Craig Patrick gone; Ken Sawyer lives

PASabreFan

Maybe I've missed the press release, but when did Craig Patrick go? He's out of this year's media guide. I am too lazy to find last year's guide to see if he was in it. Remember he was brought in when Murray was hired to be a senior advisor. What did he do, anyway?

Meanwhile, despite the feeling Ken Sawyer also went away, he's in the guide as a senior advisor and alternate governor, under finance/legal/administration. It's odd that his bio doesn't reference one accomplishment in his six seasons with the Sabres. Maybe he never had any say in hockey matters.

Is it safe to say Tim Murray is the titular head of the Buffalo Sabres hockey department? (This entire post was an excuse to use the word titular. Enjoy.)

He did come in with Lafontaine. They were introduced at the same press conference.

I read that his contract was not being renewed, I think that was around the draft.

Lafontaine brought in Patrick to be his sounding board.

It's pretty realistic to assume Murray is in charge now and decided he didn't need or want him in that role.

As far as Ken Sawyer goes, I guess he has influence with Pegula, but I've always thought of him as a business guy. I don't usually pay attention to those types unless they are getting in the way of the hockey department.

Unless he was special advisor to the fans, why would anyone have any expectations to know anything about anything he did?

I'm getting hung up on the word expectations. Expectations vs. interest? It's not the Manhattan Project. I expected the Sabres to give at least a hint as to what Craig Patrick was doing. Then again if there aren't media/interview requests, why should they? Not listing a single thing Ken Sawyer has done in six seasons with the Sabres is just weird.

There are people who do things that have no relevancy to the on ice product or at least no direct relevancy. There are also favors paid to others in hiring or throwing some "consulting" hours someone's way.  It happens. None of it impacts the Sabres salary cap and if Pegula wants to throw money places then I'm fine with it.  It's his money.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.