TBN piece on sagging attendance, enthusiasm in arena

PASabreFan

I remember the Nicholas Picolas debacle. That was funny. It was also fallout from Black Sunday.

Do we really want someone who can't come up with something better than "Nicholas Picolas" hosting anything?

I mean, even in "Bachelor Party," they had a better nickname for a guy called Nick.

Edited by Eleven

My two cents...I've been to Columbus, Carolina and Tampa (although those were a while back and/or special circumstances - ECF Game 6 vs Canes, and in 2005 for the Lightning following a job fair at the arena). 

I've been to Columbus a few times - once for Sabres game and a couple other teams.  Ironically (or not) the Sabres game had the best atmosphere, because there were so many Sabres fans there.  Other than that the Columbus atmosphere was fun and better than Buffalo, but nothing special or over-the-top that puts Buffalo to shame.

I agree about pricing out the "average" fans, and we're starting to see that here in Cleveland with the Lake Erie Monsters.  Ticket prices have gone up slightly, some of the special ticket and food/concessions offers have gone away or gone up, and the benefits have been pushed upwards into higher STH packages.

And with the cost of tickets in Buffalo, the only way we can afford a game (when we're in town) is through the secondary market.  

And with the cost of tickets in Buffalo, the only way we can afford a game (when we're in town) is through the secondary market.  

That's because you're a habitual line-stepper.  If you were nicer to people, instead of trying to imprint your Unity ring in their foreheads, you might get tickets more easily.

That's because you're a habitual line-stepper.  If you were nicer to people, instead of trying to imprint your Unity ring in their foreheads, you might get tickets more easily.

Very true.  I stopped doing that when a guy karate kicked me in the torso and my chest started filling with blood, tho.

Heya BM. Is that the kid in the avatar? If so he's getting big! We don't see enough of you around here. You are one of the lucky ones. You got out.

It is the kid.  He switched to goalie last year and split the season with another kid - alternating games in net and on defense. He's moved up to Squirt early and is playing full-time between the pipes.  He got his first ever shutout last weekend then got another on Saturday in a 3v3 cross-ice tourney.

Edited by Bmwolf21

It is the kid.  He switched to goalie last year and split the season with another kid - alternating games in net and on defense. He's moved up to Squirt early and is playing full-time between the pipes.  He got his first ever shutout last weekend then got another on Saturday in a 3v3 cross-ice tourney.

Cool helmet. You must be really proud.

Wanna go Rust Belt then? Pittsburgh, Detroit, Columbus, all these buildings put us to shame. Nashville, too. And St. Louis. There's just something amiss here. Kind of hard to put your finger on. I've heard people say the fans in Buffalo are so focused they have no energy to cheer or get excited, they are so transfixed by the game. I call BS on that one.

Nashville is a night and day difference from buffalo. The crowd gets into the game and don't get mad when you cheer.

Cool helmet. You must be really proud.

Thanks.  Definitely proud.  I never played ice growing up, so to watch what he can do at a young age impresses the hell out of me. He's got that mentality that he wants to stop every puck and doesn't like giving up goals.  

I was so happy to see him get his first SO last week.  Going back to last year he's had four shutouts lost in the final three minutes of the game. Two were fluke goals going in off his teammates' skates or sticks. He was getting a little frustrated lol

Helmet was a gift from grandma last Christmas.  Being a Star Wars geek I was stoked to see it - this is the Boba Fett design.  I tried to talk him into Vader but no dice.  Can't complain about Fett tho.

I'm not a big fan of the building itself. When it was brand new I thought it was 'nice', but nothing special.

The place is soon to be approaching 20 years old.  It is now below average as an arena. Does it doe its job just fine? Sure, but from the outisde it is bland, inside it is a step or two below some other places I have been in (Columbus, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Minnesota, Toronto, and Nashville...in the last 5-8 years).

Do the Sabres NEED a new Arena?  Of course not...but in just another 3-5 years..the place is going to still be 100% fine for its job, but will really be starting to show its age in terms of comparing it to other typical NHL arenas.   Even with that said, If Buffalo had a brand new Arena that was as nice as anywhere else in the league, I'm not sure how often I'd go to a game. I'm perfectly happy watching the game from home....being in the Arena doesn't bring much more enjoyment to me BUT it DOES bring a lot more expense and hassle.

I'm not a big fan of the building itself. When it was brand new I thought it was 'nice', but nothing special.

The place is soon to be approaching 20 years old. It is now below average as an arena. Does it doe its job just fine? Sure, but from the outisde it is bland, inside it is a step or two below some other places I have been in (Columbus, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Minnesota, Toronto, and Nashville...in the last 5-8 years).

Do the Sabres NEED a new Arena? Of course not...but in just another 3-5 years..the place is going to still be 100% fine for its job, but will really be starting to show its age in terms of comparing it to other typical NHL arenas. Even with that said, If Buffalo had a brand new Arena that was as nice as anywhere else in the league, I'm not sure how often I'd go to a game. I'm perfectly happy watching the game from home....being in the Arena doesn't bring much more enjoyment to me BUT it DOES bring a lot more expense and hassle.

How does it compare to what's around it? I've been to Sunrise (zero), Washington (Chinatown) and Dallas (don't remember much). The outside atmosphere has really improved in Buffalo. Edited by wjag

Wanna go Rust Belt then? Pittsburgh, Detroit, Columbus, all these buildings put us to shame. Nashville, too. And St. Louis. There's just something amiss here. Kind of hard to put your finger on. I've heard people say the fans in Buffalo are so focused they have no energy to cheer or get excited, they are so transfixed by the game. I call BS on that one.

Surprised to see you mention Columbus here.  There's only three reasons Columbus' arena has any atmosphere:

1) When the Sabres play here, 30-40% of the fans are Sabres fans and there's alot of good-natured heckling going back and forth between opposing fans, so there's some energy in the building.  Columbus' home fan base tends to be small and unenthusiastic.  When you've had two playoff appearances in 15 (going on 16) years that will happen.

2) The times I have been they've had a live band that plays during some stoppages, which is highly preferable to the ear-shattering pop music and other nuisances they play during all the other stoppages.  Those stoppages are just horrible beyond description and would be much better if the crap didn't for some reason have to be so agonizingly loud.

3) The cannon is awesome.

But otherwise, I've always thought of the atmosphere as "meh".

Edited by EastsideOasis

How does it compare to what's around it? I've been to Sunrise (zero), Washington (Chinatown) and Dallas (don't remember much). The outside atmosphere has really improved in Buffalo.

Probably middle of the pack, at best.

In Boston or NY, you are in (or very close to) th bustling parts of the city.

Columbus has one of the nicest areas near the arena, I think they call it the "Arena District".  Much more to do there than in Buffalo.

Nashville has theirs in downtown, 5 minute walk from Broadway, their entertainment district.

The ACC in Toronto is in a great location.

In Minnesota, when I was there the area wasn't surrounded by an entertainment district across the street, but is only a block or two from the river, and musuem..and in a pretty nice setting.

Once again, Are there places like you mentioned worse than Buffalo? Sure, but there are a LOT of places with newer, nicer Arenas than Buffalo inn nicer areas. Buffalo is mid-pack at best...Buffalo is mid-pack at best and as every year goes by it is getting worse.

Please don't tell me that Buffalo needs a new arena. Heck it's not that old. I could care less as long as tax dollars don't fund a new one.

I think if fan support/interest has fallen off it's due to not being in playoffs for a few years and the negativity of Buffalo fans and their willingness in expressing it. I think it does have an effect on fans. Last year particularly was bad and while getting the second pick was great I think fans were turned off to some extent by the whole tank thing and maybe lost interest almost without thinking they were.

Please don't tell me that Buffalo needs a new arena. Heck it's not that old. I could care less as long as tax dollars don't fund a new one.

I think if fan support/interest has fallen off it's due to not being in playoffs for a few years and the negativity of Buffalo fans and their willingness in expressing it. I think it does have an effect on fans. Last year particularly was bad and while getting the second pick was great I think fans were turned off to some extent by the whole tank thing and maybe lost interest almost without thinking they were.

I said over and over in my post that they don't NEED a new arena...the old one is fine and probably will be just 100% functional for years to come.   It MAY not even have a negative impact on how loud the crowd is.

But not needing one doesn't change the fact that in terms of how 'nice' it is...how much 'fun' it is going to it....the overall comforts and things it supplies....it is now middle of the road at best compared to the NHL at best..and within 5 years its going to be a lot closer to the bottom than the top.

No, they don't NEED one, but if you want an overall experience equal to or better than when you go to many other arenas..it is falling short....and if you don't want to read articles from out-of-towners saying the arena isn't up to the standard set by many other arenas...then you'll want a new one.

I hadn't watched a game live in 4 years. I enjoyed my arena experience for the game I went too. I actually thought the arena amenities were better than the last time I went. Maybe I am old school but I watch the game when I go, I loved hearing the intermission in the walkways and seeing the TV's in the concourse but I am not sure what else you would add to increase my enjoyment other than more entertaining hockey. Of course my game did have a really fun finish and the crowd got into it. In my personal opinion, the arena is all about family and kids entertainment and not about being a loud obnoxious hockey fan.  It is arena culture, not the arena itself IMPO that is the issue. I wish there was an adult only section where I could cheer and occasionally swear when a play didn't go our way without feeling guilty because a dad is at the game with his 5yr old kid.

I said over and over in my post that they don't NEED a new arena...the old one is fine and probably will be just 100% functional for years to come.   It MAY not even have a negative impact on how loud the crowd is.

But not needing one doesn't change the fact that in terms of how 'nice' it is...how much 'fun' it is going to it....the overall comforts and things it supplies....it is now middle of the road at best compared to the NHL at best..and within 5 years its going to be a lot closer to the bottom than the top.

No, they don't NEED one, but if you want an overall experience equal to or better than when you go to many other arenas..it is falling short....and if you don't want to read articles from out-of-towners saying the arena isn't up to the standard set by many other arenas...then you'll want a new one.

There's nothing the arena needs, or will need in the reasonably forseeable future, that can't be accomplished with a facelift.

What, specifically, do you think is lacking in the FNC?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.