GDT: Columbus @ Buffalo, 3pm edt, 10/12/2015

WildCard

440oolong.jpg

Its a bad joke about a poster that was getting upset about a point he/she was trying to make, then I can't remember who, just started posting bunnies. It was all part of the melt down during mid-tank. It did seem to have a positive outcome as a thread was started on how the make SS better for new posters.

Pinkish protuberances... it could have been worse.

Is it actually hanging out of his mouth there? During the game play? Is that, um, normal?

I'm not familiar of the Perreault image you reference. It more calls to mind for me Jordan with his tongue.

Also, funk me, but if you Google Image search Eichel Sabres this is on your first page of hits.

BybRSsoIEAAuxXR.jpg

Come on, Smell, everyone smoked during games back then.

Also, how cool is Eichel with the mouthguard hanging out? Go back 45 years and that's Perreault with a Winston.

I actually saw that at Leisure Rinks during the 1975 Finals.  The Sabres were doing an optional skate and Gilbert was going out to skate and had a butt dangling from his lip.  He took a half lap tossed the butt next to the bench and grabbed a puck and took a shot on net.  It was like Slapshot.   I started smoking that afternoon.  :(

I actually saw that at Leisure Rinks during the 1975 Finals.  The Sabres were doing an optional skate and Gilbert was going out to skate and had a butt dangling from his lip.  He took a half lap tossed the butt next to the bench and grabbed a puck and took a shot on net.  It was like Slapshot.   I started smoking that afternoon.  :(

I was only five years off. That's a great story, except for the part about you taking up cigs. Do you still smoke?

Losing the Carrion would have had Balloon Rabbit consequences. 

That was the point of the article.

Its a bad joke about a poster that was getting upset about a point he/she was trying to make, then I can't remember who, just started posting bunnies. It was all part of the melt down during mid-tank. It did seem to have a positive outcome as a thread was started on how the make SS better for new posters.

I probably posted some of those bunnies.  I remember, it's just that picture is a classic and I didn't want to adulterate it.

Is that click bait or something? The story was linked previously in the thread. I really didn't need to visit that page again. I thought it was going to be about balloon rabbits and now I'm angry.

The people in the crowd tell the story. All eyes on Eichel. No one's running up the aisle. No one's looking at their phone or at the video board. Several people are clapping already. Several have the dreaded blowers cramp, mouths agape.

A few corrections: the bald guy with glasses thinks he sees Mary Alice Demler in the 200 level across the way. He has recorded all 4,374 of her broadcasts. He has a Mary Alice Demler balloon. And two of the kids, their brains not fully developed yet, are looking back at where Eichel came from. They can't fully process what just happened.

Also, how cool is Eichel with the mouthguard hanging out? Go back 45 years and that's Perreault with a Winston.

I hope we return to captioning the photos in the GDT for fun, I loved that bit from the Tank. I'm not sure it'll work as well this year with people actually wanting to discuss hockey.

What a hilarious image.  And it's amazing to think how far things have come now in terms of rink development.  Having to go all the way to Leisure for optional skates?  Not a chance.

I was only five years off. That's a great story, except for the part about you taking up cigs. Do you still smoke?

*cough*  Not regularly.  

What a hilarious image.  And it's amazing to think how far things have come now in terms of rink development.  Having to go all the way to Leisure for optional skates?  Not a chance.

I think it had to do with the fact that it was an off day between games and the Aud had something scheduled.  Leisure Rinks was their home away from home for similar situations.   

First thing I thought of when I noticed the mouthpiece was, c'mon kid, put that back in before you end up concussed.   :(

440oolong.jpg

This picture is classic.  I used to run a group of web developers and when they were waiting for content from the marketing group and thing began taking awhile they would use this picture as a placeholder for all graphics.  So I just had a good chuckle.

First thing I thought of when I noticed the mouthpiece was, c'mon kid, put that back in before you end up concussed.   :(

USA Hockey will be happy to tell you that mouthguards are not proven to reduce concussion.  They are there as protection for the teeth, not the brain.  Drilled into me during USA Hockey Coaches Training.

By the way, Roger Crozier used to leave a lit cigarette on the crossbar and quickly take a drag from it when play was in the other end. That is the origin of Rick's "smoked it off the pipe" call. It's true. If I'm lying, I'm dying.

We're all dying.

*cough*  Not regularly.  

I think it had to do with the fact that it was an off day between games and the Aud had something scheduled.  Leisure Rinks was their home away from home for similar situations.   

Is there any chance a lot of the guys live out that way back then?  There had to have been closer options, even in a time when there were far less rinks.  Today's players have that ridiculously long trek of a block or two (uphill both ways) to get to the practice rink.  I have no idea how they do it. :D

By the way, Roger Crozier used to leave a lit cigarette on the crossbar and quickly take a drag from it when play was in the other end. That is the origin of Rick's "smoked it off the pipe" call. It's true. If I'm lying, I'm dying.

Read this, tried to prove or find to be not true (an article maybe that dispels the rumor?). And I was not successful.

I believe it's urban legend.

Girgensons doesn't wear one at all. It drives me nuts.

USA Hockey will be happy to tell you that mouthguards are not proven to reduce concussion.  They are there as protection for the teeth, not the brain.  Drilled into me during USA Hockey Coaches Training.

This can't be true. If you get hit on the chin a mouthguard is going to assist in decelerating and not directly transferring the impact to the brain, much like a crumple zone in a car. Admittedly this type of impact is probably more relevant to a boxer than a hockey player.

Is there any chance a lot of the guys live out that way back then?  There had to have been closer options, even in a time when there were far less rinks.  Today's players have that ridiculously long trek of a block or two (uphill both ways) to get to the practice rink.  I have no idea how they do it. :D

Some lived in OP but most lived in East Amherst or Clarence.  Not a long trip down 20A/Transit for them.  But I think that was why they moved to sabreland and ultimately the Pepsi center in Amherst.  Now with Hockeypalooza downtown, I think the trip is longer.  

Girgensons doesn't wear one at all. It drives me nuts.

This can't be true. If you get hit on the chin a mouthguard is going to assist in decelerating and not directly transferring the impact to the brain, much like a crumple zone in a car. Admittedly this type of impact is probably more relevant to a boxer than a hockey player.

There's all kinds of debating evidence on it.  I've even found articles on USA Hockey sites that reference there may be SOME benefit.  However, in the coaching certification tests you very clearly do not get the question right unless you choose the option that says "No evidence that mouthguards reduce concussion" or something similar.

Very strange.. I think there's a lot to it.  It might be relevant in that one situation but at the same time I don't think a mouthguard is going to reduce the sudden jerk of the head so much as it will keep the teeth from mashing together and being forced out.  You'd think that the reduced force that saves the teeth would somehow also benefit the brain...

There's all kinds of debating evidence on it.  I've even found articles on USA Hockey sites that reference there may be SOME benefit.  However, in the coaching certification tests you very clearly do not get the question right unless you choose the option that says "No evidence that mouthguards reduce concussion" or something similar.

Very strange.. I think there's a lot to it.  It might be relevant in that one situation but at the same time I don't think a mouthguard is going to reduce the sudden jerk of the head so much as it will keep the teeth from mashing together and being forced out.  You'd think that the reduced force that saves the teeth would somehow also benefit the brain...

A large part of why it does little to prevent a concussion, but a lot to reduce oral trauma, is it essentially only reduces an impact from transferring to the brain if the hit is square on below the chin and directly up. It protects the teeth from an impact from pretty much any direction. What percentage of concussions in hockey come from hits underneath the chin?

I'd expect they help prevent concussions more in youth hockey where the full cage's primary point of contact with the wearer is the chin. But I'd still expect the percentage of potentially concussion-inducing hits that they reduce even there to be in the low single digits at best.

And you are correct that USA Hockey is adamant that most concussions are due to rotational forces that current helmets & mouthguards do extremely little to prevent. Mouthguards prevent lost/broken teeth and helmets prevent lacerations & fractures.

If somebody does come up w/ a multi-impact (it's real easy to come up w/ a lid that protects from a single impact) concussion reducing helmet, they'll soon have more money than Pegula.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.