It's official: Rick is back!!!!

PASabreFan

We all know it's been a long, long road back for Rick. It occurred to me last night that he is back to being the Rick of old. I don't hear a lick of difference between this Rick and the Rick of 10 years ago. He is just a remarkable performer. All of a sudden it sounds like he could be in that booth for years to come. But hopefully not too long, because I think we also all know what event would send him into retirement with a giant smile on his face.

Too hot to handle!

It's funny, I was thinking about this during the broadcast. His voice quality is pretty much back to where it was pre-surgery but he's much slower and occasionally gets players wrong in ways that I didn't see him do in year's past. Which is normal at his age.  I was envisioning the radio only version and it must bear only a passing resemblance to what is actually happening as RJ just can't keep up. That said, I like him and hope he can stick around awhile longer so long as he's enjoying it. 

Rob Ray on the other hand is close to useless. Nice guy...terrible analyst. 

We all know it's been a long, long road back for Rick. It occurred to me last night that he is back to being the Rick of old. I don't hear a lick of difference between this Rick and the Rick of 10 years ago. He is just a remarkable performer. All of a sudden it sounds like he could be in that booth for years to come. But hopefully not too long, because I think we also all know what event would send him into retirement with a giant smile on his face.

Too hot to handle!

The voice is very close to that of the past, but he is definitely slipping. It was painful listening to Miller misidentify players and on-field results because in his prime he was soooooo good and the decline was pronounced.

Jeanneret isn't painful to listen to, but his misidentification of players is noticeable. I hope he does go into a long and enjoyable retirement before he slips to the point of it being painful to listen to his gaffes.

I think Rick is doing a fantastic job! Considering all he's been through and his age, he's doing great. Some cities aren't as familiar with hockey as BFLO and need announcers to keep them informed of the basics of the game. Sabres fans don't need that, Rick is a minimalist, keeps the flow going and creates conversation. That's all Sabres fans need, familiar background noise. Just the fact that he doesn't sound like he just graduated from announcing school with regurgitated cliches is enough for me. I hope he stays there as long as possible.

I think Rick is doing a fantastic job! Considering all he's been through and his age, he's doing great. Some cities aren't as familiar with hockey as BFLO and need announcers to keep them informed of the basics of the game. Sabres fans don't need that, Rick is a minimalist, keeps the flow going and creates conversation. That's all Sabres fans need, familiar background noise. Just the fact that he doesn't sound like he just graduated from announcing school with regurgitated cliches is enough for me. I hope he stays there as long as possible.

Have you ever listened to Rick Jeanneret? Literally ever? Rick Jeanneret taught me a ton of what I know about hockey and know a lot of people who would say the same. He's a minimalist only in the way he requires his broadcast agency to pay a color guy a minimum salary because he talks so much.

I love Rick. I run a Facebook fan page for him. I have talked to his wife on several occasions. He's why I want to go into sports broadcast. But I think you're description is mostly off. And I think he's just about to his end.

Edited by Hoss

Have you ever listened to Rick Jeanneret? Literally ever? Rick Jeanneret taught me a ton of what I know about hockey and know a lot of people who would say the same. He's a minimalist only in the way he requires his broadcast agency to pay a color guy a minimum salary because he talks so much.

I ###### love Rick. I run a Facebook fan page for him. I have talked to his wife on several occasions. He's why I want to go into sports broadcast. But I think you're description is mostly off. And I think he's just about to his end.

If you were to do a word count for an entire broadcast you'd probably find Rick's is half of the rest of the league.

Of course you disagree with me, you're the snide resident contrarian, it's what you do.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Rick isn't back. He's done. I've never heard Rick this consistently miss names and get confused by the play. It's not that he's just mispronouncing names but he's saying the wrong player like four times a game.

Four times? Wow. Out of how many hundreds if not thousands of identifications to make? Sounds terrible.

And I am so grateful for this. I hate the color guy butt-in during the play. Rick's always done radio or TV as a simulcast (with the exception of 95-96 and 96-97 and a few games this year), so he's rarely had that "luxury" anyway.

And I am so grateful for this. I hate the color guy butt-in during the play. Rick's always done radio or TV as a simulcast (with the exception of 95-96 and 96-97 and a few games this year), so he's rarely had that "luxury" anyway.

Me too, for the record. I wasn't saying its a bad thing. It's what makes Rick Rick. It's a good thing.

I will miss RJ when he's gone. His radio calls in the late 70s early 80s shaped my childhood. He made so many iconic calls through the years that I replayed in my head over and over as I stickhandled my way through the snowy streets of the west side of Buffalo. Perreault dekes, he shoots he ssssccccoooorrrreeeesssss Giiiiilllllbbbeerrrttttt Peerrrraaauuullllttttttt

Last night he gave it his all on the Schaller shorty but fell short before he got the s out in scores. Still RJ, still the best ever imo but def nearing the end of regular broadcasts

Did i hear right at the end of the broadcast Saturday night, Brian Duff said RJ is going on a "short break" then say he will be back in MARCH?

But i agree with those who say RJ of old is gone, He was amazing to hear years ago and the team being bad can't be much of an excuse bc we've had many bad teams. I still enjoy listening to him because i realize its nearing an end, so just trying to enjoy as much as possible.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.