Did the NHL put the screws to the Sabres schedule?

SDS

Yeah, every NHL team's schedule has weird stuff.

Yeah, that's more or less what I was trying to illustrate. I think it evens out eventually between good stretches and bad stretches. I was looking through some teams' schedules and they look a whole lot worse than ours. 

Edited by IrwinNelson

Yeah, that's more or less what I was trying to illustrate. I think it evens out eventually between good stretches and bad stretches. I was looking through some teams' schedules and they look a whole lot worse than ours. 

Yep, that's what everyone was complaining about when we were out west so much early this year, but now that's behind us, so it's all good.

Call it whatever you want but there are six or seven two week segments where we are playing more that the playoff format of every other night. Don't think I've ever seen that before. I could be wrong but I do think there is some merit in paybacks a biotch. Here's your serving.  

Call it whatever you want but there are six or seven two week segments where we are playing more that the playoff format of every other night. Don't think I've ever seen that before. I could be wrong but I do think there is some merit in paybacks a biotch. Here's your serving.  

Naw, that happens.  It's even worse during an Olympic year.

Playoff format will occasionally have back-to-backs.

I listened with interest to that piece, as I was driving to a meeting (I usually don't listen otherwise).

The thing that struck me was how Paul seemed to be allowing his own personal experience of the grind to influence/inform his angle. In a way, it seemed like precisely the wrong way to come at a "story." 

My guess is that the Sabres requested shorter road trips and the bouncing around was necessary to make that fit into the overall league scheduling.

This was my sense as well. And what about all those wacky afternoon games that the Sabres (under Ted Black) had requested? I hafta think needing all those home weekend/holiday matinees played a role in having a weird schedule.

The Sabres don't have a single 4+ game road trip this season. Suppose that's shafting them as well?

Also strange.

Again, I bet it is much more noticeable on the plane than behind the computer.

Which goes to my point.

I'll chalk this up to... this year is a bit different.

It's just an anomaly.

Seems that way to me, too.

But it was good grist for the mill.

Most of the weirdness associated with this schedule resulted from Buffslo asking for more afternoon games.

Beat me by like 20 seconds 2 minutes.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I put this in the same category as any "the refs screwed us on purpose" claims: We all agree they are bad at what they do, but somehow they became amazingly adept at secretly pulling off coordinated conspiracies directed at one city's teams .... what are the odds?

The NHL screws up SO many simple things ... yet we're supposed to think a quirk in possibly the most COMPLICATED thing they do was done on purpose? To punish the franchise for doing something that has been done before many times? (How did they punish the Pens for taking for Lemieux? Oh right, only 2 Cups.) If they wanted to punish the Sabres, wouldn't it be easier and more effective to, say, go to USA Hockey and tell them to give PGH or STL the World Juniors?

Like I said, the schedule is complicated ... sharing buildings with NBA teams/concerts/the circus/etc ... The Kings had a 5-game trip through the Eastern time zone in November, are in a separate stretch of 11 of 13 on the road now, and have another 10-of-12 on the road stretch in Jan/Feb ... I wonder who they pissed off ....

Edited by BetweenThePipes00

It's an hour and a half flight to Vancouver from Edmonton. Bettman didn't send them to Siberia. Edm to Vanc to Calg (two days off before the Calgary game) vs. Edm to Calg to Vanc... like someone said, meh.

This is where my tin foil starts simmering. Paul works for the Sabres flagship station, after all. Now that he's brought it up twice, it starts to reek of something that filtered down from Brandon. Another crappy season, so let's get the fans riled up. The evil NHL empire is always a good villain in Buffalo. Something must explain the record!

I got an even stronger whiff of something during the LA game. Rob and Rick four or five times during breaks were ball washing that game as EXCITING! BLAMMO! FANTASTIC! POW! WHY CAN'T THEY ALL BE LIKE THIS!!!!??? SCHWING!!! It was a good game, but it was a 2-1 game that bores most fans.

The BS is really starting to flow. I wonder if the ticket situation and tepid fan interest have spooked some suits.

(Rob has also been on a "we need more fights, rock em sock em Sabres like the good old days" kick. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some garbage float onshore from the good old bad old days.)

Nope. I like it. See below, junior. Or above.

I thought it was pretty exciting myself. 

The travel on the last trip was odd as Edmonton/Calgary and LA/Anaheim are always back to back with a day off for a flight to Vancouver and San Jose, respectively. Or they open in Vancouver/San Jose then have a day for the flight to LA/Edmonton/Calgary and then play the back to back. 

What's odd to me about this year is that I believe Tuesday was their second 3 in 4/4 in 6 of the season and immediately on the heels of a western trip. That is a TON of hockey within the first 32 games and it, too is odd. 

Not saying it's a conspiracy by the league, just that it is odd and I can't recall such a schedule in years past. 

And it shows on the ice as they were skating in mud the other night. 

GO SABRES!!!

Do other teams have the week long holiday break that we have?

Each team gets a "bye-week" type break in their schedule for roughly 10 days. I believe last night was the Ducks first game in over a week. The Sabres just happens to come on the holiday break, further evidence that the NHL is trying to bone them over. How dare they give them the holidays to spend with their families.

I put this in the same category as any "the refs screwed us on purpose" claims: We all agree they are bad at what they do, but somehow they became amazingly adept at secretly pulling off coordinated conspiracies directed at one city's teams .... what are the odds?

Hey...you never know.  Some years back, there was a ref (now retired) who always seemed to favor whatever team the Sabres were playing.  In one of the game programs that year, there was a list of refs and the Sabres' record when they were officiating (now this is when there was just one ref).  The Sabres record was pretty close to .500 for each ref...except one.  Yep, you guessed it.  When the ref everyone loved to hate was in charge, the Sabres lost every game except one.  So....  ;)

Hey...you never know.  Some years back, there was a ref (now retired) who always seemed to favor whatever team the Sabres were playing.  In one of the game programs that year, there was a list of refs and the Sabres' record when they were officiating (now this is when there was just one ref).  The Sabres record was pretty close to .500 for each ref...except one.  Yep, you guessed it.  When the ref everyone loved to hate was in charge, the Sabres lost every game except one.  So....  ;)

Would love to see this list. "every game except one" ... like 1-6? 1-10? 1-345? I mean ... if it was printed in a program, the Sabres knew these numbers ... don't you think they would have taken it up with the NHL? That's not evidence, that's barely circumstantial ... 

But yes, 40 years ago with one ref and way less media attention and television coverage and no social media ... MAYBE one guy could carry out a vendetta ... at the risk of his job ... MAYBE ...

I know several people who work for the Stars organization in the front office, and have asked them the “scheduling” question before.

Here’s some things that I learned:

In early summer, each team submits to the league about 100 dates that would be available for their home games.

In early summer, some of the more busier arenas already know many dates that already have other events scheduled.

In order; Vancouver, San Jose, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Colorado and Dallas usually have their schedules set first, due to the “remoteness” of their locations.

Per NHL agreement with the players, Pacific time zone teams playing in the Eastern must have a minimum three-game road trip to Eastern cities.

Per NHL agreement with the players, Eastern time zone teams playing in the Mountain/Pacific must have a minimum three-game road trip to Mountain/Pacific cities.

Most teams prefer Edmonton/Calgary/Vancouver to be done on the same road trip, mostly because of customs issues (no border crossings).

Most teams prefer San Jose/LA/Anaheim/Phoenix to be done on the same road trip.

Teams prefer LA/Anaheim, Tampa/Florida, and NYR/NYI/NJD to be scheduled back-to-back nights so that the players don’t get distracted by the nice weather/big city. Players want days off between these games so that they can enjoy the nice weather/big city.

I know several people who work for the Stars organization in the front office, and have asked them the “scheduling” question before.

Here’s some things that I learned:

In early summer, each team submits to the league about 100 dates that would be available for their home games.

In early summer, some of the more busier arenas already know many dates that already have other events scheduled.

In order; Vancouver, San Jose, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Colorado and Dallas usually have their schedules set first, due to the “remoteness” of their locations.

Per NHL agreement with the players, Pacific time zone teams playing in the Eastern must have a minimum three-game road trip to Eastern cities.

Per NHL agreement with the players, Eastern time zone teams playing in the Mountain/Pacific must have a minimum three-game road trip to Mountain/Pacific cities.

Most teams prefer Edmonton/Calgary/Vancouver to be done on the same road trip, mostly because of customs issues (no border crossings).

Most teams prefer San Jose/LA/Anaheim/Phoenix to be done on the same road trip.

Teams prefer LA/Anaheim, Tampa/Florida, and NYR/NYI/NJD to be scheduled back-to-back nights so that the players don’t get distracted by the nice weather/big city. Players want days off between these games so that they can enjoy the nice weather/big city.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

I don't buy into this at all, but the schedule for the Sabres is very strange. We played Tampa four time in the first 15 games, played Dallas home/away in the same week, same with St Louis. A few other bizarre things come up too, but i don't think the league was after us. Im sure it was tough for those teams as well.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.