GDT: Buffalo at Minnesota, Sept. 21, 8pm

Eleven

Yeah not sure why that happened

https://vine.co/v/ePgwZFMYXHF

Eichel goal

Wow, that was beautiful.  Lets get to the regular season already.  So many guys I want to watch.  

To me the biggest thing with that is it sounds like hes coach-able. It sounds insignificant but a lot of players can be told something a million times and never really get it. Hopefully Eichels just a sponge.

+1.  To me it seemed like that from the countless interviews, on subjects to earning his roster spot, his number to the highlights that you see from the development camp.  It's more special when an unprecedented talent wants to work to earn everything instead of being handed everything already.  

Bylsma sounded impressed by Guhle in the post game presser, I wonder if he gets a nine game tryout?

Guhle was a draft surprise but Murray did well.  He will head back to minors though because no need to rush him. he has some things to work on.

To me the biggest thing with that is it sounds like hes coach-able. It sounds insignificant but a lot of players can be told something a million times and never really get it. Hopefully Eichels just a sponge.

he's the anti-kessel

:huh:

Ain't he an assistant librarian at some (community?) college in GA?

Last time I checked, he wasn't in my chain of direct reports, so pretty sure he needs somebody else to bump him up to associate librarian. ;)

Eichel is ####ing special.  Can't wait to see him in real games.

lol

What do you call these things? Vinelights?

https://vine.co/u/1032751615528316928

vinelights works and Jack doesn't even look like he tried there. He is so good.

I wonder if he sees himself in the grinder role long term, or if he thinks he can be more of a skill guy. We've been down that road of trying to force a player into a role he didn't want to accept.

Things change when the team wins.

Its a long season, no reason to let anyone go.

Yep. It's been a long time since our roster runneth over. Will take some getting used to.

Whoa.

Eichel looks really freaking good.

And it looks like Moulson could cash in quite a few goals from the doorstep off of feeds from Eichel.

We could have something here.

We've got chemistry here.

Wow, you guys are really high on Larsson. I see the role y'all are slotting him into, and he's obviously not a top 6 guy, but either I missed stuff over the summer, or you folks are reading a lot into the final few weeks of last season.

I wonder if he sees himself in the grinder role long term, or if he thinks he can be more of a skill guy. We've been down that road of trying to force a player into a role he didn't want to accept.

I liked what I saw out of Larsson before he was our top center, but what I saw then really cemented for me that he an NHL player. Maybe I'm falling into the small sample trap, but it's not like I'm projecting him to be a 50 point player either. As the team's top center, he put up better numbers than Girgensons, and both Moulson and Ennis put up better numbers being centered by Larsson than with Girgensons. I don't think Larsson is better than Zemgus, but it's not nothing that that happened either.

LT, I could see him or Girgensons C on the 3rd line.  ST it's not there.

When the kids get some games under their belts, the top 6 includes O'Reilly, Kane, Ennis, Eichel, & Reinhart with either Girgensons, one of Fasching, Bailey, or Baptiste, or a trade/FA.  Then ideally, somebody has supplanted Zemgus on the top 2 lines and you've got Z and Larsson being the bulk of the 3rd line with Foligno, Deslaurier, or one of the 3 prospects that didn't make top 6 finishing it out.

This team could be very good in a couple of years if Lehner pans out and at least 1 of Pysyk or McCabe pans out.

But right now, to keep from being the Eulers, Larsson could find himself odd man out.  You can't put too much responsibility on a truckload of kids and unfortunately for him, he's still a kid with 2 kids with higher upsides looking to get developed.  I like the idea of putting Reinhart between McGinn and Gionta providing McGinn's back holds out.

I'm not too worried about Larsson bolting for Europe because there is a very logical explanation of how he fits in to the LT picture in Sabreland.  He's here now; if he wanted to be in Europe he'd be there now.  I expect he can see where this team is going and he'd want to be a part of it.  No way he's top 2 C, but he fits in LT either 3C or 2nd line winger.  (Jochen Hecht anyone?)

Great post.  Who would have thought 3 years ago that we would not only have 3 legit, top 9 centres in the organization but really we 5!! (O'Reilly, Eichel, Reinhart, Larsson and Girgs).

I liked what I saw out of Larsson before he was our top center, but what I saw then really cemented for me that he an NHL player. Maybe I'm falling into the small sample trap, but it's not like I'm projecting him to be a 50 point player either. As the team's top center, he put up better numbers than Girgensons, and both Moulson and Ennis put up better numbers being centered by Larsson than with Girgensons. I don't think Larsson is better than Zemgus, but it's not nothing that that happened either.

I am still hoping they position Larsson to be traded before the season starts.  Will his value possibly be any higher than it is now?

I am still hoping they position Larsson to be traded before the season starts.  Will his value possibly be any higher than it is now?

I'd trade him to Florida for a package involving 1 of their NCAA lefty defenders. I think his value is decent right now and I think in a year he would actually carve out a good spot on the 3rd line.  Foligno - Larsson - Gionta would be okay.  Reinhart becomes the 2nd line center.  Right now though, someone has to go. Something has to give.

I don't see the urgency to unload Larsson.  Legwand is almost certainly gone next year and McGinn is likely also gone.  Also, Gionta will be in the last year of his contract and could fall off the table at any time. 

For that matter, Larsson could easily muscle his way into the rotation this year above Foligno and/or Deslauriers. 

I'd trade him to Florida for a package involving 1 of their NCAA lefty defenders. I think his value is decent right now and I think in a year he would actually carve out a good spot on the 3rd line.  Foligno - Larsson - Gionta would be okay.  Reinhart becomes the 2nd line center.  Right now though, someone has to go. Something has to give.

Yes please, Matheson!  I don't really want to move Larsson, but if he's not making the team between Foligno and Deslauriers or on the third line between McGinn and Gionta, what is the purpose of keeping him.  He's too good to be the additional forward.  He's better than Legwand regardless of his room presence (Legwand).

Edited by TheCerebral1

I don't see the urgency to unload Larsson.  Legwand is almost certainly gone next year and McGinn is likely also gone.  Also, Gionta will be in the last year of his contract and could fall off the table at any time. 

For that matter, Larsson could easily muscle his way into the rotation this year above Foligno and/or Deslauriers. 

I want Larsson on the team. There has to be a spot for him even if it is the 13th forward. 

I don't think there is urgency. Instead, I think it is just more of a possibility.  That said Larsson lead the forwards in ice time on Monday with 17:53 so clearly Bylsma has some confidence in the kid.  He interestingly was between Foligno and Deslauriers so maybe that will be our 3/4th line.  We have so much depth now we don't really have a true 4th line. 

Yes please, Matheson!  I don't really want to move Larsson, but if he's not making the team between Foligno and Deslauriers or on the third line between McGinn and Gionta, what is the purpose of keeping him.  He's too good to be the additional forward.  He's better than Legwand regardless of his room presence (Legwand).

I think Legwand will be the extra forward sitting out.  Larsson IMPO is a better option. 

Larsson lead the forwards in ice time on Monday with 17:53 so clearly Bylsma has some confidence in the kid.

Yup.  Or, GMTM has some bites for him, and the trade partner wants to be sure he has come back to camp in shape / ready to play before doing it?  Just a possibility, like you said.

Edited by Cereal

Game write up

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=780053&cmpid=sm-tw-news

"So, the performance must’ve served as quite the confidence booster for Eichel, right?

“It should be a pretty big confidence booster for our whole team,” he said. “They’ve got a pretty good lineup tonight and a great goaltender, a lot of good players on that team so for us to come in here and get a win like that for the first of the year, it’s a good start.”"

Whoa.

Eichel looks really freaking good.

And it looks like Moulson could cash in quite a few goals from the doorstep off of feeds from Eichel.

We could have something here.

Christ I would hope so.  I didn't enjoy cheering for my team to be embarrassed for two straight years.  He had better be the real deal, but it is very comforting seeing him live up to expectations so so early in his career.  As someone mentioned, last year I was watching Reinhart hoping he would make a good, smart play.  Jack shows it almost everytime he hits the ice.  Also, that's not suppose to be a shot at Sam, I know he will be fine.

Christ I would hope so.  I didn't enjoy cheering for my team to be embarrassed for two straight years.  He had better be the real deal, but it is very comforting seeing him live up to expectations so so early in his career.  As someone mentioned, last year I was watching Reinhart hoping he would make a good, smart play.  Jack shows it almost everytime he hits the ice.  Also, that's not suppose to be a shot at Sam, I know he will be fine.

No, sir, I don't believe that you do. You obviously need some more Liger in your life.

I want Larsson on the team. There has to be a spot for him even if it is the 13th forward.

If he is going anywhere it had better be a part of a package for a true top line RW or D. Quantity for quality.

I'd be surprised if he's moved because LT he can fit in solidly on the 3rd line and then plug a hole on 1 of the top 2 lines. He very well could grow into this team's Hecht.

Johan is the new Jochen?

As mentioned above, he could definitely grow into that role. So perhaps your boy moving to Minny LT works out as Pomms would definitely be on the downside when these kids are ready to do damage.

Larsson could find himself odd man out.  You can't put too much responsibility on a truckload of kids and unfortunately for him, he's still a kid with 2 kids with higher upsides looking to get developed.

Interesting fact: Girgensons is on Eichel's line as a veteran presence to protect him. Larsson isn't viewed as capable of that role. Larsson is two and a half years older than Girgensons.

When it's all said and done, I wouldn't be surprised if Larsson is the better player, but we've fallen in love with the Concept of Zemgus. When we were suffering through the tank, Zemgus was the one indication of a brighter future.

If he is going anywhere it had better be a part of a package for a true top line RW or D. Quantity for quality.

I'd be surprised if he's moved because LT he can fit in solidly on the 3rd line and then plug a hole on 1 of the top 2 lines. He very well could grow into this team's Hecht.

As mentioned above, he could definitely grow into that role. So perhaps your boy moving to Minny LT works out as Pomms would definitely be on the downside when these kids are ready to do damage.

LT, if Larsssssson rosters in the top 9 and Nikita in the top 4 it was a dynamite trade. No way we finish DFL 2 years in a row if we were still captained by the Greatest One.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.