Tank 3.0

inkman

i'll keep saying it....

you will NEVER get players and coaches to "tank".....their livelyhoods are at stake.

Who is saying otherwise?

I am legitimately curious about your opinion of DB; are his decisions merely of the line combination variety, or are you referring to others ?

For me, his player usage and line combos are maddening.

Ask Schopp...

The only reason that such an active effort to tank made sense is that there were two generational players available in the draft last year. We had to end in last place to ensure one of them. With there being only one of those players available this year, as well as the draft rules changing, it just doesn't make any sense to tank again.

Edited by SwampD

The only reason that such an active effort to tank made sense is that there were two generational players available in the draft last year. We had to end in last place to ensure one of them. With there being only one of those players available this year, as well as the draft rules changing, it just doesn't make any sense to tank again.

Nope. But the natural suck that ends in a high pick won't hurt. Not rooting for it, though.

Does everyone still think Eichel is a generational player?

All right. Let's re-open the wound. This board continues to suffer from the fact that the term tank was never defined here. How is tanking different than rebuilding? I think tanking is something that's done on a game by game basis in order to increase the chances of losing a particular game. I don't think it's that common. The Penguins brought up a minor league goaltender late in the season preceding the Lemieux draft. That's tanking. Rebuilding is an overall strategy. The Sabres did a rebuild that was about as dramatic as ever seen, but it still wasn't a tank.

Incoming... heads up... trigger warning, as the kids say... Dan Bylsma's player usage reeks of tanking more than anything Ted Nolan did. Better, but not too much better —GMTM

Does everyone still think Eichel is a generational player?

No, and this is where any disappointment I have springs from. It's not Jack's fault, either. The media and scouts were the ones using the word.

Once I adjusted my expectations for Eichel, there's no real disappointment left. I'm happy to watch him grow, and have high hopes for his future. I just hope he gets to a Tavares/Stamkos/Getzlaf tier instead of expecting him to pass it.

Edited by Randall Flagg

All right. Let's re-open the wound. This board continues to suffer from the fact that the term tank was never defined here. How is tanking different than rebuilding? I think tanking is something that's done on a game by game basis in order to increase the chances of losing a particular game. I don't think it's that common. The Penguins brought up a minor league goaltender late in the season preceding the Lemieux draft. That's tanking. Rebuilding is an overall strategy. The Sabres did a rebuild that was about as dramatic as ever seen, but it still wasn't a tank.

Incoming... heads up... trigger warning, as the kids say... Dan Bylsma's player usage reeks of tanking more than anything Ted Nolan did. Better, but not too much better —GMTM

This is just silly.

I haven't noticed Legwand and Colaiacovo anchoring the power play.

No, and this is where any disappointment I have springs from. It's not Jack's fault, either. The media and scouts were the ones using the word.

Once I adjusted my expectations for Eichel, there's no real disappointment left. I'm happy to watch him grow, and have high hopes for his future. I just hope he gets to a Tavares/Stamkos/Getzlaf tier instead of expecting him to pass it.

This is where I am.

Jack at 19 is nowhere near Crosby, Lemieux, Gretzky, Orr at the same age. Not even close.

Still have hope for Perreault or Lafontaine level, but so far, to me, he screams Alex Mogilny.

2/3 the players were terrible their first year, and the 3rd had the same exact kind of year Eichel is having

This is just silly.

I haven't noticed Legwand and Colaiacovo anchoring the power play.

He can't make it too obvious! Seriously, explain Gionta's ice time and usage with almost no production out of him, and the constant line juggling, even the recent dismantling of a line that was going gangbusters.

2/3 the players were terrible their first year, and the 3rd had the same exact kind of year Eichel is having

I agree, and I think he can definitely get there. Hearing 'generational' for months had me thinking he'd definitely be better than those players, and approach Crosby's level, and I don't think that's going to happen now.

Again, I'm still thrilled to have Jack.

This is where I am.

Jack at 19 is nowhere near Crosby, Lemieux, Gretzky, Orr at the same age. Not even close.

Still have hope for Perreault or Lafontaine level, but so far, to me, he screams Alex Mogilny.

I'm thinking he will eventually develop into a Patty type player ... more of a setup man for his Mogilny.  IMO, Molginy was a pure goal scorer.  Do we have our current version of Mogilny?  I don't think so.  Am I confident that our GM will find him?  Not sure, but I bet that is what he is looking for now.

I'm thinking he will eventually develop into a Patty type player ... more of a setup man for his Mogilny.  IMO, Molginy was a pure goal scorer.  Do we have our current version of Mogilny?  I don't think so.  Am I confident that our GM will find him?  Not sure, but I bet that is what he is looking for now.

I was talking less style and more level of dominance.

I was talking less style and more level of dominance.

I think Patty was more dominant than Alex, but the two together were pure magic.  The greatest combo for the Sabres since Gilbert and Richard.

I get were you are going with this, but I still think our GM is looking for his Mogilny and not his Patty.

Place in the standings does not matter to me at all. Im looking for this team to finish with around 75-80 points which would be a big improvement over the last 2 seasons (currently on pace for 70)

There is still a long way to go before this team can be considered a Play-off contender. Good news is that they are set at center (1 to 3)and have a stud D in Risto.

Finishing in the bottom 5 and picking up a winger (Tkachuk, Puljujarvi, Laine, Nylander) or a LHD (Chychrun) to pair with Risto may not be the worst thing for this team long term.

Eichel`s biggest issue is that he hasn`t found chemistry with any of the wingers on this team yet. he is on pace for 25 goals and plays on PP2 and and Gionta as a winger. Think he is doing just fine.

I would think the transition from playing once or twice a week in college to 3 to 4 times is effecting him as well. 

Last year, I attended only one game because I live 4 hours away. I never thought in my life I would be at a game and not care about the outcome. It made me sick to my stomach and I didnt know if i would ever get the fun feeling back. Well this year that feeling came back about a week into the season and I enjoyed watching this team more than ever. Now that we are in the position we are in and we havent heard a lick from GMTM about the situation, I am getting a little nervous again. GMTM said we will get and  be better than last season, but idk if were playoff ready yet. So my question to GMTM is where are you? and why hasnt anything been addressed? We are 1 pt out of last place, and there hasnt been a presser or anything.

Last year, I attended only one game because I live 4 hours away. I never thought in my life I would be at a game and not care about the outcome. It made me sick to my stomach and I didnt know if i would ever get the fun feeling back. Well this year that feeling came back about a week into the season and I enjoyed watching this team more than ever. Now that we are in the position we are in and we havent heard a lick from GMTM about the situation, I am getting a little nervous again. GMTM said we will get and be better than last season, but idk if were playoff ready yet. So my question to GMTM is where are you? and why hasnt anything been addressed? We are 1 pt out of last place, and there hasnt been a presser or anything.

Do GMs normally hold press conferences to explain outcomes of games? That what coaches do after games. If you want GMTM's opinion catch him on WGR. He's very open and honest about most things.

Eichel`s biggest issue is that he hasn`t found chemistry with any of the wingers on this team yet. he is on pace for 25 goals and plays on PP2 and and Gionta as a winger. Think he is doing just fine.

I would think the transition from playing once or twice a week in college to 3 to 4 times is effecting him as well. 

we are starting to see why GMTM was so upset on lottery night. I love Eichel and he will be a star in this league for a long time - he just isn`t Connor McDavid.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.