GDT: NJ @ Buffalo, 7:00 pm edt, 10/24/2015

WildCard

What was impression of Ullmark debut?

A few bad reads and he was late on a few cross crease moves, but I posted up thread that he is coming off double hip replacement surgery and missed of all camp, the preseason and is playing his 4th professional game in NA. I hoped for more but he probably played as well as could be expected. He is big though and seems very athletic.

I never think about the price paid for a player. I don't think Murray views it that way either. He acquires assets to build a team. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Does Murray go after a veteran goaltender? I'm sure this has to be something they're discussing.

Edited by hockeyhound

I'll say it again, it's not a dig on the goaltenders, it's the situation that Murray put them in.

What else did you want Murray to do? You can't have an ace at every position and backup spot. He could've cut Johnson and tried convincing a free agent to come be a backup here. I'm not sure there'd be a huge difference there. Might as well see what you have in Johnson as a backup.

Ullmark had his moments. He seems pretty good at tracking the puck through traffic, but his scramble ability and getting from post to post for pucks around the crease was poor to say the least

I thought he played the puck well.  That sounds very much like we punted well.

Ennis should be trade bait.... For all he gives, he takes away at some point.. You have jack #### eichel on your line and you go in 1 on 4,fall and turn it over

I think Ennis is valuable.  Every other team would be interested in him.  What would you want for him?

Does Murray go after a veteran goaltender? I'm sure this has to be something they're discussing.

I hope so. There were plenty of FA's that were available that I'd rather have in net right now. Granted, they may not have wanted to sign, but three of them played for the Sabres last year.

Ullmark had his moments. He seems pretty good at tracking the puck through traffic, but his scramble ability and getting from post to post for pucks around the crease was poor to say the least

I thought he played the puck well.  That sounds very much like we punted well.

I think Ennis is valuable.  Every other team would be interested in him.  What would you want for him?

I thought he looked pretty calm and composed for his first game.

I'm fine with the team this year.

We're coming off two historically bad seasons. Now we have an abundance of major offensive talent that's flying all over the ice, but hasn't been able to cash in yet. Defense is so-so and goaltending has been below average. 

This is what successful rebuilds look like folks:

1. Horrible seasons

2. Inconsistent losing seasons with flashes of greatness

3. More consistent winning seasons/low-mid playoff berths

4. Breakout year/top playoff seed/long playoff run

5. Long-term elite team/dynasty

I never think about the price paid for a player. I don't think Murray views it that way either. He acquires assets to build a team. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

With all due respect, I don't believe you never consider the market value of a player. I don't even want to search posts to rebut this claim, it's so...ridiculous. Every player has a market value that needs to be considered. The entire player acquisition system is set up around players' market values (which means how much they're paid, of course).

Ullmark looked kinda like Johnson last game: leaky.

His size and his positioning give me hope he can develop.

Lehner was supposed to be the man, is supposed to be the man and still might be the man.

Johnson is as good a backup as anyone else. This situation is as much on Murray as the 15 or 20 other GMs aiming to ride one goalie

I thought that was one of our weaker performances this year in terms of team defence.

Looked like Kane might have been a ligament. Did not look good.

I hope so. There were plenty of FA's that were available that I'd rather have in net right now. Granted, they may not have wanted to sign, but three of them played for the Sabres last year.

I thought he looked pretty calm and composed for his first game.

He didnt look out of place, but didnt make any really big saves.  I think the speed of the NHL game surprised him (expectedly so).  For his first NHL game, I'll go B-.

I'm fine with the team this year.

We're coming off two historically bad seasons. Now we have an abundance of major offensive talent that's flying all over the ice, but hasn't been able to cash in yet. Defense is so-so and goaltending has been below average.

This is what successful rebuilds look like folks:

1. Horrible seasons

2. Inconsistent losing seasons with flashes of greatness

3. More consistent winning seasons/low-mid playoff berths

4. Breakout year/top playoff seed/long playoff run

5. Long-term elite team/dynasty

Get outta here with your reasonable expectations. How dare you.

I think Ennis is valuable. Every other team would be interested in him. What would you want for him?

Nothing specific, but a top 4 Damn and a prospect could come back I believe.... We have some horses up front (minus Kane injury) I just think he's too inconsistent, and this dates back before this season

With all due respect, I don't believe you never consider the market value of a player. I don't even want to search posts to rebut this claim, it's so...ridiculous. Every player has a market value that needs to be considered. The entire player acquisition system is set up around players' market values (which means how much they're paid, of course).

Agreed.  I think GMTM thought about finances last year when he gave Mezaros $4 million.  That was a calculated tank move to look like a reasonable salary for a veteran while ensuring he got to the CAP floor.  That move was shrewd.  Franson this year was financially motivated.  No way he's on the team at $ 5 milion.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.