GDT:Sabres at Islanders 11/1/2015, 7:30 pm

nfreeman

No power plays, tight game reveals a lot about what Bylsma thinks about his players five on five.

Eichel and Reinhart with their lowest, or close to their lowest ice times of the season.

After Risto's perennially ridiculous workload, Gorges leads the team.

Potato, on 01 Nov 2015 - 10:34 PM, said:

I'll be there on Saturday.  Am flying up to Buffalo for the Canucks game... because I have an addiction... and it's hockey.

Can I stow away in your carry-on on the way back?  I won't steal anything.  Promise.

I wouldn't be too concerned about one or two lines not gelling tonight when they've been hot the last couple of games. They just got the premium coverage leaving things open for Legwand, Moulson and Reinhart. That's one nice thing this team hasn't had in a couple of years, 3-4 working lines leaving the opposing team guessing as to how to defend them.

JJFIVEOH, on 01 Nov 2015 - 10:40 PM, said:

I wouldn't be too concerned about one or two lines not gelling tonight when they've been hot the last couple of games. They just got the premium coverage leaving things open for Legwand, Moulson and Reinhart. That's one nice thing this team hasn't had in a couple of years, 3-4 working lines leaving the opposing team guessing as to how to defend them.

Interesting take, and I like it.  I wonder if Bylsma has toyed with the idea of putting Jack on the fourth line, just to give him space for a shift or two until the other team figures it out.  And, now that you mentioned it, I wonder if this is part of the reason why Bylsma keeps re-ordering the lines; not just to look for chemistry, but as an experiment to see how a lack of structure affects his team, and the opposition's matching.  That'd be a really heady game, right there.

Interesting take, and I like it.  I wonder if Bylsma has toyed with the idea of putting Jack on the fourth line, just to give him space for a shift or two until the other team figures it out.  And, now that you mentioned it, I wonder if this is part of the reason why Bylsma keeps re-ordering the lines; not just to look for chemistry, but as an experiment to see how a lack of structure affects his team, and the opposition's matching.  That'd be a really heady game, right there.

Wax on, wax off?

They said on the Islander's broadcast that RJ made the trip because he wanted to call the Sabres' first game at the Barclays Center. Pretty cool.

It is cool, but I feel a little bad for Dan. Has he done a game yet? He's like the backup goalie who never starts.

No power plays, tight game reveals a lot about what Bylsma thinks about his players five on five.

Eichel and Reinhart with their lowest, or close to their lowest ice times of the season.

After Risto's perennially ridiculous workload, Gorges leads the team.

My bet on that is no pp/pk for Risto tonight

It is cool, but I feel a little bad for Dan. Has he done a game yet? He's like the backup goalie who never starts.

Dunleavy? He's called at least 4  games, I think

I don't think I worded that clearly. Risto still led the team with a sick amount — think it was over 26 minutes, despite no special teams.

Gorges though was only about a half-minute behind him tonight.

Jack and Sam down because of no PP team too. Jack still got 16 minutes though.

Edited by dudacek

I don't think I worded that clearly. Risto still led the team with a sick amount — think it was over 26 minutes, despite no special teams.

Gorges though was only about a half-minute behind him tonight.

Jack and Sam down because of no PP team too. Jack still got 16 minutes though.

I didn't see Eichel for a long period there towards the end of the 3rd. 

Question: How much of that outcome was affected by Tavares and Halak being out? It seems like a playmaker and a solid tender would have tipped the scales to at least into overtime.

On another note, this is another game that the officiating left a bad taste in my mouth. The trip before the icing and resulting timeout and several missed high sticks (on both teams) were just the cut and dry calls.

I'm almost done harping on the dump'n'mug interference non-calls but again it just seems like the league has the wrong interpretation on this IMHO.

I think it was the lockout year that they started coming down on players taking an extra whack at the goalie but not the D giving an extra shot to the guy just standing there and that didn't make sense to me. Or maybe a better example: the trapezoid rule nonsense (never saw the need for it). Either way, this seems just as odd there has to be a happy medium between any contact is interference and the current tackling is okay nonsense.

Dunleavy? He's called at least 4  games, I think

And I've hated every one, maybe it's because I caught them on the radio but it was hard to follow and... uninspired is the best way to explain it. Not calling goals or saying a penalty is coming and letting it go to break without saying on which team sort of stuff. Edited by Ottosmagic13

On another note, this is another game that the officiating left a bad taste in my mouth. The trip before the icing and resulting timeout and several missed high sticks (on both teams) were just the cut and dry calls.

I thought the Isles were hacking and whacking with impunity tonight.  Pretty tough to watch.  About half the Islanders' "hustle" was really just getting close enough to a Sabre to bludgeon him until he gave up the puck.  Tonight the New York Islanders were a bunch of hacks.

Question: How much of that outcome was affected by Tavares and Halak being out? It seems like a playmaker and a solid tender would have tipped the scales to at least into overtime.

I'm almost done harping on the dump'n'mug interference non-calls but again it just seems like the league has the wrong interpretation on this IMHO.

I think it was the lockout year that they started coming down on players taking an extra whack at the goalie but not the D giving an extra shot to the guy just standing there and that didn't make sense to me. Or maybe a better example: the trapezoid rule nonsense (never saw the need for it). Either way, this seems just as odd there has to be a happy medium between any contact is interference and the current tackling is okay nonsense.

And I've hated every one, maybe it's because I caught them on the radio but it was hard to follow and... uninspired is the best way to explain it. Not calling goals or saying a penalty is coming and letting it go to break without saying on which team sort of stuff.

I'd say having Bogo, Kane and Lehner to an extent evened that out.

My thoughts from being at the game: It was one of the more boring games I've watched recently but I'm really happy they pulled out a win. After two periods the Sabres only had 12 shots and the Sabres fans sitting around me all agreed it was slightly reminiscent of last year...but they turned it up in the 3rd and came out on top so I'll drink to that. The refs not calling a SINGLE penalty was also rubbish. I watched Gionta take a stick to the face and the trip on O'Reilly by egregious. My theory was the refs wanted to catch the end of the Mets game and wanted to move the game along.

Did anyone else think DB should have challenged the Islanders goal? Ullmark was knocked down by an Islander and the puck went in the net a few second later. I wonder how far back an interference call can effect the play.

Did anyone else think DB should have challenged the Islanders goal? Ullmark was knocked down by an Islander and the puck went in the net a few second later. I wonder how far back an interference call can effect the play.

I think RJ mentioned that a few minutes afterward. I think someone said the goal came too long after the interference.

Pretty good LGB chants after the goals, innit? Also, I might have been hearing things, but I thought I heard a hint of "ooh, ahh, Sabres..."

I didn't hear the warpath but there were a number of LGBs -- not just after the goals. And a ton of Sabres fans at the game.

Separately:

- I think Ullmark is the #1 until he loses it.

- the Sabres looked pretty tired until after the Isles scored. They came to life and had the better of the play for about the last 25 min of the game. Neither team was exactly storming the beach in this one.

- I think Zemgus and Moulson are developing good chemistry and Moulson has been pretty determined on the forecheck. I hate to say it but Gio has not been pulling his weight on that line.

- I counted four huge face off wins by ROR at the end.

- I don't think DDB will be too happy with this effort, but it's a nice win for a team that is trying to learn how to win close games.

- the Isles' forecheck dominated the game for the first 35 min of the game. Ullmark played very well during that stretch.

- they'll need to play a much better game than that to beat Tampa.

My theory was the refs wanted to catch the end of the Mets game and wanted to move the game along.

Well with five so far in the top of the 12th inning I think they got to see some of it.

Edited by beerme1

- the Sabres looked pretty tired until after the Isles scored. They came to life and had the better of the play for about the last 25 min of the game. Neither team was exactly storming the beach in this one.

How many times did this play out the other way around last year?  Good to be on the other end of that sort of thing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.