Get ready for Pegula Sports radio

PromoTheRobot

I've got no problems with a talk show host calling out the callers because for the most part they usually call in with nothing substantial. What aggravates me is that he's often times guilty of the same thing.

With that said, I rarely listen to any of the call-in shows any more. Every once in a while I'll turn it on if I need a good laugh. I noticed how WGR slowly phased out the call-in portion of the Sabres post game.

Yes, this. 1000 times this.

There's also the not so small issue that his favorite sports are tennis and baseball while working in a football and hockey market. I think it's a problem that he displays such open disdain for the primary sports in the area.

There's also the not so small issue that his favorite sports are tennis and baseball while working in a football and hockey market. I think it's a problem that he displays such open disdain for the primary sports in the area.

Agreed.

Except that it's only occasionally open disdain -- there's more often this sort of smirking reluctant acceptance of those two sports (football and hockey).

I've got no problems with a talk show host calling out the callers because for the most part they usually call in with nothing substantial. What aggravates me is that he's often times guilty of the same thing.

With that said, I rarely listen to any of the call-in shows any more. Every once in a while I'll turn it on if I need a good laugh. I noticed how WGR slowly phased out the call-in portion of the Sabres post game.

Can't argue with either of these points. Being critical is fine, especially if you have a legitimate reason to do so. But when your primary job is to cover both sports, I shouldn't be able to tell how little you care on a daily basis. I will give him credit for being a good interviewer though. Specifically the stuff he has done with GMTM in the past has always been entertaining and informative.

I will give him credit for being a good interviewer though. Specifically the stuff he has done with GMTM in the past has always been entertaining and informative.

Agreed.

It's almost as though his talents would be best deployed in a market where baseball and tennis were prominent, and the show format didn't require him to take calls.

I think, again, that he's just bored with it. How many times can you have the same conversation about the same two sports over and over, especially since the Bills story hasn't changed in 16 years really. It might be time for him to move on, but I also like the dynamic of the show overall, and Bulldog, as much as I like him, is snoozeville when he's on his own.

I think, again, that he's just bored with it. How many times can you have the same conversation about the same two sports over and over, especially since the Bills story hasn't changed in 16 years really. It might be time for him to move on, but I also like the dynamic of the show overall, and Bulldog, as much as I like him, is snoozeville when he's on his own.

It's a real shame that when he got a shot on ESPN a few years back, filling in on a Saturday or two, he focused on golf and tennis.

Agreed.

It's almost as though his talents would be best deployed in a market where baseball and tennis were prominent, and the show format didn't require him to take calls.

In what market in the US is tennis prominent? And in what international market where tennis IS prominent do they give a rat's rear end about baseball? :unsure:

It's a real shame that when he got a shot on ESPN a few years back, filling in on a Saturday or two, he focused on golf and tennis.

I knew he was on ESPN as a fill-in briefly. Hadn't been aware of him being boneheaded enough to not focus on "major" sports. At least he wasn't talking baseball cards, right? :unsure:

IF he was talking baseball cards, wish I could've watched. Would have been riveting, much like passing a car wreck on the highway. :lol:

Not to mention an utter lack of sports knowledge of any kind, which you would think would be mandatory for a sports talk host. Maybe that's why his shows are filled with candy drafts. How else do you fill 4 hours? One more observation: I've never heard a man use the word "I" more than Mike Schopp.

In what market in the US is tennis prominent? And in what international market where tennis IS prominent do they give a rat's rear end about baseball? :unsure:

I knew he was on ESPN as a fill-in briefly. Hadn't been aware of him being boneheaded enough to not focus on "major" sports. At least he wasn't talking baseball cards, right? :unsure:

IF he was talking baseball cards, wish I could've watched. Would have been riveting, much like passing a car wreck on the highway. :lol:

ESPN Radio. Edited by PromoTheRobot

Not to mention an utter lack of sports knowledge of any kind, which you would think would be mandatory for a sports talk host. Maybe that's why his shows are filled with candy drafts. How else do you fill 4 hours? One more observation: I've never heard a man use the word "I" more than Mike Schopp.

ESPN Radio.

I think most of the guys who act like they know about sports don't. Schopp's lack of putting forth more of an effort to delve into the Sabres and Bills is insulting but his bosses don't seem to care. The morning show guys carry that luggage. I enjoy their drafts. Mostly because it shows how out of touch with life some of them are, mostly schopp. As far as using the word "I", I haven't spent the time listening for it.

ESPN Radio.

That makes sense - dude has a face made for radio. :lol:

I liked his baseball card show for 8 or 9am on a Saturday.  It's a lot better than two guys with fake Bronx accents trying to convince me that they've got inside information on Wichita State.

ESPN Radio.

Stephen "I" Smith.

Radio people treat callers like crap. It's why I, generally, don't listen to ANY sports radio that takes calls.

The people calling are often people more interested in being on the radio than actually engaging in a meaningful conversation about the topic. And they're often people who likely haven't thought about how often other callers are put down for the sake of "entertainment." It's an old gag and it makes me gag.

Also, you'll likely never get sports radio that isn't directly employed or directly impacted by employment of the two Pegula teams. The city isn't big enough for more than one or two quality stations. If the Pegula radio happens then WGR will be full of people no longer employed by the team, so their opinions may be impacted by any bitterness left there.

Why on earth would the Pegulas want to get into media ownership, on top of sports agency, country music, oil and gas, philanthropy, real estate development, creative design, game presentation, scouting, player development, football, hockey, indoor lacrosse, coaching, managing, training, massage therapy, snick snack overhaul, blue cotton candy, lockerroom design, fashion, tennis, politics.........

The mere thought sent Freeman catatonic. If he doesn't make it, your responsible for finding SDS a new mod.

Not sure I want that. He's left me alone and actually been agreeing with me lately!

WGR is no better or worse than every other sports radio heard all across the country/continent.

If Murph's show goes to the new station, then WGR will only get even better.

I am far more interested in the Sabres and the Bils than my local sports teams, but Vancouvers TSN 1040 is head and shoulders ab I've WGR. Not even close.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.