Buffalo Bills 2016

That Aud Smell

The Bills looked ..umm...  what's the word ...  good ... the Bills looked good today..  Except for that missed extra point, all aspects of the game were clicking, defense, offense, special teams.  Are they better without Sammy? or was this just an aberration with the new OC calling all those pass plays to start the game?

The Bills looked ..umm...  what's the word ...  good ... the Bills looked good today..  Except for that missed extra point, all aspects of the game were clicking, defense, offense, special teams.  Are they better without Sammy? or was this just an aberration with the new OC calling all those pass plays to start the game?

The passing game wasn't needed but looked as bad as usual when given the chance.

The passing game wasn't needed but looked as bad as usual when given the chance.

the take from a casual fan who only saw the 1st half....... The new OC caught them off guard but they adjusted and the offense became alot less effective.

I'm working under the assumption that the 1st half handling won't be repeated now that teams have tape.

There's a few posts of me saying I think Wentz has star potential. I was VERY high on Goff and Lynch. I was also overly high on Connor Cook.

Was down on Hackenberg (said he was Jay Cutler without the arm talent) and lukewarm on Cardale (said I would take him in round five and he reminded me of Byron Leftwich).

I don't know anything. I try to learn and I try to act like I know what I'm talking about. But I don't.

I don't remember having any opinion at all on Wentz, but I have a general skepticism for guys nobody has heard of suddenly rocketing up the charts. I was with you on Goff and Lynch, but don't think I was quite as high on them. I really soured on Cook over the course of the process, and thought Hackenberg was undraftable. Cardale I expected to bust, but I'm not gonna kick and scream over using a supplemental 4th on somebody with his raw physical tools. I loved Winston a year ago and liked Mariota (though admittedly I thought he'd bust if forced to play right away), thought Gabbert was a total bum but liked Locker's upside, and so on. Yea, all over the place. 

Not that this is surprising, but I do think teams and attuned fans are pretty good at picking out guys who won't be good (as evidenced by how few after the 1st/2nd ever do anything). But projecting good to great? Who the hell knows. Just so many variables at the pro level, so few college teams requiring pro-level reads, WR route trees being extremely truncated in college, the giant talent disparity on a near-weekly basis, etc. 

Edit: On the Bills, I think the biggest difference in the offense today was the OL actually blocked people. Didn't see much else different.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Edit: On the Bills, I think the biggest difference in the offense today was the OL actually blocked people. Didn't see much else different.

^This. John Miller beasted today. Kujo still can't run block, but our OL did well against one of the better fronts in the league.

I'll also say that giving the ball to McCoy in the end zone was an absolute failure on the coaches. When he stopped one yard short of getting it out of the end zone to do his bouncy dancie thing that he does, I wasn't even mad at him. That's what he does. You have to give it to Felton or Gillislee there. You are only looking for one yard. You have to give it to a guy that is going to lower his head and get it it.

Dumb play by the coaches.

Beasley just got absolutely lit up on a perfect hit

"Caring about concussions will take hitting out of the game." - NHL front office dinosaurs, right now.

I want to be clear up front that I don't expect this to be an option, but an interesting hypothetical:

If Dak Prescott continues to impress and the Cowboys end up rolling with him, do you trade for Tony Romo in the offseason? If so, what are you willing to give up? He's 36 with a bad back and consecutive injury-plagued seasons...but he's also really, really good. If I'm in the top-10 and/or have a realistic chance to draft a QB I love I wouldn't move it, but if we muddle our way to pick 19 again or something, I don't hesitate on trading our 1st for him.

"Caring about concussions will take hitting out of the game." - NHL front office dinosaurs, right now.I want to be clear up front that I don't expect this to be an option, but an interesting hypothetical:

If Dak Prescott continues to impress and the Cowboys end up rolling with him, do you trade for Tony Romo in the offseason? If so, what are you willing to give up? He's 36 with a bad back and consecutive injury-plagued seasons...but he's also really, really good. If I'm in the top-10 and/or have a realistic chance to draft a QB I love I wouldn't move it, but if we muddle our way to pick 19 again or something, I don't hesitate on trading our 1st for him.

I'm sure Eleven would be more than happy to acquire Romo. Ecstatic is a word that comes to mind.

For the record, my point on Brandon was that he won't get another job as an NFL team president, not that he won't get another job in the NFL.  He has done a creditable job of selling tickets, including suites and club seats in a difficult market for those products.  (Of course, the Toronto series was an abomination, and he bears some if not most of the culpability for that.)

Now, could my view of his job prospects change if Rex rights the ship and leads a miraculous charge to the playoffs?  Yes indeedly.  But if the Bills end up 6-10 and Whaley and Rex get canned?  NFW.

As for today's game:  good for Rex and good for the Bills.  Their offense looked a lot better to me in pretty much every phase, including coaching and execution -- especially given the imposters they trotted out at WR.  And the D looked much improved as well.

The Cardinals looked like the poorly-coached team, not the Bills.  And Palmer looked terrible.

I think Jerry Hughes might be team MVP so far this year.

I want to believe they have a chance next week, but I keep thinking back to the hype leading up to last year's first Patriots game -- and then the Bills got completely manhandled and became unglued and committed like 20 penalties, most of which were of the deeply stupid variety.

We'll see.

We have no QB. It's that simple.

the take from a casual fan who only saw the 1st half....... The new OC caught them off guard but they adjusted and the offense became alot less effective.

I'm working under the assumption that the 1st half handling won't be repeated now that teams have tape.

The Bills were down to three receivers in the game.  And at one point Clay was out too...  I cut them a break today on the passing game...  Tough crowd..

The Bills were down to three receiverowns in the game.  And at one point Clay was out too...  I cut them a break today on the passing game...  Tough crowd..

We have no QB. And that will be borne out again when this week's All 22 becomes available for review. TT has shown no signs of improving those aspects of his game he needed to improve over last season. No progression at all. That isn't relative to an injury plagued receiving corps. I'd like to believe that when everyone is healthy that TT will take off. I just can't based on the evidence.

What about Cutler on a 2 year deal?

No thanks.

We have no QB. And that will be borne out again when this week's All 22 becomes available for review. TT has shown no signs of improving those aspects of his game he needed to improve over last season. No progression at all. That isn't relative to an injury plagued receiving corps. I'd like to believe that when everyone is healthy that TT will take off. I just can't based on the evidence.

No thanks.

I really hope we don't take that option on his contract, let him go

They ware 3-0 because they are cheating.  We don't know how, yet, but they are.  It's what they do.

Yep. Pretty sure they're custom made for an insurance commercial: when you're a Cheatriot, you cheat; it's what you do.

As for the Bills today, pretty sure the Labatt's bear said it best: did not see that coming!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.