Jack Eichel Driving Possession

Derrico

We don't have a generic Jack Eichel thread so I'm not sure where to put this.  Mods please move if you feel necessary.

What a great read on what Jack Eichel is doing in terms of his possession numbers. 

"on pace for 56 points which would be 6th best over the past 20 years, in one of the lowest scoring seasons ever"

"Eichel is average at passing in the neutral zone, slightly above passing out of defensive zone, but in terms of carrying the puck, he's a phenom"

Compares Eichel to Taylor Hall

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sabres-jack-eichel-is-a-puck-carrying-phenom/

I've been a bit disappointed in terms of where Eich is in terms of points.  But you read articles like this and you realize just how good this kid is right now and what is hopefully in store for our future.

We don't have a generic catchall Jack Eichel thread

We should. We used to.

I've been a bit disappointed in terms of where Eich is in terms of points.

I can't say I've been disappointed with the kid in any way. My expectations were sky high, and I feel like he's right there with them.

All things considered, the only player in the NHL who is comparable to Eichel in terms of skating the puck through the neutral zone is Hall, which is interesting as Hall is the next best forward after Eichel in overall possession driving plays as well.

Going a bit further; Hall’s rookie season saw him pace for 28 goals and 53 points over an 82 game season, whereas Eichel’s pace is 26 goals and 56 points. Even more eerily; Hall averaged 1.57 points per 60 minutes at even strength as a rookie, whereas Eichel has averaged 1.58.

He's a fancy-stats wet dream. Oh man, I'm in love. So....can we go and get Taylor Hall now?

nice stat :P

That's just beyond absurd. Like finding out Pam Anderson has a natural set on here, I never would have guessed Jack is that good

Just came here to post this. Great read. The article compares his rookie season to Taylor Hall. Hall is a great player, but I hope Eichel is better. I think he will be.

Eichel1.png

So the Sabres carry the puck into the attack zone more than teams do on average? Interesting & not expected.

I wouldn't say that. At least based off of that chart alone

Last column. Sabres forwards carry puck into attack zone ~ 3.8/even strength period skated vs ~3.7/ for league average. (Realizing it's only F's & even strength, but for that criteria, the Sabres exceed league average.)

Last column. Sabres forwards carry puck into attack zone ~ 3.8/even strength period skated vs ~3.7/ for league average. (Realizing it's only F's & even strength, but for that criteria, the Sabres exceed league average.)

Nitpicking clearly, but that's the league average of every player, not the average of every team's own average. If that makes any sense

What does controlled entries mean then?

Bringing the puck into the Offensive Zone with clear control of the puck. (i.e. not dumping it in, not challenging to get the puck and it happens to cross the line)

So who exactly tracks all of these stats?  I mean the manpower alone would be unreal (even if they are reviewing tape to dig out this info).

SportlogIQ, whoever the hell that is. I don't know who does it in that company, but it would be a dream job to get hired at a place like that. Just keep track of NHL stats all day, and write code to do it? Sign me up

Edited by WildCard

But I read right here in these very parts that we are strictly a dump and chase team as per Bylsma's instruction.

GO SABRES!!!

Other teams also playing dinosaur hockey does not mean we aren't ;)

I'd like to see two things. One, is a team by team comparison, particularly to the top teams. Two, is a player breakdown by team--it might be that we have a few players terrific at controlled entries pulling the other shlubs up, whereas other teams make a concerted effort deep into the lineup to carry it in.

Just came here to post this. Great read. The article compares his rookie season to Taylor Hall. Hall is a great player, but I hope Eichel is better. I think he will be.

Eichel1.png

I'll say this. Not a fan of #fancystats, but this makes so much more sense than Corsi or Fenwick, just counting shots at the net as proxies for possession. Does this company calculate actual time of possession (control)?

Nitpicking clearly, but that's the league average of every player, not the average of every team's own average. If that makes any sense

Bringing the puck into the Offensive Zone with clear control of the puck. (i.e. not dumping it in, not challenging to get the puck and it happens to cross the line)

Well, if each team has 12 forwards and the "average" forward in the league has 3.7 entries, then the "average" team in the league will have 44.4 forward entries per 20 minutes of ES & (assuming the chart is correct) then the Sabres at 3.8 entries has 45.6 forward entries per 20 minutes of ES.

Now this says the Sabres forwards only carry it in nearly 3 more times per game @ ES than the "average" team and says nothing of D-led entries and doesn't account for PP/SH; but that is what that last column shows.

Other teams also playing dinosaur hockey does not mean we aren't ;)

I'd like to see two things. One, is a team by team comparison, particularly to the top teams. Two, is a player breakdown by team--it might be that we have a few players terrific at controlled entries pulling the other shlubs up, whereas other teams make a concerted effort deep into the lineup to carry it in.

I suspect you are correct about us having one or two guys who can do it consistently.

My belief is that no team does one or the other exclusively and for obvious reasons.

GO SABRES!!!

Well, if each team has 12 forwards and the "average" forward in the league has 3.7 entries, then the "average" team in the league will have 44.4 forward entries per 20 minutes of ES & (assuming the chart is correct) then the Sabres at 3.8 entries has 45.6 forward entries per 20 minutes of ES.

Now this says the Sabres forwards only carry it in nearly 3 more times per game @ ES than the "average" team and says nothing of D-led entries and doesn't account for PP/SH; but that is what that last column shows.

Fair enough. Hard to argue with that

And here's the website of the guys that made it. Just 12-15 people company, all with PhD's (required to work there), and no stats I can find. Kinda sucks, cause they have the right stats, they just do articles with them instead of keeping massive databases http://sportlogiq.com/hockey/

Plus, they're website really doesn't work. 1/2 the stuff you click on brings you nowhere 

Edited by WildCard

I suspect you are correct about us having one or two guys who can do it consistently.

My belief is that no team does one or the other exclusively and for obvious reasons.

GO SABRES!!!

And nobody has ever argued for exclusively carrying it in. Sometimes you have to dump, but we have players with options choosing to dump and chase. Shouldn't happen IMO. I also think the coach should put a lot of work in on designing zone entries that get around the defense's desire to force a dump.

Fair enough. Hard to argue with that

And here's the website of the guys that made it. Just 12-15 people company, all with PhD's (required to work there), and no stats I can find. Kinda sucks, cause they have the right stats, they just do articles with them instead of keeping massive databases http://sportlogiq.com/hockey/

Plus, they're website really doesn't work. 1/2 the stuff you click on brings you nowhere 

Interesting.  Good find.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.