Darcy Regier leaving Coyotes Organization-Confirmed

Brawndo

Heard it's for personal reasons. Be well, Niles Crain.

This.  I thought he should've been fired a couple of years before he was, and he undeniably built a lousy team during the last 5-6 years of his tenure here, but I also thought he was a good guy and a gentleman.

I always thought Regier was a good guy, not very good GM, but for many years he did not have much to work with.  He did hitch his and the Sabres wagon to *the core*.

My feelings changed when he stabbed his friend and coach in the back on the night of the long knives.

That said, when one resigns for personal reasons there is always something not good going on.  Never wish that kind of stuff on anyone, so right now I'm keeping Regier and his family / friends in my thoughts and prayers.

I always thought Regier was a good guy, not very good GM, but for many years he did not have much to work with.  He did hitch his and the Sabres wagon to *the core*.

My feelings changed when he stabbed his friend and coach in the back on the night of the long knives.

That said, when one resigns for personal reasons there is always something not good going on.  Never wish that kind of stuff on anyone, so right now I'm keeping Regier and his family / friends in my thoughts and prayers.

Yup. Lost my respect for him then. If he'd had the Pegulas in the Drury Briere year at least one of them would have stayed, he could have taken the 4 top picks for Vanek, team would have been very different and he might have gone farther. He was hogtied a lot of his time here, and he could have done better given better assets.

But I always assumed he and Ruff would go at the same time. They were so close, had been together for so long. I imagined him telling an owner "we both stay or we both go. I'll resign if you fire him." But then, nope, GTFO Lindy. Killed him in my eyes.

Is that really what happened? I remember it differently

Not that it's a real question but the answer to the hypothetical is that the Sabres could absolutely use him back. If just for drafting if nothing else. Murray's drafting looks about as impressive as Lowe / Sherro so far.

Is that really what happened? I remember it differently

Ruff should have been fired by 2003 at the latest. He was fired in 2013. Simple math, Regier carried Ruff for a minimum of 10 years past his expiration. Last thing you can question about Regier was his loyalty. Loyalty was his A#1 flaw.

Not that it's a real question but the answer to the hypothetical is that the Sabres could absolutely use him back. If just for drafting if nothing else. Murray's drafting looks about as impressive as Lowe / Sherro so far.

You forget Murray's track record in drafting with the Ducks, and that Kevin Devine is really the one responsible for the drafting success of Ristolainen, Zemgus, and Linus

Ruff should have been fired by 2003 at the latest. He was fired in 2013. Simple math, Regier carried Ruff for a minimum of 10 years past his expiration. Last thing you can question about Regier was his loyalty. Loyalty was his A#1 flaw.

Welcome to the board.

I disagree with pretty much everything in this post.

First, Darcy was terrible at drafting forwards, and average at drafting other positions.

Second, Lindy got the Sabres to the final 4 twice after 2003.

Welcome to the board.

I disagree with pretty much everything in this post.

First, Darcy was terrible at drafting forwards, and average at drafting other positions.

I mean, it was a 10 year period. Is that really that impressive? Especially when 1/2 the league makes the playoffs?

No dispute there.

When DR said ... no, I'm not firing you and then TP made him, DR should have told TP ... no, you fire us both.

I have to disagree. Coaches are fired all the time, he had to have known he would have to fire Lindy someday. Would you have the same view if the firing took place under Golisano? (i.e. if Lindy's tenure wasn't so long here)

Murray's drafting looks about as impressive as Lowe / Sherro so far.

What does this mean? 

Ruff should have been fired by 2003 at the latest. 

The 2005-2006 Sabres may have been my favourite incarnation of the team ever. Recency bias, yes. But what a ride that was. Bad (*awful*) luck with injuries is really all that prevented that team from hoisting the Cup.

Edited by That Aud Smell

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.