "the ownership thing." How the hiring of the next Bills coach goes & how the DB saga over in Sabres-land plays out will give us a good insight into how it's coming along.

ESPN reporting Rex had lost support from defensive players in the locker room

"There were too many cooks in the kitchen. Guys were pissed. He lost the defense."

What are the odds Shwartz comes back?

Didn't he lose the defense last year when he made them suck?

Shwartz: 0%

"There were too many cooks in the kitchen. Guys were pissed. He lost the defense."

Considering how many tackles were missed on Saturday, it was pretty apparent he'd lost the D.

Can't see Schwartz back w/out being the HC & don't expect that would happen.

Please - no more retreads. Buffalo has a habit of bringing back old names for nostalgia. No to Schwartz (currently with Eagles and #14 DEF) and no to Reich (middling offense in SD). 

How about we actually target a new up-and-coming coach that has new ideas and can be a long term answer. Tomlin in PIT was a no-name before he replaced Cowher, and they have had continuity and consistent success.

They aren't going to "not meddle" as long as they are owners. You seem to want them to have the team in a blind trust. It won't happen w/ them or any other owner. So, IMHO, the only way they don't meddle is by being entirely out ofvthe loop.

I expect that they are learning how to be better at "the ownership thing." How the hiring of the next Bills coach goes & how the DB saga over in Sabres-land plays out will give us a good insight into how it's coming along.

You can say all owners always meddle, but this is a unique situation, fans buying their teams. I hold them to a different standard. This shouldn't be the typical rich guy buying a team so he can play fantasy owner or have a toy to play with or a status symbol to hold over the other rich guys. You'd think the Pegulas would exercise great care in how they operate something they (allegedly) love. Instead they've been very reckless. (I shouldn't use "they," but I guess I have to after being scolded about how Kim earned the title of owner; still, I think she's only about .5% of the problem.)

Blind trust? What if they had? Would our teams be better or worse off without Terry's direct involvement?

Please - no more retreads. Buffalo has a habit of bringing back old names for nostalgia. No to Schwartz (currently with Eagles and #14 DEF) and no to Reich (middling offense in SD).

How about we actually target a new up-and-coming coach that has new ideas and can be a long term answer. Tomlin in PIT was a no-name before he replaced Cowher, and they have had continuity and consistent success.

Reich is the OC for Philly. IIRC Tomlin was groomed by Pitt

Reich is the OC for Philly. IIRC Tomlin was groomed by Pitt

My mistake. I had assumed Reich was still in SD. But Philly's O isn't much better, so I don't know why he would be a top choice.

Is Anthony Lynn our Tomlin? I admittedly don't know enough to comment, but I just don't want a hire from the old boys club that is the NFL. 

I'm all fired up now. Sorry. But I think I've finally stumbled on the right word for the role I envision for the Pegulas: patron. Patrons of a community institution.

I love the Buffalo Philharmonic. Been attending since I was a young man. I hear they're broke and in danger of disbanding (sorry, Clipper made me do it). Coming into some money in middle age, I endow the Philharmonic with $20 million bucks or something. I make it clear to the leadership that I want the finest philharmonic in the land. That's it. That's the extent of my role. I sit back, enjoy the music, follow the progress toward being that best philharmonic. I don't hire the conductor or rearrange the wind instruments.

You can say all owners always meddle, but this is a unique situation, fans buying their teams. I hold them to a different standard. This shouldn't be the typical rich guy buying a team so he can play fantasy owner or have a toy to play with or a status symbol to hold over the other rich guys. You'd think the Pegulas would exercise great care in how they operate something they (allegedly) love. Instead they've been very reckless. (I shouldn't use "they," but I guess I have to after being scolded about how Kim earned the title of owner; still, I think she's only about .5% of the problem.)

Blind trust? What if they had? Would our teams be better or worse off without Terry's direct involvement?

Considering that w/out TP's direct involvement we get even MORE RB direct involvement, which has been shown empirically to bring about "bad things, man, bad things" I'd rather have him grow into a good owner. If Cuban can figure it out, why not our owner?

I'm all fired up now. Sorry. But I think I've finally stumbled on the right word for the role I envision for the Pegulas: patron. Patrons of a community institution.

I love the Buffalo Philharmonic. Been attending since I was a young man. I hear they're broke and in danger of disbanding (sorry, Clipper made me do it). Coming into some money in middle age, I endow the Philharmonic with $20 million bucks or something. I make it clear to the leadership that I want the finest philharmonic in the land. That's it. That's the extent of my role. I sit back, enjoy the music, follow the progress toward being that best philharmonic. I don't hire the conductor or rearrange the wind instruments.

And you wouldn't suggest having a particular program or getting a particular guest conductor or musician if they could become available?

If true, good on you, I guess. But I'd be very surprised if most could hold to that level of self discipline. And don't believe they should be held to it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.