Patrick Kane: [Updated] D.A. Decides Not to Prosecute; NHL Determines Claims "Unfounded"

That Aud Smell

Scott Levin at WGRZ (who clearly has a well placed source - Eoannou?) tweeting that accuser's attorneys may hold press conference tomorrow to address leaks regarding the forensic results.

Speaking of the leaks, the timing was quite curious, so close to Kane's presser, wasn't it? I guess, like we talked about when the story of Kane's cop cabbie came out, it's good to have friends in law enforcement.

Scott Levin at WGRZ (who clearly has a well placed source - Eoannou?) tweeting that accuser's attorneys may hold press conference tomorrow to address leaks regarding the forensic results.

It's confirmed to actually be happening. 1pm IIRC. I guess they feel obligated to present counter-points to the leaks and the Kane presser? On the one hand I can see why they'd want to do that, on the other hand I'm not sure how compounding leaks with more leaks will be beneficial to the overall process.

It's confirmed to actually be happening. 1pm IIRC. I guess they feel obligated to present counter-points to the leaks and the Kane presser? On the one hand I can see why they'd want to do that, on the other hand I'm not sure how compounding leaks with more leaks will be beneficial to the overall process.

I really don't think if it's coming straight from the lawyer that it is considered a leak

I'd consider any piecemeal release of information outside the official legal process to be a leak, regardless of source.

I guess if you want to use your own definitions of words, then you would be right. 

a disclosure of secret, especially official, information, as to the news media, by an unnamed source.

I guess if you want to use your own definitions of words, then you would be right. 

a disclosure of secret, especially official, information, as to the news media, by an unnamed source.

What's really relevant is not a dictionary definition of "leak," but Rule 3.6 here:  http://www.nycourts.gov/rules/jointappellate/ny-rules-prof-conduct-1200.pdf

You guys can sort out whether it was / will be violated.  I think subsection (d) allows her lawyer to address the DNA stuff.

Sure, the dictionary says a leak comes from an anonymous source. If the lawyer(s) disclose more information regarding the investigation today, well that information is supposed to be kept confidential to the investigation, so it's a leak in substance if not name.

What's really relevant is not a dictionary definition of "leak," but Rule 3.6 here:  http://www.nycourts.gov/rules/jointappellate/ny-rules-prof-conduct-1200.pdf

You guys can sort out whether it was / will be violated.  I think subsection (d) allows her lawyer to address the DNA stuff.

I think you're right. My question would be how much information can the lawyer divulge before it turns from protecting against prejudicial effects of the recent publicity into an active attempt to prejudice in the opposite direction. 

Good stuff. I can't say I've ever had a matter that implicated that Rule.

I'm also fairly confident that the high-profile defense attorneys of the NY bar tend to operate on the edges of  Rule 3.6.

Good stuff. I can't say I've ever had a matter that implicated that Rule.

I'm also fairly confident that the high-profile defense attorneys of the NY bar tend to operate on the edges of  Rule 3.6.

Oh, hell yes.

TrueBlue does that answer your question?

I really don't think if it's coming straight from the lawyer that it is considered a leak

So how much involvement would the accuser's lawyer have in the matter of a criminal investigation?  Why would her lawyer even be involved?  Shouldn't it be the DA's office that would address this?

Is there a civil suit that I am not yet aware of?

So how much involvement would the accuser's lawyer have in the matter of a criminal investigation?  Why would her lawyer even be involved?  Shouldn't it be the DA's office that would address this?

Is there a civil suit that I am not yet aware of?

Victims and alleged victims of crimes are welcome to retain their own counsel if they want to.

So the accusers attorney just said that the mother of the accuser found the evidence bag with the rape kit at her front door, ripped open and resealed. The attorney is saying there is enough evidence to make a case for tampering.

Despicable.

Although, now the leak earlier this week about DNA locations makes a little more sense.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.