Eichel on Point on the Power Play

X. Benedict

One thing that I didn 't expect to see yesterday was Eichel on the Left point of the Power Play. 

It seems to make sense, he certainly has the recovery speed if he loses the puck, and frankly there isn't a great option on the left point.

Lost amid the euphoria with Eichel's goal yesterday was that this is a real coaching move.

Get Eichel icetime on the left point.

I hadn't seen that coming.

It looked like the second unit was:

Forwards: Kane, Larsson, Foligno

I like it.  That is the way Ovie is used in Washington, no?  Gives him lots of room to create and force play.

I think Washington uses the umbrella too in that Ovie really isn't at the point technically but down a little lower at the top of the circle. The insane thing about his sustained success there is that everyone knows it's coming, everyone knows where it's coming from, and it's the same thing every single time, and it works

I hate to pile on Teddy, but it sure seems like the Sabres are professionally coached this year.

Definitely night and day

I think Washington uses the umbrella too in that Ovie really isn't at the point technically but down a little lower at the top of the circle. The insane thing about his sustained success there is that everyone knows it's coming, everyone knows where it's coming from, and it's the same thing every single time, and it works

Definitely night and day

Yep, always works. :)

One thing that I didn 't expect to see yesterday was Eichel on the Left point of the Power Play. 

It seems to make sense, he certainly has the recovery speed if he loses the puck, and frankly there isn't a great option on the left point.

Lost amid the euphoria with Eichel's goal yesterday was that this is a real coaching move.

Get Eichel icetime on the left point.

I hadn't seen that coming.

It looked like the second unit was:

Forwards: Kane, Larsson, Foligno

As somebody else had noted earlier, the Sabres are primarily working an umbrella, so Risto is the true point man regardless of where the puck is and Jack & whomever is playing the other halfwall (had been Reinhart, expect it's Larsson now) slide back when the play is on the far halfwall.

Will the skill, speed, & size they can put out on the pp on both units, the Sabres could very well have a top 10 pp after the calendar has flipped (and we can have hopes of that even earlier - gotta learn the new combos & they should be fun).

Reinhart was the other forward yesterday.

Half his ice time was on the PP.

I haven't agreed with all of Bylsma's choices, but he is clearly smarter than most of us.

Last year, I'm not sure that was the case with the coach.

If I can't say anything nice, I'll just say I like Bylsma.  

It was his handling of lines that I had real questions about. He has surprised me every game. He's a coach. 

I'm very interested to see what lines he's landed on 20 games from now.

The good part is that he's trying lots of combinations.  So even after he settles, when the team hits the doldrums he'll have some ideas about who to move where.  Toward the end, Lindy was just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, but in his prime he was pretty effective at switching up lines as the season went on, or even within a game, to get a boost out of the players he had.  I think Bylsma is trying out the tools in his toolbox and will be at least as good as Lindy in that respect.

So much better than "Try Harder."

Edited by Robins Egg

I hate to pile on Teddy, but it sure seems like the Sabres are professionally coached this year.

This. Not to cast aspersions towards Nolan, but DD is just a more cerebral coach. I have seen more set plays off of face offs, regardless of zone, in three games than I saw in Teddy's entire tenure.

Of course, it helps to have the horses. But it also helps to have Gary Stevens riding it vs. the stable hand who is better left to mucking the stalls.

GO SABRES!!!

Yep, that's how he always gets open at the top of the circle. He's creeping in from the point.

Ovi doesn't even creep anymore. He just plants his big ass at the top of the circle while the PK drops into a small box and he just drops bombs on net.

I'd love to see Jack score 4 or 5 of those this year. And then lots of nifty goals like yesterday.

Ovi doesn't even creep anymore. He just plants his big ass at the top of the circle while the PK drops into a small box and he just drops bombs on net.

I'd love to see Jack score 4 or 5 of those this year. And then lots of nifty goals like yesterday.

Exactly 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.