Lehner's best game - 1-20-16

7+6=13

I thought Lehner had not only had his best game as a Sabre but played fantastic.  His pad work, glove work, stick work and lateral movement were outstanding - and he was cutting off angles beautifully.  After seeing Johnson and Ullmark extensively obviously due to the injury - it's clear how much more athletic Lehner is.  In fact I'd say his athleticism tonight was on an elite level IMO. 

I hate that he wasn't awarded the victory by a deflected goal over his left shoulder (very difficult stop to make).  The only mistake I saw was on the first goal where he went to his back - he should have turned belly side to give himself a better chance to get back into the play.  He still managed to get a piece of the puck (it appeared to me) with his glove and it deflected up into the net.  But even with him turning the wrong way his athleticism allowed him to recover.

I'm not trying to be overly dramatic about one game - but I think it's important to notice his skill level especially compared to Johnson and Ullmark.  IMO he's clearly on another level.  I kept thinking we're going to win this game because of our goaltender - which is something I haven't felt very much this season.

If you're interested here's a nice recap of the game last night.

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2015020691

Edited by 7+6=13

How is this guy so controversial already?  Is it because Murray gave up a late first-round pick for him?  I mean, it's not like the 21st pick often means much.  You have to go back to 2005 to see a significant player taken 21st.  (Rask.)

It's my fault for responding to Shrader's question about how he looked. It was taken as some sort of slight against Lehner or me calling out Lehner or me being wrong or something and has since spiraled. 147minutes of hockey for the Sabres is not enough to know what Lehner is.

As far as the pick goes, the trade is done and over. Idc what we gave up for Lehner I care how he plays in a Sabres uniform.

It's my fault for responding to Shrader's question about how he looked. It was taken as some sort of slight against Lehner or me calling out Lehner or me being wrong or something and has since spiraled. 147minutes of hockey for the Sabres is not enough to know what Lehner is.

As far as the pick goes, the trade is done and over. Idc what we gave up for Lehner I care how he plays in a Sabres uniform.

I saw your comment and took it for what it is worth.  I have no problem with it and have no first-hand knowledge of how he looked last night.  

It's not the first time this has come up, though; you're not the first person to criticize his game (and your criticism of last night's performance may well be justified--again, I don't know); and the guy has hardly been here.

Last nights Lehner was the Lehner I expected: athletic and physically imposing, with a tendency to get himself in trouble through his aggressiveness. He is a raw talent.

If he can learn a measure of the Big Johnson's Zen-like focus, he can be a legitimate number one. He has considerable potential that has yet to be harnessed in the NHL, but it is going to take time.

As everyone has said, three games.

Last nights Lehner was the Lehner I expected: athletic and physically imposing, with a tendency to get himself in trouble through his aggressiveness. He is a raw talent.

If he can learn a measure of the Big Johnson's Zen-like focus, he can be a legitimate number one. He has considerable potential that has yet to be harnessed in the NHL, but it is going to take time.

As long as he doesn't learn how to play the puck from Johnson, I'll be happy.

edit: And as for the comments about it being only 3 games this year, it's really even less than that given all the time he missed last year too.  There's more rust to work off than most are used to seeing from their goalie.

Edited by shrader

He's big and his body bailed him out a ton last night, at least from what I saw. His flopping reminded me a ton of Ullmark's earlier on this season. Big thing is, Ullmark lost that in about a month, and it never came back. So maybe it's just rust, and I have faith in the coaching righting that

He's big and his body bailed him out a ton last night, at least from what I saw. His flopping reminded me a ton of Ullmark's earlier on this season. Big thing is, Ullmark lost that in about a month, and it never came back. So maybe it's just rust, and I have faith in the coaching righting that

Yeah, your "6'5" - 400 lber" should not be making reaction / flailing saves. If he has to do that, he wasn't where he was supposed to be. IF he's still doing that in March, the Sabres have issues.

BUT, his ability to make them either demonstrate he's very lucky or very athletic. Neither of which is a bad thing for a big goalie to have. And, when he gets his mechanics fully back (which may not be until next season), having those reactions to go w/ the butterfly technique - well, I can see why TM felt he (& Legwand) was worth taking a flyer for a late 1st. (& back 1/3 of 1st IS late 1st)

Will it prove out to have been worth the flyer? Time will tell.

As an aside, I find it kind of funny that we are so critical of both Lehner's and Ullmark's flopping in the crease, but the greatest goalie we ever had routinely would flop all over the ice to make amazing saves and was cheered for it. 

Dom really was an amazing goalie.

As an aside, I find it kind of funny that we are so critical of both Lehner's and Ullmark's flopping in the crease, but the greatest goalie we ever had routinely would flop all over the ice to make amazing saves and was cheered for it. 

Hasek looked in control of his flopping

Obviously you're talking about more than just last night - but he looked completely focused last night.  Every time he took of his helmet there was an intense look on his face.  Even when he showed disgust with the last goal - it was evidence of him being locked in.

Hasek looked in control of his flopping

Flopping is, in it's nature, an uncontrollable action

No.  We got used to it.  His 1st two seasons here the entire fan base was like, OMG WHATINTHEHELL IS HE DOING?.

Exactly. He was somehow successful utilizing a technique that most goalie coaches would squirm watching.

Obviously you're talking about more than just last night - but he looked completely focused last night.  Every time he took of his helmet there was an intense look on his face.  Even when he showed disgust with the last goal - it was evidence of him being locked in.

You're right I was talking about the Lehner I watched in Ottawa.

He was almost always locked in, but he was not always in control - relaxed enough is maybe a better way of putting it.

Last night he looked in control.

Flopping is, in it's nature, an uncontrollable action

Exactly. He was somehow successful utilizing a technique that most goalie coaches would squirm watching.

Dom was always in control, so I guess he wasn't flopping.

You're right I was talking about the Lehner I watched in Ottawa.

He was almost always locked in, but he was not always in control - relaxed enough is maybe a better way of putting it.

Last night he looked in control.

Dom was always in control, so I guess he wasn't flopping.

Pinwheeling then no?

No.  We got used to it.  His 1st two seasons here the entire fan base was like, OMG WHATINTHEHELL IS HE DOING?.

Yep. If Lehner starts putting up consistent dominant numbers like Dom (adjusted for the current NHL), or even good numbers (top-10 in the NHL), he can flop around as much as he likes. As it is, he looked like he was overplaying shots too often and having to scramble back into the net. Maybe I'll go find some Ott'wa games and see if this is rust or his style.

FTR, I'm not against the trade, super pro-Johnson or Ullmark, and I hope Lehner works out. I just don't think his performance was great last night.

. Couldn't have said it better. Took Tampa's Bishop a while to play consistently and read plays well anticipating shot and deflections. If Lehner can do this, my crit of giving up the 1st will dissipate. But yes 11 that is where it comes from GMTM trade for him in many's opinion was that Sabres gave up too much for a still developing goalie with who knows what kinda ceiling and Lehners first impressions have been somewhat lacking. Last game aside.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.