What if the unthinkable happened?

Doohickie

Not this year, no way. Meaning Lindy would have the same success Dan is having

Lindy's a great coach, but all of his players are developed. If Reinhart, Jack, Risto, McCabe, Ullmark, and Pysyk had an extra 4 years right now, we'd be in tr same boat they are

Edited by WildCard

What if Darcy had been fired first and GMTM came in.  Assume Lindy guides us through the tank and we get Reinhart and Eichel.  Do you think we would being coming into the same kind of success that Lindy's seeing in Dallas?

I think we all know my answer to this.  It was stupid to fire him.

What if Darcy had been fired first and GMTM came in.  Assume Lindy guides us through the tank and we get Reinhart and Eichel.  Do you think we would being coming into the same kind of success that Lindy's seeing in Dallas?

I had this same thought the other day after someone made a comment (sarcastically) about Seguin having a coach who stifles offensive talent. I don't think if Lindy were coaching we would have gotten Reinhart and Eichel, as I think we would have probably squeaked out a few extra points over the years, but say we did then I would have to agree WildCard. I think that he would have us in a better position after next season than DD though. That's probably do to my own bias rather than anything I've seen.

I think we all know my answer to this.  It was ###### stupid to fire him.

I for one would welcome Lyndy back with open arms , love a coach with fire and he loves the sabres.

Things would have to go bad in dallas, wich I don't see happening soon, and Bylsma would have to screw it up here.

The move that has the Dallas Stars at the top of the NHL standings is the trade for Tyler Seguin not the hiring of Lindy Ruff. Without Seguin the Stars would be just another team in the league. The question for me is, where would the Sabres be right now if they would have fired Regier earlier and hired Jim Nill. 

No. We'd look largely the same.

Even still it is unthinkable because once the we set down the road to two consecutive tanks there was absolutely no way either coach or GM would have survived two seasons once the brutal hard truth of what it means to tank met reality.  Especially with a coach that had been here 16 years already.

IF ANYONE COULD CONTEMPLATE IT, it has to be you,,   :flirt:

But it's unthinkable!

No. We'd look largely the same.

Even still it is unthinkable because once the we set down the road to two consecutive tanks there was absolutely no way either coach or GM would have survived two seasons once the brutal hard truth of what it means to tank met reality.  Especially with a coach that had been here 16 years already.

I've always suspected Lindy and Darcy were asked if they wanted to go down that road and they said no, Darcy just a little later when "the extent of the rebuild" (to be determined by the owner, according to Darcy) truly became known. In other words, they got golden parachutes. Under this scenario, they were fired as a favor to loyal Sabres.

Why was it stupid to fire Lindy?

He is an outstanding NHL coach.

I was in that it's all Darcy and, going back a bit further Quinn's, fault, with 11.

That said, after 16 years, it was time, but Darcy should have done the decent thing and refused to fire Ruff and resign.  Let Pegula, or someone, fire Lindy.

Nobody ever said Lindy was a bad coach.   Sometimes good coaches get fired because a change is needed.   In Lindy's case, Darcy was heavily invested in his core and they largely tuned Lindy out (not Lindy's fault) because his message grew stale.    

Lindy is good NHL coach, I'm glad he's having success, although expect goaltending and defense will ultimately doom his club in the playoffs.

The general perception of Lindy by NHL fans on hfboards is that he's mediocre-to-bad, which is interesting considering the near-consensus here that he was at least a decent coach.

What do those ya hoos over there know anyway ... damn phone ... bloody thing spell phonetically.

The general perception of Lindy by NHL fans on hfboards is that he's mediocre-to-bad, which is interesting considering the near-consensus here that he was at least a decent coach.

Mediocre-to-bad?! Yeah that's a bit harsh. Dallas winning a Cup would probably be enough to help Lindy make the NHL Hall of Fame. He's a very good coach with a solid reputation around the league.

Nobody ever said Lindy was a bad coach.   Sometimes good coaches get fired because a change is needed.   In Lindy's case, Darcy was heavily invested in his core and they largely tuned Lindy out (not Lindy's fault) because his message grew stale.    

Lindy is good NHL coach, I'm glad he's having success, although expect goaltending and defense will ultimately doom his club in the playoffs.

Darcy's "core" consisted almost entirely of "non-Lindy Ruff" players.

Meaning, none of them were terribly hardworking, or focused on playing well without the puck, and around their own net.

That mess was on Darcy, 100% - Too bad the coach is usually the first to go, in those cases.

I'll just say that I enjoy watching how DD's team plays in its own end way more than I ever did watching a Lindy team do the same thing. And I'm pretty sure it's not personnel related. Let's hope he (DD) figures out the O-zone.

It's nice going consecutive periods without the every line being changed 

He is an outstanding NHL coach.

I was in that it's all Darcy and, going back a bit further Quinn's, fault, with 11.

That said, after 16 years, it was time, but Darcy should have done the decent thing and refused to fire Ruff and resign.  Let Pegula, or someone, fire Lindy.

Exactly

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.