2016-'17 Lineup

Taro T

I'm not pro DD or against DD, I just think he hasn't been provided with a playoff caliber roster to coach.  However, I don't think anything will make Franson a faster skater or Kulikov a smarter defenseman.  GMTM should not even consider re-signing either, even if you told be both would re-sign for $1 mill per season. 

I'm not saying Kulikov is some kind of elite defenseman, but...

I played once with a bruised back and could barely skate, that was high school hockey...I can't imagine what Kulikov has dealt with all season in the NHL, it's undoubtedly hurt his performance.

(Just REALLY wish we drafted Chychrun, McAvoy or Sergachev over Nylander...in that order.)

In the time since his November 29 return from the high ankle sprain that parked him in the press box for 21 games, Eichel ranks 14th among all NHL skaters with 42 points (16G, 26A) and leads the league with 180 shots on goal and counting.

With his goal against Pittsburgh on Sunday, Eichel now passes Jamie Benn for most points since the beginning of February (21) and leads all NHL players with 17 assists during that time period.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTHS-CORNER/Youre-As-Cold-As-Eichs/6/83536

I'm not pro DD or against DD, I just think he hasn't been provided with a playoff caliber roster to coach.  However, I don't think anything will make Franson a faster skater or Kulikov a smarter defenseman.  GMTM should not even consider re-signing either, even if you told be both would re-sign for $1 mill per season. 

I'm not saying Kulikov is some kind of elite defenseman, but...

I played once with a bruised back and could barely skate, that was high school hockey...I can't imagine what Kulikov has dealt with all season in the NHL, it's undoubtedly hurt his performance.

(Just REALLY wish we drafted Chychrun, McAvoy or Sergachev over Nylander...in that order.)

I think Franson has played pretty well lately.  And if Kuli truly has been playing with a nagging injury, maybe he's worth picking up again.  My point is i wouldn't rule either one of them out.  To me the biggest unknown is Kuli.  Franson is what he is:  A pretty smart defenseman who lacks blazing speed.  Kuli may rebound and have big upside, or he might never be the same.  Who knows?

Edited by Doohickie

Holy crap...what the hell's with all these injuries? They are killing this team, and Kulikov is by far the biggest mystery...is he any good? Hard to tell when he's been injured almost the whole season. I do not envy GMTM having to decide what to do with him...sign him? he is obviously looking long-term at big bucks but how does one decide what worth he merits when he has not been healthy the whole year? If he ever plays to potential he is clearly a top4 but will that ever happen? tough call...

Bailey has 2g, 2a in 26 games, with only 1a in his last 10

Rod has 2g, 2a in 15 games, which isn't bad, but has nothing in his last 5 games.

Fair enough. When someone says "kids", I still think Eichel and Reinhart. They are younger than those other two, at any rate. :p

Bailey has 2g, 2a in 26 games, with only 1a in his last 10

Rod has 2g, 2a in 15 games, which isn't bad, but has nothing in his last 5 games.

Obviously there is an adjustment for these guys, even Eichel and Reinhart needed some time to adjust.

I would call up Nylander (once we get to 9 games remaining) and Bapiste to finish out the season. I'd even think of giving Nelson a few more games. As i mentioned on the prospect thread - I'm hoping they can entice Borgen to leave school now that his season is over.

Fasching called up

For whom I wonder?

Obviously there is an adjustment for these guys, even Eichel and Reinhart needed some time to adjust.

I would call up Nylander (once we get to 9 games remaining) and Bapiste to finish out the season. I'd even think of giving Nelson a few more games. As i mentioned on the prospect thread - I'm hoping they can entice Borgen to leave school now that his season is over.

Nylander is already on a pro deal so the 9 game thingy isn't in play. He's not ready but a few games at the end of a putrid season shouldn't matter.

Couldn't find a 2017-'18 line-up thread (but there is a '18-'19 thread), so I'll post this here. As things currently stand, this is something like how our opening day, injury-free, Bylsma-configured line-up could look like to start next season. Maybe we get lucky, and Nylander is able to step into a top 6 role right out of the gate, helped out defensively by the others on his line (obviously wishful thinking).

Nylander - O'Reilly - Okposo

Kane - Eichel - Reinhart

Foligno - Girgensons - Gionta

Bailey - Rodrigues - Fasching

McCabe - Ristolainen

Antipin - Bogosian

Guhle - Falk

Lehner

Ullmark

Others - Ennis, Moulson, Larsson, Gorges

What do you think? Able to compete for a playoff spot barring significant injuries? Bubble team? More mediocrity if Bylsma remains in charge? Personally I think we'd be in pretty good shape upfront, but clearly sorely lacking on defence to the point where making the playoffs would be a tough task.

It'll be interesting to see what Murray thinks.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.