GDT: Florida @ Buffalo, 7:00 pm est, 1/5/2015

WildCard

It is just wrong to blame the stoppers for our lack of success when we can't score to save our lives, particularly with the breakdowns tonight.

But I am so utterly tired of our goalies never being able to make one more save than the other guy, ever.

Ullmark and Johnson have given more than anyone could have rightfully expected of them but I want Linus honing his skills in Rochester and Chad working the door.

I want to have goalies who will win some for us.

Edited by dudacek

Just finished watching the game on delay. Apologize if this is a lot repetitive, haven't been through the entire thread yet.

Difficult staying patient during and after this one. Thought aside from the one nice goal we didn't play well at all. We just find ways to lose;don't win games right now. If we don't find a way to beat Chicago or Winnipeg on the road, we'll have 7 losses straight.

Our goalies usually seem to always give up one softie a game, it's like you can count on it. I thought the Panther's second goal, shortly after we had just tied it, was fairly soft. We didn't seem to do anything after that.

One thing that sticks out the most is breakouts. We don't get the puck up the ice very well at all, seems like such a struggle all the time. I would like to say we miss Pysyk, but him alone isn't going to changes things around.

Seemingly even more frustrating is our defenders complete inability to HIT THE NET (aside from Risto). They can't hit the net. They can't even come close. O'Reilly's set up of McCabe, (I believe in the 3rd) comes to mind. He basically had a clear chance in the slot. Is Chychrun good enough to turn us around on the back end? We need D help more than anything else.

Eichel's pass to O'Reilly was beautiful and so was O'Reilly's finish.

Pretty much just watching now for Eichel's play. I think he is only one back of Larkin for 3rd in rookie points. Hopefully if he finishes top 3 that results in a Calder nomination.

Edited by Thorny

This place is a bit off the rails tonight.  Maybe I'm not as mad because I hit the pond for the first time this year.  Utter perfection.

Franson was especially bad tonight, I thought.

His positioning in the D-zone was brutal.  And people used to call Myers woodenlegs...

-Jonathan Huberdeau is sick.  The set up for Jagr was a great play: burned Samson, drew the coverage, and hit oldie right in the sweet spot.  The deke on the 4th goal was McDavid-esque.

-Kane with another mixed bag of a game.  He played very hard, got a few bad angle shots on net, and made one or two terrible blind backhand passes.  Spinning and passing it to the other team instead of hitting a wide open #47 on the point really hurt to watch.

-Speaking of Bogosian, his offensive game is not very good.  I think he's actually got some ability, but Bylsma's system is so bad at involving our D-men in 5-on-5 play.

-Seeing McCabe's rookie struggles reminds me how hard defense is.  I feel for the kid, and still think he'll be a good one.  Tough game.

-Eichel had a nice 1st period then didn't do much after that.  Samson was just OK.

-Moulson needs to be on Eichel's wing or in the press box.

Edited by qwksndmonster

Quick observations:

Man, was Gorges just terrible. That first goal was 100% his fault. Went down low when he didn't need to and completely forgot the best RW of all time was hanging out in the slot

Can't remember which goal it was, maybe the 2nd, but the 2 -1 was Gionta's fault. He was all alone on the boards with a puck thrown around and he just completely missed the puck. The defender wasn't expecting it and it went past him too, and there's the 2 -1.

Ullmark looked bad going side to side again, at least when the puck was behind the net

Legwand. Has a perfect 3 vs 2 and not only does he pass to the wrong guy, but he completely misses him

Eichel's pass was simply amazing

Zemgus was directly responsible for another goal too. He completely whiffed on his guy in front of the net. Honestly, Zemgus was probably the worst player out there tonight. Constantly missing passes, turning it over, failing to corral passes. I have no idea where his game went

Our defense is atrocious. For the life of them they don't see the miles of open ice they can skate up into. And getting it out of your zone even with clear possession? Na, too hard

My buddy pregamed then double fisted pounders in the first 10 minutes. Then he blacked out for nearly the whole 2nd :lol:

I thought Zemgus had a rough night as well.

Easily the most disappointing Sabre for me. Him and Kane Edited by WildCard

The swede that we dont need.. ###### :( crap.

Sabres starting to look like MODO Hockey now.. hopefully Lehner can turn this shait around.

Don't blame Ullmark! He may have let in a bad goal or two but he, in general, is playing above his head. He is getting little to no goal support and is still a kid. I have high hopes for him for the future. :beer:

Don't blame Ullmark! He may have let in a bad goal or two but he, in general, is playing above his head. He is getting little to no goal support and is still a kid. I have high hopes for him for the future. :beer:

Im not blaming him that way, he has not yet been the god i know he can be.

Not compairing SHL to NHL, its just that Ullmark has this thing that makes some players special, like Eichle, and Ullmark has this 

as an goalie, he just needs more time in AHL i believe.

Not compairing SHL to NHL, its just that Ullmark has this thing that makes some players special, like Eichle, and Ullmark has this 

Good to hear. I like his demeanor in goal, seems to have a lot of confidence and sometimes even a bit of a swagger. I like it, and agree he needs some time in the AHL. I can see him as our goalie of the future.

We were spoiled getting Miller so soon after Hasek. I like getting spoiled though, so let's make it 3 in a row

Is Ullmark used to "being the man"? Did his teams score goals for him when he played there? Did he have to win every game 2-1?

I am still not actively rooting for us to lose, but this team is still a work in progress, we have some key injuries, and we are headed into a brutal stretch of the schedule.

Oh, and it's January and we are in the league basement.

I'd love to see us bottom out.  Why not.  Add another big time piece.

Because losing sucks, that's why not

Because losing sucks, that's why not

psst....we're losing....a lot

This trade deadline may be a good chance to offload some of the guys that don't look like they'll be part of the future moving forward.  There's not many teams completely out of it, so any available trade assets could be in high demand.  

I'd like to be winning more now, but this season is quickly slipping (has slipped?) away, so may as well look at what will be best for the team in the future.

People should remember GMTM's recent comment on WGR that the goal is to get younger.

yep.

i'm a little confused - just a little - over his statements about how the turnaround would be happening faster than many might expect.

maybe that's a bit of a smoke screen. or maybe he's legit pissed about where the team is right now?

yep.

i'm a little confused - just a little - over his statements about how the turnaround would be happening faster than many might expect.

maybe that's a bit of a smoke screen. or maybe he's legit pissed about where the team is right now?

I don't think he expected all of the vets not named O'Reilly to be giant anchors on the team's performance.

I don't think he expected all of the vets not named O'Reilly to be giant anchors on the team's performance.

I bet so. 

The best this team looked in last night's game was when all of the kids were out there together on that first Power Play. Eichel, Reinhart and Risto, making it happen. Our vets are doing squat. 

People should remember GMTM's recent comment on WGR that the goal is to get younger.

I think we're already the youngest team in the league, or very close to it. How much younger can we get? Getting rid of the vets means you become Edmonton. If anything I want to find a Jagr out there. Though much easier said than done.

I bet you he's not too upset with it either though. Besides Ennis, Kane, and Girgs

Is Ullmark used to "being the man"? Did his teams score goals for him when he played there? Did he have to win every game 2-1?

Well, he is the best goalie ever played the game over here comming from MODO's youth. 

He fought hard to get that n1 spot and kept it all the way eventhough our team basicly sucked he still won games for us playing unbelieveble, 

He gave the team the confidence they needed in games when the team sucked horse**** on the offensive. 

I so so so wanna see he do the same for buffalo sabres, unfortunatly he hasnt yet.

But then again this above is SHL, not NHL. So, yeah.. 

AHL will do him good. 

Edited by MODO Hockey

I think we're already the youngest team in the league, or very close to it. How much younger can we get? Getting rid of the vets means you become Edmonton. If anything I want to find a Jagr out there. Though much easier said than done.

I bet you he's not too upset with it either though. Besides Ennis, Kane, and Girgs

Are a bunch of washed up vets really doing anything to prevent this?

Are a bunch of washed up vets really doing anything to prevent this?

Honestly, I believe so. Look how much Jagr has helped the Panthers. Granted, yes, he is the ageless wonder, but you can't deny he might be the best trade Tallon has ever made for that team. I don't think Gionta or Moulson just have the same pedigree or vision to teach the younger guys that Jagr has; not that that's exactly easy to come by. But getting, I don't know, Kessler, Lecavalier, Iginla, Eric Staal...those are guys I think can be available and we can bring in to teach the kids more than just hustle, they can teach them where to be on the ice, what to look for, and how to win (well, maybe not Kessler in that department)

Side note, I spent a significant amount of time creepily staring at someone I thought was MODO last night. Then he spoke and I knew it wasn't him, but still I was disappointed. 

Edited by WildCard

We were spoiled getting Miller so soon after Hasek. I like getting spoiled though, so let's make it 3 in a row

Contrary to what you may believe about Miller, based on numbers, Miller, Ullmark and Johnson are all pretty even.

The myth that Miller was some sort of great, we were spoiled to have him, goalie is apparently still alive and well.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.