Cox article - Kane Trade a Bust

WannabeGM

Kane could easily have had two goals in his first two games. I agree with others, it's very premature. It's premature to judge anybody on this team 5 games into the season with a new coaching staff and 9 new players. 

I couldn't care less who smokes weed. 

I don't care about my fast food cook or hockey player, but I do care if my pilot smokes weed!

On a different note, I've heard from a friend of mine that Kane was rather fond of smoking weed (my friend played hockey in NA etc,.). I don't know if this is still true since it was a long time ago and it could be blasphamy for all I know. But it fits Kanes profile of being wild. Perhaps it isn't such big of a deal either, I don't know if weed hampers your ability to play hockey.

rather prematurely yes, I've already gotten a mancrush on him.

Don't all hockey players smoke dope?  I thought that was self evident.

I wouldn't call the trade a bust just yet for either side.

I would say that so far the Jets got the better end of the deal and it will be tough for the Sabres to get that changed. I believe that TM gave up way too much for Kane. When a player is being ran out of a locker room (Kane was not well liked and looked at as a problem) and a team is trying to dump them because they view the player as a problem, you can play hardball and should get the player for less then value cause your taking on someone else's problem. Throw in the other upper hand Buffalo had in that they could take on a player who wouldn't help them last season at all for guys who could help the Jets on their playoff run that year and he should have been able to make the deal for only a fraction of what he gave up (ie Myers and maybe a pick or the other guys without Myers, etc.).

TM did have an abundance of resources available to give up to get what he wanted, but a better GM could have kept some of those to use to restock the cupboards later or use in Another deal. It may come back to bite TM in the backside that he has been too willing to give up slot just to get what he wants (Kane, O'Reilly and Leaner)

Cox might have a better argument that the O'Reilly deal has been a bigger bust so far......

Let's say Myers and Bogo are a wash and even trade. Kane for Armia (questionable whether he'll ever see serious NHL time), Stafford (rental for two months), Lemieux (may have a Kaleta-like rep if he keeps elbowing heads into the boards), and a pick (50/50 shot to be in the NHL) isn't as bad a deal as you make it out to be. And it's not like this was happening in a vacuum, there were likely other teams calling on Kane as well.

This is the kind of trade Darcy wouldn't make because there's risk of the other team getting the better of it. It's too early to tell; if Kane flames out here, WPG wins the trade, obviously. All three of the picks/prospects could wash out as well, in which case Buffalo wins. Sure, Stafford resigned with WPG but there was no guarantee of that at the time, and we'll all have to see whether Stafford was a good signing anyway.

Edited by MattPie

I wouldn't call the trade a bust just yet for either side.

I would say that so far the Jets got the better end of the deal and it will be tough for the Sabres to get that changed. I believe that TM gave up way too much for Kane. When a player is being ran out of a locker room (Kane was not well liked and looked at as a problem) and a team is trying to dump them because they view the player as a problem, you can play hardball and should get the player for less then value cause your taking on someone else's problem. Throw in the other upper hand Buffalo had in that they could take on a player who wouldn't help them last season at all for guys who could help the Jets on their playoff run that year and he should have been able to make the deal for only a fraction of what he gave up (ie Myers and maybe a pick or the other guys without Myers, etc.).

TM did have an abundance of resources available to give up to get what he wanted, but a better GM could have kept some of those to use to restock the cupboards later or use in Another deal. It may come back to bite TM in the backside that he has been too willing to give up slot just to get what he wants (Kane, O'Reilly and Leaner)

Cox might have a better argument that the O'Reilly deal has been a bigger bust so far......

Nice post. This has been my point all along. With the dust pretty much settled from Murray cleaning house I just don't feel like we remotely maximized the assets he had to work with.

Every trade be has made I felt he over payed at the time of the trade. All of us were so happy just to have a new player or two coming our way we kind of gave Murray a free pass so to speak.

Big picture any clueless GM could have walked up and said "San Reinhart" "Jack Eichel". When all i really see other than that is an injury prone Bogosian, much maligned Kane, and a solid but nothing earth shattering O'Reilly I get a little worried. The rest of the main players - Ennis, Moulson, Pysyk, Risto, Foligno, Girgs, and McCabe are compliments of our good buddy Darcy.

Johnson, Lehner, Legwand, Deslauriers, Fransen, Larsson, and McGinn are the remainder of Murrays makeover. Call me not impressed.

On a different note, I've heard from a friend of mine that Kane was rather fond of smoking weed (my friend played hockey in NA etc,.). I don't know if this is still true since it was a long time ago and it could be blasphamy for all I know. But it fits Kanes profile of being wild. Perhaps it isn't such big of a deal either, I don't know if weed hampers your ability to play hockey.

rather prematurely yes, I've already gotten a mancrush on him.

Smoking pot doesn't make you wild.

Let's say Myers and Bogo are a wash and even trade. Kane for Armia (questionable whether he'll ever see serious NHL time), Stafford (rental for two months), Lemieux (may have a Kaleta-like rep if he keeps elbowing heads into the boards), and a pick (50/50 shot to be in the NHL) isn't as bad a deal as you make it out to be. And it's not like this was happening in a vacuum, there were likely other teams calling on Kane as well.

This is the kind of trade Darcy wouldn't make because there's risk of the other team getting the better of it. It's too early to tell; if Kane flames out here, WPG wins the trade, obviously. All three of the picks/prospects could wash out as well, in which case Buffalo wins. Sure, Stafford resigned with WPG but there was no guarantee of that at the time, and we'll all have to see whether Stafford was a good signing anyway.

this would be true if Kane was just a player the Jets were looking to move for assets to rebuild, but he wasn't, he's a top 6 forward that the Jets wanted gone. There's GMs use that to their advantage and don't have to give up a bunch to get them because they are helping the other team out by taking a headache (which he was to the jets) off their hands.

The trade wasn't horrible cause the Sabres got some good players in it, but there's no way it was a win for the Sabres. The sabres had the advantage and upperhand making the deal cause not many at the time would give up anything of value to the Jets that season for someone who wasn't going to help them til the next season. Since Buffalo was throwing their season anyways they could deal good roster players away for someone who can help the next year

I don't agree that the Sabres had the upper hand.

That was, by far, the first time Kane "misbehaved" and he wanted out of here for some time.

I am sure Chevy could have traded him long before the track suit incident.

If he didn't find someone to trade with, he would have held on to Kane until draft day.

You could even argue that he might have got more on draft day. (I would have offered Kane to the Canes for their chance at Hanifin and next year's 1st rounder or the three the Sabres got for Faulk and Hanifin but that's me.

The Sabres are missing a bona fide starting goalie and you won't go far in the league without one.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.