Sabres broadcasts in a state of flux

PASabreFan

I'm a bit puzzled by what's been going on on the broadcast side of things. (Not puzzled by Rick not wanting to retire; have I mentioned that I called that?) Duff fills in for Dunleavy; Biron for May; Peters for Ray. Are they just having open auditions for jobs? It seems a little chaotic, and I'm not sure it's fair or comfortable for the regulars. Don't you "take your team to training camp"?

I'll add a small footnote to this and mention that at least two games have not been simulcast (different play by play guys on TV and radio). Why just two? Seems like they're winging it a bit.

Can't link to it now, but Barnaby was tweeting at Ray (and someone else -- May?) last night about how a word he'd used -- "acrossed"? -- was only a word in his hometown in ONT (wherever that is).

I know these guys are all friends to varying degrees, but it was maybe sorta sh!tty of Barnaby to do that. He must know that Ray feels the heat.

Can't link to it now, but Barnaby was tweeting at Ray (and someone else -- May?) last night about how a word he'd used -- "acrossed"? -- was only a word in his hometown in ONT (wherever that is).

I know these guys are all friends to varying degrees, but it was maybe sorta sh!tty of Barnaby to do that. He must know that Ray feels the heat.

Barnaby is a giant tool. I wouldn't be surprised if May and Ray aren't as good of friends with him as fans would like to believe. 

I'm fine with leaving Ray on the ice level and reporting on on-ice emotions and what's going on at a visceral level... chirps, emotions, injuries, etc.

But get somebody that can analyze a bit in the booth with RJ.

There is a lot of things happening that can be broken down 

that I just can't see from the broadcast camera. 

Edited by X. Benedict

At least May has improved because this is all new to him. Dunleavy on the other hand hasn't improved at all. Like was mentioned last night in another thread, he's got a pretty good voice but he's just not that good.

"In front, O'Reilly, and the game is tied" just has to go. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I need my score!, goal! or buuuuuuuu.

I like Duff and Dunleavy for between period stuff but if you are like me and listen to many games rather than watch on tv it is painful to listen to Duff or Dunleavy do play by play on radio. You can't even tell half the time where the puck is or which team has it. On tv you don't notice it so much. Hopefully if RJ retires they can get someone better than Duff of Dunleavy for radio play by play.

"In front, O'Reilly, and the game is tied" just has to go. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I need my score!, goal! or buuuuuuuu.

I think the game is tied is pretty descriptive of what just happened.

I like Duff and Dunleavy for between period stuff but if you are like me and listen to many games rather than watch on tv it is painful to listen to Duff or Dunleavy do play by play on radio. You can't even tell half the time where the puck is or which team has it. On tv you don't notice it so much. Hopefully if RJ retires they can get someone better than Duff of Dunleavy for radio play by play.

I share your frustration when having to listen to the radio but there is nothing that can really be done about it when games are simulcast. If you are watching the game as a vast majority are, you really don't want them constantly telling you what you can already see.

I think it stems from Dunleavy not being a Sabres fan. Maybe RJ wasn't to start but he's the biggest Homer you'll find and the fans adore him for it. I like an announcer being all charged up but it isn't a deal breaker. That being said,it shouldn't be hard to find a guy.

Barnaby is a giant tool. I wouldn't be surprised if May and Ray aren't as good of friends with him as fans would like to believe. 

Not a big fan of Barnaby either but he and Ray were good friends and even business partners for a time. Not sure if that is still true. I do know that Barnaby has nothing to do with the hot dog places but not sure about Ray's other business interests.

Not a big fan of Barnaby either but he and Ray were good friends and even business partners for a time. Not sure if that is still true. I do know that Barnaby has nothing to do with the hot dog places but not sure about Ray's other business interests.

As far as I can gather from Twitter, Barnaby hates everything Buffalo.

I'm fine with leaving Ray on the ice level and reporting on on-ice emotions and what's going on at a visceral level... chirps, emotions, injuries, etc.

But get somebody that can analyze a bit in the booth with RJ.

There is a lot of things happening that can be broken down 

that I just can't see from the broadcast camera. 

I know many here didn't like Harry Neale, but I did and I thought he was quite good at this.

As far as I can gather from Twitter, Barnaby hates everything Buffalo.

Perhaps the roads were unkind to his Porsche's rims once upon a time.

I think it stems from Dunleavy not being a Sabres fan. Maybe RJ wasn't to start but he's the biggest Homer you'll find and the fans adore him for it. I like an announcer being all charged up but it isn't a deal breaker. That being said,it shouldn't be hard to find a guy.

Jack Edwards begs to differ. In the most annoying way possible.

He was pretty excited. My problem with the call is leaving out the "he scores" part. Maybe it doesn't bother others as much. "Kelly throws to the end zone. Reed... and the Bills take the lead." It's just odd.

I think Dunleavy will become more comfortable as he goes, he's walking in RJs shadow, sitting in RJs chair. I think Razor speaks pretty well for a guy who's been battered about the head as much as him and May is still learning. All in all the broadcast is better than alot of em, most of em are just terrible to listen to.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.