UPDATED: Sabres sign 2 yr Deal w/Cody Franson

Brawndo

Are you kidding? Or do you really think Butler is a smooth skating good first pass type of guy who can also go end to end?

Ā 

I have never ever seen Pysyk go end to end.

Ā 

Yes -- I think we're in danger of creating a "concept of Pysyk" situation here.

Ā 

As for Butler, he is the same size as Pysyk, plays a similarly non-physical game, is also a good skater (although probably not as quick-footed as Pysyk) and was also reputed to have a generally good, smart all-around game without excelling in any one aspect.Ā  He's now fairly categorized as somewhere between "journeyman" and "AHLer."

Ā 

I'll say it again:Ā  Pysyk needs to have a very, very high hockey IQ because his physical talents aren't particularly strong.Ā  Will this prove out?Ā  Let's hope so.

Yes indeedly.

Ā 

For the record: I continue to be not sold on Pysyk and would not be shocked if Colaiacovo or McCabe jumps over him at some point during the season. (But that could also happen to Weber or Franson.)

Ā 

Pysyk will be a surprise for those who still doubt. Ā He will prove out to be one of the best D on the Sabres. Ā He's going to be 3/4. He's not the guy who bangs bodies and he won't light it up offensively. Ā He will, however, make the right first pass out of the zone and it will happen fast. He does take the puck of a stick fairly well to boot. His positioning and ability to make the right first pass are his biggest assets and they will serve him well.

Ā 

Oh.. and I like signing Franson.Ā 

I think the key this coming season for our D-corps, the main question that has not been answered yet, is which RHD will be moving over to the left side. On the right as of now we have: Bogosian, Ristolainen, Pysyk, and Franson. On the left, really just Gorges and Weber (That's assuming guys like McCabe, Donovan and Colaiacovo are in Rochester. Even if one isn't, it is most likely not one of those 4 Right handed D that they would be replacing).Ā 

Ā 

It's hard to see Bogosian or Franson transitioning to the left. As Ristolainen is hopefully our stud first pairing right-d of the future, I'd rather not mess around with him playing on the left. To my mind, that leaves Pysyk transitioning to the left.

Ā 

I wonder if that is the plan.

It's a solid move, though its not one I'm drooling over.

Ā 

You can never have too many NHL defensemen, and the Sabres finally have depth.

Franson won't be hard to spin come the spring.

Ā 

Yep. Would have preferred Ehrhoff but this is a reasonable consolation prize.

Ā 

Allows Pysyk to start as a 3rd pairing guy and Gorges to drop to one if he wears down over the season. (Hopefully having an X&O HC minimizes the weardown created by getting beatdown all season under the prior defensive 'scheme.'

I think the key this coming season for our D-corps, the main question that has not been answered yet, is which RHD will be moving over to the left side. On the right as of now we have: Bogosian, Ristolainen, Pysyk, and Franson. On the left, really just Gorges and Weber (That's assuming guys like McCabe, Donovan and Colaiacovo are in Rochester. Even if one isn't, it is most likely not one of those 4 Right handed D that they would be replacing).Ā 

Ā 

It's hard to see Bogosian or Franson transitioning to the left. As Ristolainen is hopefully our stud first pairing right-d of the future, I'd rather not mess around with him playing on the left. To my mind, that leaves Pysyk transitioning to the left.

Ā 

I wonder if that is the plan.

I would think it would be Pysyk moving over to the left.Ā  I remember him saying something about playing the left side for part of the year in Roch last season.

Psysk is expected to play on the left. Hopefully he gets paired with the veteran Bogosian and Ristolainen gets paired with Gorges. If that happens I'm not sure which one of those pairs would be considered top pairing but they'd seem faily even

Ā 

Psysk Bogosian

Gorges Ristolainen

Weber Franson

Colaiacovo

Ā 

That's my guess for how it shakes out at even strength.

Yes -- I think we're in danger of creating a "concept of Pysyk" situation here.

Ā 

As for Butler, he is the same size as Pysyk, plays a similarly non-physical game, is also a good skater (although probably not as quick-footed as Pysyk) and was also reputed to have a generally good, smart all-around game without excelling in any one aspect.Ā  He's now fairly categorized as somewhere between "journeyman" and "AHLer."

Ā 

I'll say it again:Ā  Pysyk needs to have a very, very high hockey IQ because his physical talents aren't particularly strong.Ā  Will this prove out?Ā  Let's hope so.

Ā 

Ā 

Pysyk's hockey iq imo is miles above Butler. And I think Butler is far more physical than Pysyk.

Ā 

Meh, enough. Drop the puck.

Murray said Franson will likely be on the first PP unit and play in the top four.

Ā 

Interesting.

Ā 

IMHO, that means Pysyk-Weber will be the 3rd pairing, which makes the most sense to me.Ā  Even if Pysyk is as good as many here think, it seems logical to at least start him out with reduced/sheltered minutes.

Ā 

So:

Ā 

Gorges-Risto

Bogo-Franson

Pysyk-Weber

Ā 

It ain't the Robinson-Savard-LaPointe Habs, but it's well improved over last year -- and if Gorges recovers from surgery well, and if Risto continues to develop, and if Pysyk can handle a full-time NHL role, and if they stay healthy -- it could be an acceptable NHL defense corps.Ā  Odds are, of course, that some of those ifs won't pan out.

On paper, I think this is a good solid signing. It's a two year deal that only cost the Sabres money. No prospects were sacrificed to help the team. By definition, this is good.

Ā 

I think Franson adds to the power play for sure. He also adds veteran depth on a back line that is relatively thin. Overall, I like it.Ā 

Yep. Would have preferred Ehrhoff but this is a reasonable consolation prize.

Ā 

Allows Pysyk to start as a 3rd pairing guy and Gorges to drop to one if he wears down over the season. (Hopefully having an X&O HC minimizes the weardown created by getting beatdown all season under the prior defensive 'scheme.'

Ā 

I don't think the Franson signing impacts Pysyk's placement, as others have said I think it is expected that Pysyk is going to be playing on the left.

Ā 

Psysk is expected to play on the left. Hopefully he gets paired with the veteran Bogosian and Ristolainen gets paired with Gorges. If that happens I'm not sure which one of those pairs would be considered top pairing but they'd seem faily even

Ā 

Psysk Bogosian

Gorges Ristolainen

Weber Franson

Colaiacovo

Ā 

That's my guess for how it shakes out at even strength.

Ā 

This is what I am thinking as well. Seems to make the most sense and it looks like a pretty decent set-up.

Ā 

Interesting.

Ā 

IMHO, that means Pysyk-Weber will be the 3rd pairing, which makes the most sense to me.Ā  Even if Pysyk is as good as many here think, it seems logical to at least start him out with reduced/sheltered minutes.

Ā 

So:

Ā 

Gorges-Risto

Bogo-Franson

Pysyk-Weber

Ā 

It ain't the Robinson-Savard-LaPointe Habs, but it's well improved over last year -- and if Gorges recovers from surgery well, and if Risto continues to develop, and if Pysyk can handle a full-time NHL role, and if they stay healthy -- it could be an acceptable NHL defense corps.Ā  Odds are, of course, that some of those ifs won't pan out.

Ā 

I don't think Bogosian will be playing on the left. Nor will Weber be on the right. I actually can't see Franson playing on the second pair, as Ā Bogosian and Ristolainen will be on the top 2 pairs on the right side, and Franson won't be playing on the left. So I am not sure what Murray means when he says he sees Franson as top 4. Maybe he means in ability, but not role.

Ā 

So bumping Franson to the 3rd pairing on the right side, that by necessity bumps Pysyk up to at least second pair, on the left, as you would probably have him above Weber. He may even play first pair above Gorges.

Edited by Thorny

I don't think the Franson signing impacts Pysyk's placement, as others have said I think it is expected that Pysyk is going to be playing on the left.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

This is what I am thinking as well. Seems to make the most sense and it looks like a pretty decent set-up.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I don't think Bogosian will be playing on the left. Nor will Weber be on the right. I actually can't see Franson playing on the second pair, as Ā Bogosian and Ristolainen will be on the top 2 pairs on the right side, and Franson won't be playing on the left. So I am not sure what Murray means when he says he sees Franson as top 4. Maybe he means in ability, but not role.

Ā 

So bumping Franson to the 3rd pairing on the right side, that by necessity bumps Pysyk up to at least second pair, on the left, as you would probably have him above Weber. He may even play first pair above Gorges.

If/when Pysyk gets to the top 4, he'll be on the left side. I'd expect that until he's ready / DB is comfortable w/ Pysyk in the top 4, that Bogo slides to the left, most likely w/ Franson but possibly w/ Risto. If he's healthy, Gorges definitely starts thevyear in the top 4.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I don't think handedness is going to drive the membership in the top 4.

Ā 

If Murray says Franson is top-4, I think that means he plays top-4 minutes and is on one of the top 2 pairs.Ā  That puts Pysyk on the 3rd pair, which, as I mentioned above, seems eminently logical given Pysyk's lack of experience.

So you want summa dis?

Ā 

It's an interesting idea. However, I don't want to take a bet that will cause me to root against a Sabre.

Ā 

I will say that he reminds me quite a bit of Chris Butler, whom Webster was also quite high on -- and who did not justify Webster's love.

Ā 

Take that, Pysyk fanboys.

You are right, I was high in Butler but I don't recall ever seeing him as a top pairing guy. I think depending on the other d-men, Pysyk is a solid 2/3 guy with a long career ahead of him.

By the way, you could throw in a few examples of me correctly showing love for certain prospects.

You are right, I was high in Butler but I don't recall ever seeing him as a top pairing guy. I think depending on the other d-men, Pysyk is a solid 2/3 guy with a long career ahead of him.

By the way, you could throw in a few examples of me correctly showing love for certain prospects.

Ā 

Chris Butler has had a respectable career already. Considering he was a 4th rounder, he's been a decent depth option and a fairly complete player. The guy was never an embarrassment out there, except for the sandpaper, he's a fairly complete option for a hole in any roster.Ā 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.