GDT: Buffalo @ Florida, 7:30 est, 11/12/2015

WildCard

(haven't read the thread yet)

Coach's challenge on offsides is still terrible.  What are players supposed to do if they see the ref blew the call?

I have no idea why HD had Franson on the PK again.  The pass that set up the goal went right through him.

Samson had a terrific game tonight.  He looks stronger on the boards every game.  That little stick wave before the tip to avoid being tied up was nifty.  Reminds me of Vanek.

Zemgus still can't buy a bucket.

Risto with another strong game, Pysyk as well.

Eichel was quiet tonight.

Gionta and Moulson both finally started showing some chemistry with O'Reilly.  Nice to see the captain finally pot one.  His celebration was pretty great, too.  Dude is probably harder on himself than we are.

(haven't read the thread yet)

Coach's challenge on offsides is still terrible.  What are players supposed to do if they see the ref blew the call?

I have no idea why HD had Franson on the PK again.  The pass that set up the goal went right through him.

Samson had a terrific game tonight.  He looks stronger on the boards every game.  That little stick wave before the tip to avoid being tied up was nifty.  Reminds me of Vanek.

Zemgus still can't buy a bucket.

Risto with another strong game, Pysyk as well.

Eichel was quiet tonight.

Gionta and Moulson both finally started showing some chemistry with O'Reilly.  Nice to see the captain finally pot one.  His celebration was pretty great, too.  Dude is probably harder on himself than we are.

Though I was initially ok w/ it, I'm coming around to either they need to drop it or give a 30 second / 1 minute limit to reviews. If it takes 5 minutes to determine a call should be overruled, there's no reason to assume looking at it for another 5 wouldn't convince the ref it should stand. And vice versa.

The point of the review is to overturn egregious errors. The Kane goal that was overturned was legit - though it took WAY too long to decide. This one, should have stood as called IMHO.

Its starting to grow on me.

Had to see the head save from Ullmark, man he was sprawling and took way to long to get up, seems like he popped his head up just when he took the shot :D

That being said he was being barraged from all sides it seems.

Other than those couple times when he looks like he's getting pulled across his crease by a tugboat, Linus looked real good.

Couldn't really figure out how the third line was lining up tonight. Sometimes it looked like Samson was centre, other times Zemgus, and I'm not just talking faceoffs.

Nice to see Gionta rounding back into form, and I'm not just talking the goal.

Jack should not have been on the ice at the end.

D-Lo needs to get back in immediately.

Nice to win when we don't necessarily to deserve it.

Two points closer to the post-season. :thumbsup:

Edited by dudacek

Just got finished watching the Bills game after going to the Sabres game. Somehow I managed to get home without hearing any updates of the football game. So without really reading this thread yet, here's my observations.

-Yes it's important that kids get involved in hockey, attend games, etc...... but tonight it felt like I was at a damn elementary school. I really miss the days when hockey was somewhat of adult entertainment.

-Panthers and Sabres fans alike were more concerned about their damn phones than they were the game. If the lights went out, the place could have been illuminated by all the phone screens. It looked like a halftime show where they hand out light sticks to all the spectators.

-I really wish I knew why Panthers-Sabres games are always duller than a butter knife.

-Sabres got away with one tonight. They were slow and sloppy with the puck. They were fortunate to play a team in a skid. The Panthers did what they always do, control the perimeter but never have somebody with enough balls to plant themselves in front of the net.

-Sabres D did an excellent job clearing out the front, Leenus had a clear view on many shots from the outside.

-O'Reilly continues to show us why he needs to be considered one of the best all-around players in the NHL. Even when he doesn't contribute offensively, he's always doing something else to help.

-Franson had one of his better games.

-Risto found a way to be around the puck the entire game, whether it was defensively or getting in on the offense. He doesn't look out of place at all with his newfound responsibilities.

-Eichel...................meh.

-Ullmark looked smooth, very few rebounds (despite the shots on goal) and he had to make a bunch of real quick saves that he made look easy. It's going to be interesting to see what happens when Lehner comes back.

-I still don't understand where the Gionta criticism comes from, he was the best player on the ice tonight. This is the 2nd game I've seen him live and he was one of the better players on the ice last game. I think part of the reason people think he's slow and behind the play when they take the puck up ice is because he gets involved deep behind the net, helping out the defense when it's needed. I know it's popular to make him the whipping boy because he's the old man of the group, but he's doing more away from the camera than you might think.

-I don't think goals should be called back for minor goaltender interference that didn't really affect the play. With that said, I've seen less contact made in goals that were disallowed after a challenge.

-Panthers lost a typical game of a team in a skid, Sabres got two points when they shouldn't have. It makes up for the Pittsburgh game they should have won.

Anyone know why Deslauriers was a scratch?

To give Schaller a game?  Otherwise it's a puzzling move.  Could it have been maintenance related.  Starting Legwand on a wing is asinine. 

I absolutely enjoyed the Larsson-Girgensons-Reinhart line.  Whenever a combo of Larsson and Reinhart are on the ice together, the line just works hard.  I would prefer to see Larsson with Eichel and Ennis.  That could be fun.  I was going to complain about Gionta on the top line, but he scored so I guess I will let that slide.  Franson played poised carrying the puck into the zone.  The wall work was impeccable!  Ullmark made the saves he had too.  I feel so bad for Lehner, because he might be losing his grip on the number one roll.  Johnson could see himself waived.   There's no reason to send Linus down anytime soon.  

I think if Ullmark wins 90% of his games, he still gets sent down upon Lehner's return. Lehner will get his shot at the top job for this year at least. (Now if he comes back and he's horrid, that will change things, but I still think he gets his shot with Ullmark down in Rochester.)

The point of the review is to overturn egregious errors. The Kane goal that was overturned was legit - though it took WAY too long to decide. This one, should have stood as called IMHO.

That's it. You don't want a play that's three feet offside deciding a playoff series. But how do you do that without getting out the magnifying glass on a goal in November in Sunrise? They should have set a time limit. Goal must have been scored within five seconds of the infraction to be overturned. And you get one look at a replay, no double dipping. How about allowing the challenge only in tied or one-goal games in the third period or overtime? Playoff only challenge? There has to be a better way. (And I'd say most fans would agree the better way would be to just live with a mistake that ends up having very little to nothing to do with any eventual goal.)

That's it. You don't want a play that's three feet offside deciding a playoff series. But how do you do that without getting out the magnifying glass on a goal in November in Sunrise? They should have set a time limit. Goal must have been scored within five seconds of the infraction to be overturned. And you get one look at a replay, no double dipping. How about allowing the challenge only in tied or one-goal games in the third period or overtime? Playoff only challenge? There has to be a better way. (And I'd say most fans would agree the better way would be to just live with a mistake that ends up having very little to nothing to do with any eventual goal.)

I think the whole thing is poor for hockey. It's just not the right sport for this. 

In Tennis for example, the replay is a stadium event. It's fun. 

In hockey it is just a buzzkill. Even commercials remove so much tempo in the stadium. Replays are toxic to the game. 

I think the whole thing is poor for hockey. It's just not the right sport for this. 

In Tennis for example, the replay is a stadium event. It's fun. 

In hockey it is just a buzzkill. Even commercials remove so much tempo in the stadium. Replays are toxic to the game. 

Not to mention it took them forever to decide on less than 1/2 a foot crossing the line.  It was a complete waste of time.  Good on Galante, but really this rule is like the speeding up rules in baseball.  Just ruddy pointless. 

Can't figure it out for the life of me.  Legwand's recent play certainly deserved a scratch.  Hope Des is okay.

Leggy is one of our top penalty killers and a very good faceoff guy.  He brings more than people around here give him credit for.

I went to the Leafs-Preds game then watched the Sabres game after DVR'ing it.  In both games, I feel like the NHL allows too much subtle clutching, interference, shoving, stick holds, trips, etc., etc., etc.  It makes for such a dull game and rewards big, physical guys over smaller skilled guys.  Nice to see the Sabres get the win, but I hate watching these crazy dull games (the Leafs-Preds game was shocking boring due to Babcock's "system," which is all about interference in all three zones).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.