Tank 3.0

inkman

Couple thoughts:

• As someone (Wildcard?) pointed out somewhere, the Sabres need to go something like 26-11 to get to 91 points this season, or 30-7 to get to 98 points (where #8 qualified last season, abnormally high). The Sabres are not going to win 2 of 3, never mind 3 of 4 for the rest of the season. Playoffs are extremely unlikely.
  • Now that playoffs are almost out of the picture, you need to evaluate what you have. The Sabres more or less know what they have in Johnson (borderline NHL starter on the last year of his deal) and the Sabres more or less know what they have in Ullmark (kid is a bit raw but shows some real promise once he gets used to the NA game). What they don't know is what Lehner is going to look like post-injury. The only way to know that is for him to play as much as he is possible.

Couple thoughts:

• As someone (Wildcard?) pointed out somewhere, the Sabres need to go something like 26-11 to get to 91 points this season, or 30-7 to get to 98 points (where #8 qualified last season, abnormally high). The Sabres are not going to win 2 of 3, never mind 3 of 4 for the rest of the season. Playoffs are extremely unlikely.
  • Now that playoffs are almost out of the picture, you need to evaluate what you have. The Sabres more or less know what they have in Johnson (borderline NHL starter on the last year of his deal) and the Sabres more or less know what they have in Ullmark (kid is a bit raw but shows some real promise once he gets used to the NA game). What they don't know is what Lehner is going to look like post-injury. The only way to know that is for him to play as much as he is possible.

Promo actually pointed that out originally, I just rolled with it because it's fun to root for the team for the first time in 2.5 years. In all odds we're a lock for a top 5 pick, but that's not going to stop me from rooting for these guys like we're a 3rd seed.

Even Chicago with their spectacular, gold-bar standard for tank and rebuild, didn't hit the playoffs in their first post-tank year.  But they did better - much better - than the previous year.  That's my only hope for this season;   and it looks good so far.   

Let's start worrying about playoffs this fall.   This is a season to enjoy a much more competitive Sabres team, as we've been able to these past 2 excellent games.   There's no slugs out there on the ice like Leino or Hodgson;  that makes it much more watchable for me.  

Even Chicago with their spectacular, gold-bar standard for tank and rebuild, didn't hit the playoffs in their first post-tank year.  But they did better - much better - than the previous year.  That's my only hope for this season;   and it looks good so far.   

Let's start worrying about playoffs this fall.   This is a season to enjoy a much more competitive Sabres team, as we've been able to these past 2 excellent games.   There's no slugs out there on the ice like Leino or Hodgson;  that makes it much more watchable for me.  

Chicago never tanked.  They missed the playoffs 9 out of 10 years prior to their rise.  They were bad because they had an owner that made OSP look like a credit card addict.

Promo actually pointed that out originally, I just rolled with it because it's fun to root for the team for the first time in 2.5 years. In all odds we're a lock for a top 5 pick, but that's not going to stop me from rooting for these guys like we're a 3rd seed.

We're not going to end up with a top 5 pick.  Care to engage in another Avatar bet?

Couple thoughts:

Not yet. Not yet. My friend... grow a set. This isn't preseason. They still have a shot at the playoffs. Too soon to pull the rip cord.

What if he comes up small but still shoves it in everyone's face?

Maybe it'll be a softie but still get the job done!

We're not going to end up with a top 5 pick.  Care to engage in another Avatar bet?

When Buffalo is on a hot streak, they jump up a few spots in the range of 25th place.    When they're not hot, they're a bottom 2 team..... so they yo-yo between 30th and 25th.

A 5th or worse place finish is all but guaranteed my friend.   

When Buffalo is on a hot streak, they jump up a few spots in the range of 25th place.    When they're not hot, they're a bottom 2 team..... so they yo-yo between 30th and 25th.

Yes, but that's not the proposed bet.  The bet is a top 5 pick.  With these lottery rules, that's very different.

I'll go with an avatar bet with you.  If the Sabres pick in the top 5 then you get to pick my avatar for the entire offseason.  If the Sabres pick outside of the top 5 I pick yours.  You on?

Not yet. Not yet. My friend... grow a set. This isn't preseason. They still have a shot at the playoffs. Too soon to pull the rip cord.

I've posted it elsewhere: The current low wildcard projects at 89 points. If the Sabres can go 20-9-7, they'll finish with 89 points.

And yes, that seems unlikely. But ... 20-16 seems more doable. And that's what that record would sorta mean. 

I'll go with an avatar bet with you.  If the Sabres pick in the top 5 then you get to pick my avatar for the entire offseason.  If the Sabres pick outside of the top 5 I pick yours.  You on?

I'll say they finish with 79 points in 27th (4th) place, which gives them a 58% chance of a top 5 pick.   

You're on.

I'll say they finish with 79 points in 27th (4th) place, which gives them a 58% chance of a top 5 pick.   

You're on.

Deal Internet Handshake

I just want to see that creepy island guy again.

Oh someone is getting a creepy avatar come mid April.

I can't believe there are people still holding onto hope for the play-offs. But for $hits and giggles - lets say they make a miraculous run to 8th, is there anyone who thinks they have a hope against the Capitals? 

I know this is probably an unpopular opinion but if the team isn't a cup contender then we are "sellers" at the deadline. This means Johnson, McGinn and Weber are all gone in a couple of weeks. In order to become a "cup" contender they still need to find another high-end talent be it winger or LHD and where do you find said talent? at the top of the draft.

Which brings me to - who the hell are those people who think we should keep McGinn? He is an UFA! what is the point of keeping him to maybe get you to 10th in the conference and 20th overall and then seeing him walk in the summer. MAKES NO SENSE!

Best thing for this team long term is get to 73 to 75 points and end up in bottom 3 to 5 in the league.

I can't believe there are people still holding onto hope for the play-offs. But for $hits and giggles - lets say they make a miraculous run to 8th, is there anyone who thinks they have a hope against the Capitals? 

I know this is probably an unpopular opinion but if the team isn't a cup contender then we are "sellers" at the deadline. This means Johnson, McGinn and Weber are all gone in a couple of weeks. In order to become a "cup" contender they still need to find another high-end talent be it winger or LHD and where do you find said talent? at the top of the draft.

Which brings me to - who the hell are those people who think we should keep McGinn? He is an UFA! what is the point of keeping him to maybe get you to 10th in the conference and 20th overall and then seeing him walk in the summer. MAKES NO SENSE!

Best thing for this team long term is get to 73 to 75 points and end up in bottom 3 to 5 in the league.

Well, before the weekend I would have doubted it, but now, still doubt it but at least it's in the range of possibility.

I understand why people want to see McGinn stay, but I agree with you 100%. If the team is a seller at the deadline (they will be), then you must get value for the guy and then ask him, pretty please, take a serious look at your team when July rolls around.

I understand why people want to see McGinn stay, but I agree with you 100%. If the team is a seller at the deadline (they will be), then you must get value for the guy and then ask him, pretty please, take a serious look at your team when July rolls around.

Ok.  Since I want an actual player back for him, and since that's not going to happen, it had better be a first round pick that Murray can use to trade for an actual player before the draft.  I have no interest whatsoever in trading McGinn for a NHLer in 2021.  Zero.

Ok. Since I want an actual player back for him, and since that's not going to happen, it had better be a first round pick that Murray can use to trade for an actual player before the draft. I have no interest whatsoever in trading McGinn for a NHLer in 2021. Zero.

Everything Murray has done is aligned with your thinking. A 20-24 year old will be the end result.

Everything Murray has done is aligned with your thinking. A 20-24 year old will be the end result.

I don't know.  It's going to take two things:  (1) a team willing to give up a first for McGinn, and (2) a team willing to trade a player for a first over the summer.

I think this is right.  GMTM will sell off a number of guys, accumulate picks and prospects, and use some of those as currency at the draft or over the summer to bring in a ready-to-go NHL player or 2. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.