Sabres broadcasts in a state of flux

PASabreFan

"In front, O'Reilly, and the game is tied" just has to go. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I need my score!, goal! or buuuuuuuu.

I do too, especially if I step away from the TV for a minute. The goal call is noticeable. Even if there are others in the house who aren't as glued to the game, when they hear a goal called they come in to watch. With Dunleavy, unless I say something nobody knows. His voice barely climbs when  it starts to get exciting. Casual fans in the house will come watch if they hear it getting exciting. 

(New post) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Barnaby was on XM the other day talking about how happy he was when Dallas beat BFLO in the finals. Wasn't so much that he was happy about something that happened so long ago, it was the fact that he had to bring it up again because he was so proud of the fact. 

As a general rule I hardly ever listen to other teams broadcasts but in watching the Sabres v Sharks game here in NorCal I was forced to (didn't listen to wgr app) and their broadcasters spent the entire first period, save 3-4 minutes where they called play by play, praising Jack Eichel and discussing the Sabres. The color guy got tired of it after a while.

Dunleavy does the road games that RJ doesn't want to travel to. Biron subbed because May had a charity commitment last night, but will be back in Dallas.

I liked Paul Hamilton's play by play during the rookie tournament. He'd be a better replacement than Dunleavy.

Dunleavy does the road games that RJ doesn't want to travel to. Biron subbed because May had a charity commitment last night, but will be back in Dallas.

I liked Paul Hamilton's play by play during the rookie tournament. He'd be a better replacement than Dunleavy.

PHam would be in his glory! Instead of just post-game interviews he'd have all game to shame the players in which he's gained their trust. :angel:

Frankly I'm happy that they are considering alternatives.  Rayzor and May just aren't that good, and I'm not sold yet on Dunleavy either.

Ray is very good. I think he brings an honest players perspective to the color commentary, and has a good sense of humor to boot.

As far as I can gather from Twitter, Barnaby hates everything Buffalo.

you wouldn't be able to tell from the way he hob nobs when at the Amherst Ale House.

My friend and I were switching from game to game last night on GCL. We couldn't believe how many other color guys sounded exactly like Ray.

Lots of 'I seen', Acrost,'no,you're right' and 'good jobs'?

I doubt it. Rob brings his own special brand of uneducated Canadian to the table.

Ray is very good. I think he brings an honest players perspective to the color commentary, and has a good sense of humor to boot.

you wouldn't be able to tell from the way he hob nobs when at the Amherst Ale House.

I agree. Every time I watch the local broadcast I realize Ray is a very good color commentator. He provides true insight and he can see what goes on on the ice. He's 10x better at his job than Steve Tasker IMO.

Brad May was screwing up. I remember during an intermission a few games ago May was sitting with Duff and was naming three players and said "Player A, Player B, and.....what's that guy's name again?" Duff just started laughing, but in amazement. His first game I thought May had something, but he's just gotten more stiff and reliant on the script.

Biron looked nervous, talked too quiet, and I had difficulty understanding what he was saying through his accent. He needs to speak up and talk with more confidence. Hopefully that will come. 

I agree. Every time I watch the local broadcast I realize Ray is a very good color commentator. He provides true insight and he can see what goes on on the ice. He's 10x better at his job than Steve Tasker IMO.

Brad May was screwing up. I remember during an intermission a few games ago May was sitting with Duff and was naming three players and said "Player A, Player B, and.....what's that guy's name again?" Duff just started laughing, but in amazement. His first game I thought May had something, but he's just gotten more stiff and reliant on the script.

Biron looked nervous, talked too quiet, and I had difficulty understanding what he was saying through his accent. He needs to speak up and talk with more confidence. Hopefully that will come.

Biron has been on the NHL network and held his own.

Rayzer may be good at giving the players perspective but he hammers the English language while doing so. If everyone is ok with that I guess we'll take it.

Biron has been on the NHL network and held his own.

Rayzer may be good at giving the players perspective but he hammers the English language while doing so. If everyone is ok with that I guess we'll take it.

Never watched him on NHL network. I'm just going off what I saw during the Blues game. And he was nervous and quiet, and I could barely understand him.

Since when is strong command of the English language > insight? Dalai Lama packs stadiums and English is his 2nd or 3rd language. It's the content, not the delivery.

Edited by musichunch

My friend and I were switching from game to game last night on GCL. We couldn't believe how many other color guys sounded exactly like Ray.

Try listening to Ken Daneyko, he sound like he should be a WWF wrestler. And I agree, they all sound the same. Rob Ray isn't an outlier at his position.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

I could not possibly disagree more with this statement. Rob Ray brings zero value from a hockey Xs and Os perspective.

I could not possibly disagree more with this statement. Rob Ray brings zero value from a hockey Xs and Os perspective.

There is this though: the majority (vast majority?) of viewers don't want the Xs and Os. They probably want exactly what Ray is providing, a little insight, some generalities, some humor, Robby being Robby.

Which leads me to this: is the best time for analysis immediately after a goal? When Risto scored that game-winner with 16 seconds left, I think what I really wanted at that point was shots of the celebration, the players, the crowd, the bench... no commentary. Instead we got four replays and Rob robbing.

A 3rd member of the broadcast team, a REAL color guy is what they need. No need to trash Ray for something he probably wasn't meant to do in the first place.

Whether he was ever meant to be there or not, he's there. At some point he was offered the job and accepted it. There's no reason to treat him with kid gloves just because he started as the 3rd wheel on the broadcast.

Whether he was ever meant to be there or not, he's there. At some point he was offered the job and accepted it. There's no reason to treat him with kid gloves just because he started as the 3rd wheel on the broadcast.

He was hired to be an on-ice reporter, they already had a color guy. I don't think Ray was offered the job to be a color guy, they just made him RT's partner because they no longer wanted to keep a color guy. I think it's unfair to treat Ray like a professional journalist/announcer while Dunleavy gets away with mediocrity at best. And that's Dunleavy's job. I just don't get it........ Like I've said before, we're spoiled, we could have a lot worse. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.