OT: David Bowie Has Passed Away

WildCard

Saw an interview with Jerry Garcia many many moons ago where he was asked if he could be someone else who would it be and he said something to the effect "and think everyone in the business including Dylan would trade places with David Bowie, just so that you could play whatever you wanted on any given night and never disappoint anyone."  RIP.

A lot of artists wouldn't have the career they have without him (the police comes to mind).   

A documentary I saw last year about him said he had written around 700 songs for the music industry.

Got to know this song thanks to guardians of the galaxy, ###### its good.

Edited by Huckleberry

What?!

Oh, man. And so soon after releasing some really interesting material.

He recorded it knowing that he was dying.

It was liver cancer. 

The best drugs will do that to you.  I don't mean that as an indictment of his choices; he is what he was and without all the weirdness that altered states of consciousness he wouldn't have ever been that I suspect.  I thank you, Mr. Bowie, for touching so many souls with such fine music. 

Looking at all the stuff people are posting online today, it's amazing to think how many of Ziggy Stardust's songs became rock anthems.

Edited by The Big Johnson

He recorded it knowing that he was dying.

Without a doubt. I'm confident his latest music video released four days ago was a goodbye...

Also, this one really hit me hard. Combination of an incredible book (Le Petit Prince) and an incredible human...

pwkwbzZ.jpeg

Edited by Hoss

886926_10156445413080080_532764489484820

David Bowie made this music video in February, 1969, when he was in his early 20s. He made this as part of a promotional film. The film went nowhere but he did sign with Mercury Records later that year and recorded the more familiar arrangement of the song that same year.

This is our last dance.
This is our last dance.
This is ourselves.

I posted this video on my FB feed last month. I think this is the singularly greatest rock and roll song ever. It features two of the best male vocalists in rock history in a brief but fruitful partnership, and carries an energy that's hard to resist.

Spent today streaming his new album Blackstar.  Wow.  Incredible.  

"His death was no different from his life — a work of art," longtime producer Tony Visconti, a frequent collaborator of  Bowie's over the decades, wrote in a tribute he posted via Facebook.

"He made Blackstarfor us, his parting gift. I knew for a year this was the way it would be. I wasn't, however, prepared for it."

Howard did a long tribute to Bowie today, and I didn't remember Bowie performing at Howard's birthday party in the late 90's during his Nine Inch Nails collaborative period. Awesome.

Edited by Claude_Verret

A strong point in its favor, imo, is that it is the only thing (as far as I know) they recorded together; a singular performance.

Not only that Under Pressure is the only time that Queen ever recorded a song, as a band, with anyone else, ever.

To my knowledge Queen and Bowie never performed it live together.

It is one of my favourites, so it is worth posting again ...

Also, I am forever thankful to David Bowie, for without his ground breaking there would be no Clash.

This is touching.

I can't say I've ever really felt like an "outsider" in social settings (I'm too much of a sycophant adaptable chameleon for that), but I know well that Bowie was in many ways the outsider. Almost quite literally an alien among us. He was our age's most spectacular (and beautiful) weirdo.

beautifully stated.

• 5 weeks later...

Prog rocker who has recently released a string of great solo albums, before that the lead force behind the band Porcupine Tree.

Love Porcupine Tree. Can't listen to In Absentia without having a complete mental breakdown or introspective free for all, however. Oh well, worth it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.