Patrick Kane: [Updated] D.A. Decides Not to Prosecute; NHL Determines Claims "Unfounded"

That Aud Smell

Didn't the accuser in the Owen Labrie case take the stand?

She did. Willingly, we can only infer, since her cross exam involved no mention of a subpoena.

Certainly the prosecutor's almost motherly care for her in the courtroom (as widely reported from the live tweeting) suggested that the two had a good relationship.

Didn't the accuser in the Owen Labrie case take the stand?

Nobody has any facts one way or the other. The same could be said about Kane being a rapist as equally disgusting.

Yeah right, that was a 'comedian laughing at his own joke' moment............. just ruined the whole thing. :doh:

I agree 100%. If there is irrefutable evidence that the rape never happened and she is doing this for money, she should face harsh penalties. No matter what happens, she will always be the 'victim'. Even if this was all made up Kane's reputation will forever be tarnished. As was mentioned above he will lose endorsements, he will be frowned up by his peers, the public scrutiny.............. There is no evidence either way (that we presently know of) to support either side so what if he is the victim?

Maybe I don't understand the process well enough. There is always the possibility of her pressing charges in a civil case. But how can there be a settlement in this particular case? Shouldn't charges be pressed by the county? If so, why does she have the power to change that if the check is big enough? If Kane legitimately did something wrong the county should be pressing charges. I don't see how the grand jury hearings can be postponed while they discuss numbers. If you commit a heinous crime the county should be moving forward regardless of what happens between the two parties. If I'm the county legal system, I'll be damned if you're going to waste probably hundreds of thousands of tax payer dollars for us to investigate an accusation you made only to collect a big check and tell us 'nevermind'. I'm not entirely familiar with the process, I just figured a serious charge would be pressed by the county simply because of the severity of the accusation.

Could Kane go after her with a defamation charge then?

Could Kane go after her with a defamation charge then?

Based on what published statements?

What she said to the cops in her complaint, or what she may say to a grand jury would, I hafta think (can't research now), be immunized from a claim of slander. That must be the case. Same for the rape kit exam.

Outside of that, what has she said publicly? Was it claimed she called a friend and said she'd been raped?

Anyway, NFW Kane brings a defamation case.

Another sorry episode in the college due process saga, at another allegedly good university (U of Michigan):

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2015/09/drew_sterrett_and_university_of_michigan_the_school_vacates_its_findings.single.html

The sexual encounter in question took place in March 2012, in the spring semester of Sterrett’s freshman year. Legal documents described how the female student, CB, who was a friend of Sterrett’s, asked to stay in his room because her roommate was having guests. He expected her to sleep on a mat on the floor and was surprised when she got into his bunk bed. Soon the two were kissing, then more; CB asked Sterrett about a condom, and he got one. Their encounter went on for so long, and was so loud, that Sterrett’s roommate, who was trying to sleep in the top bunk, sent Sterrett an annoyed Facebook message about being kept awake. The roommate later gave a sworn statement that he was close enough to the pair that he would have heard, and intervened, if CB had said no or objected.

The semester ended, and Sterrett and CB left school. The events that prompted the university investigation of Sterrett are described in an affidavit sworn on his behalf by LC, a friend of CB and her sophomore-year roommate. While CB was home for the summer, her mother discovered her diary, in which the young woman described her drinking, drug-taking, and sexual encounters. (In her own deposition, CB confirmed the contents of the diary.) After confronting her daughter with her discovery, CB’s mother drove her to campus, where CB made her accusation. She never reported it to the police.

During the summer, campus officials informed Sterrett via Skype that a student had made an allegation against him. When the tone of the interview turned hostile, he asked if he should retain a lawyer. He was told if he ended the interview this would be reported to the university and the investigation would go on without him. He continued to talk.

Sterrett was never provided with the charges against him in writing. The Skype interview turned out to be his sole encounter with the campus officials investigating and deciding his case. He never had a chance to question his accuser. He was not told the names of the witnesses the university interviewed in its inquiry. In November of his sophomore year he received a “Sexual Misconduct Investigation Report,” which concluded he was responsible for the accusation against him.

Personal attacks because I disagree with you? Charming.

i was inspired by your avatar... it got me put in the hole for saying a simalar things by the kraft family that must own a portion of this board... i wish tbd was sane like sabrespace but football has fans in high places taking seriously by idiots...  im also glad its harder to throw or manipulate a game  hockey ... football hasa become all stolen signals and hijacked radio frequencies, pass interference tds gifts and phantom holding and the golden douche tuck award... the fans that inhabit the hockey board seem sane , well rounded and have grasps of math , theology and physics to metaphysics... so why do i get sooo peeved when i get booted off the board and cant organize a posse to catch, rope and hang them three patriot classless thieves destroying the concept of sport.. i could do the whole george carlin baseball, football schtick for buffalo sports message boards.. anyway, thank you for vindicating my cause w yr avatar..

At least, that is what I heard.

My point: The term "absolved" is a sort of a negative (I think?). Paired with another negative (done nothing wrong), it indicates a positive.

He really appreciates those questions.

Edited by That Aud Smell

"Will you stop drinking?"  wow that's a little direct.

Good question. Fair question. Kane's reaction indicated that it was a shot landed.

p.s. You are absolved of wrongdoing. You are found to have done nothing wrong.

I probably would have had him read his prepared statement and then walk out. No reason for him to really talk about anything.

He couldn't even get that right.

And suddenly Chicago's PR staff makes the Bills look like geniuses.

This is horrible, this idea.

Go ahead, Liger.

"I will be absolved of having done nothing wrong."

Wow.  Should have stayed at Timon for the extra two years, I guess.

"Will you stop drinking?"  wow that's a little direct.

What was the answer?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.