Patrick Kane: [Updated] D.A. Decides Not to Prosecute; NHL Determines Claims "Unfounded"

That Aud Smell

That and they probably have a limited window where they can update the cover of the game before it goes on sale.

This is  it.

The cover athlete has been featured in commercials speaking and at promotional events. I assume that's what they mean. The cover is now just Toews hoisting the cup.

I think that's what they mean, too.  I think they're using a word incorrectly.

That and they probably have a limited window where they can update the cover of the game before it goes on sale.

Absolutely valid. But I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out they have several (dozen? hundreds? of) pallets of the artwork already in place if not already boxing up the disks. The season starts in ~6 weeks; aren't new games usually out prior to that? This move will cost them, but not making it would almost definitely cost them more.

Absolutely valid. But I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out they have several (dozen? hundreds? of) pallets of the artwork already in place if not already boxing up the disks. The season starts in ~6 weeks; aren't new games usually out prior to that? This move will cost them, but not making it would almost definitely cost them more.

September 15th is the release date.  I'm sure it's not a major fix if they don't mind absorbing a little hit from the cost, but that's a big if when it comes to any business.

I must say, given the information we have, that's quite surprising. One could also argue premature.

While I personally agree with you, if the tenor of this thread is any indication, it would seem too many people will disagree.

The release is September 15th but I would bet they will want most packages produced well before then to be ready. If not they're setting themselves up for disaster, so I think Shrader is probably spot on.

I don't think they're boxing up discs yet because they said about week ago that they're still tweaking the game.

With new "day of release" deliveries the games are being shipped out much sooner than the 15th.

EA announces Kane is being removed from the cover and will no longer be a spokesperson.

And that answers one of the questions I had.  Smart move.

I must say, given the information we have, that's quite surprising. One could also argue premature.

I think, regardless of whether he is actually charged, there is more here for EA to base their decision on.

If am sitting at EA I am looking at my eagerly anticipated new game that atones for the sins of it's predecessor (I played the NHL16 EASHL beta.. it's nice).  I have chosen the slogan "Play together. Win Together."  I have locked up arguably one of the best franchise pairs for the cover.  They have won 3 cups together, they embody my entire marketing campaign.

I get this news.  Patrick Kane investigated for rape. It involves a female that is not his girlfriend.

Initial thought: Somehow, having Kane on the front cover with the slogan "Play together. Win together." will certainly set off the wrong kind of internet memes.

Next thought, I am about to put this guy out as a face of my game.  Regardless of guilt, he clearly has no regard for his girlfriend and will clearly have a womanizer tag attributed to him.. at best.  At worst, he's charged and he's guilty.

Next thought: Can I get the artwork changed in time and get him out of the game?

His status as a young adult with a tendency to party but otherwise seemingly upstanding just went through the floor. He might recover in time (depending on the severity of the event) but he's toxic right now.

I wouldn't be surprised if EA postponed the physical media release if they were unable to recall and change all packaging in time.  Any disc that was printed with that logo on the front has to be changed.  All inserts, all manuals, not to mention changing the software graphics.

They can fix the digital aspects quickly and release downloadable versions of the game but it would take longer to fix the physical materials.

Today's Buffalo News attempted to atone for the sin of the article in Sunday's News by implying that Croce's remarks were inappropriate.  What about the decision to publish those remarks?

Is there anything to be said for the media giving a prominent businessman some rope and letting him hang himself? Who looks worse, the News or Croce?

How messed up does this have to be for good guy Toews? Everyone KNOWS Patty Kane is supposed to be on this cover. 

Yeah... as a designer, I would've found a different solution- a closer cut of Toews to take up all that reallllly awkward empty space. 

I have read every single post you have made in this thread and while I may not agree completely with your point of view I do understand where you are coming from.

I see nothing wrong in the way you have expressed your points.  My apologies for not saying so sooner.

No need to apologize. I appreciate you mentioning it.

Latest from the Buffalo News:

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/hamburg/alleged-victim-reportedly-went-to-kanes-home-to-accompany-friend-20150812

As I pointed out at one point: it is possible (and not allegedly true) that she went there to accompany her friend who was invited/wanted to go. That's a somewhat big development. She may have gone there in order to make sure her friend wasn't alone.

This could also be a source close to the woman who wants to sway the public opinion after Croce's comments were published.

September 15th is the release date.  I'm sure it's not a major fix if they don't mind absorbing a little hit from the cost, but that's a big if when it comes to any business.

They can increase the game cost by a buck and cover the cost.

When reports initially got about Kane one of the early thoughts I had was of EA removing him from the cover. From what I can recall they did this a few ago w/ Madden. Can't remember which cover had to be changed due to a player doing something bad. 

I'm not too familiar w/ how things work in rape cases, but according to Kobe Bryant he himself could have received 25 years or more if things had to gone to court in Colorado. Bryant pointed out he did not have one thought about his NBA career when all of that was going down. The guy was fearing jail time. Quite sure Kane is thinking the same thing. There's just that you never know factor. If Kane did do what he has been accused of he deserves whatever is thrown at him. And I'm be in complete support of that. Now, if he is truly innocent he unfortunately will probably still have all of this associated w/ his name. Not sure what endorsements he has, but he has already lost at least one. It'll take time for Kane regain credibility. Again, that's if he is innocent. Take a look at Tiger Woods. Business dropped him quick after the craziness he brought upon himself. 

Latest from the Buffalo News:

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/hamburg/alleged-victim-reportedly-went-to-kanes-home-to-accompany-friend-20150812

As I pointed out at one point: it is possible (and not allegedly true) that she went there to accompany her friend who was invited/wanted to go. That's a somewhat big development. She may have gone there in order to make sure her friend wasn't alone.

This could also be a source close to the woman who wants to sway the public opinion after Croce's comments were published.

The idea that she accompanied her friend would be a big one.  The rest of the article seems like a waste of time to me.  And this isn't an issue just with the Buffalo News, but with most media out there.  All of these "she's a good person who would never do this" quotes from family or friends are so worthless to me.  You see that with just about every single news story out there, whether it is a rape case or someone joining Isis.  That one may be right up there at the top of news reporting cliches.

The idea that she accompanied her friend would be a big one.  The rest of the article seems like a waste of time to me.  And this isn't an issue just with the Buffalo News, but with most media out there.  All of these "she's a good person who would never do this" quotes from family or friends are so worthless to me.  You see that with just about every single news story out there, whether it is a rape case or someone joining Isis.  That one may be right up there at the top of news reporting cliches.

I agree.  I don't want to blame her or sound harsh but it is like when someone dies unexpectedly, all their family and friends say they were the greatest person.  It isn't an objective observation.  She could be a good person or she could not. 

I wish some more facts would emerge but at the same time this entire case is just tragic.

The idea that she accompanied her friend would be a big one. The rest of the article seems like a waste of time to me. And this isn't an issue just with the Buffalo News, but with most media out there. All of these "she's a good person who would never do this" quotes from family or friends are so worthless to me. You see that with just about every single news story out there, whether it is a rape case or someone joining Isis. That one may be right up there at the top of news reporting cliches.

I think they were just trying to make right on their Croce error.

Thanes - I think the cover you're thinking of is when EA removed Joe Thornton after his assault charges. Ironically they replaced him with Dany Heatley who was replaced by Joe Sakic following the crash that killed Dan Snyder.

Edited by Hoss

Good to see the local paper respond to what I'm told was a veritable tsunami of blowback on the Croce piece.

The information to the effect that she was there at the instance of her friend is, as others have noted, significant. Quite significant, possibly.

Also, the character testimony in the article is largely from co-workers, and far from worthless.

While I personally agree with you, if the tenor of this thread is any indication, it would seem too many people will disagree.

That's odd, I see the tenor of this thread as pretty even. There's a couple people that seem to have made up their mind that he did it, a couple that are hung up on the idea that there's some fault on the woman (prior to the recent posts that the woman may have been the +1 and not the other way around), and most just discussing the particulars in a pretty dispassionate way. Unless you feel like the people that are arguing vehemently (I'm looking in the mirror) that it's not the victims fault as saying that PKane is guilty. I know that I'm not assigning any guilt to PKane as I don't know any facts. The only thing I'm arguing is that there's nothing this woman could have done beforehand that mitigates what allegedly happened. Wait, is it because we stopped using "allegedly" all the time? I thought that it went without saying that without facts, I'm not assigning guilt to anyone.

Why's that? If she went back to hook up and then changed her mind, too bad? (I thinking you didn't mean it that way, but it could be easily be read that way)

That's odd, I see the tenor of this thread as pretty even. There's a couple people that seem to have made up their mind that he did it, a couple that are hung up on the idea that there's some fault on the woman (prior to the recent posts that the woman may have been the +1 and not the other way around), and most just discussing the particulars in a pretty dispassionate way. Unless you feel like the people that are arguing vehemently (I'm looking in the mirror) that it's not the victims fault as saying that PKane is guilty. I know that I'm not assigning any guilt to PKane as I don't know any facts. The only thing I'm arguing is that there's nothing this woman could have done beforehand that mitigates what allegedly happened. Wait, is it because we stopped using "allegedly" all the time? I thought that it went without saying that without facts, I'm not assigning guilt to anyone.

Why's that? If she went back to hook up and then changed her mind, too bad? (I thinking you didn't mean it that way, but it could be easily be read that way)

The idea being that it would have been her friend who most likely was making any hypothetical sexual advances at Kane, rather than the victim who was simply playing wingwoman and hypothetically not expressing interest in any kind of intimate experience with Kane. Which would have given Kane no reason to assume sexual conduct of any kind was anticipated or consented to. It could potentially be the base of the entire case. 

They can increase the game cost by a buck and cover the cost.

Hard to justify the $60.99 price point when most games are $59.99 or less.

The idea being that it would have been her friend who most likely was making any hypothetical sexual advances at Kane, rather than the victim who was simply playing wingwoman and hypothetically not expressing interest in any kind of intimate experience with Kane. Which would have given Kane no reason to assume sexual conduct of any kind was anticipated or consented to. It could potentially be the base of the entire case. 

I understand the idea of her accompanying her friend. But let's take thought processes a few steps further.

Was her friend hitting on Kane and was she implying that she wanted to have sex with him?

• If so, let's assume that sex actually occurs.  Is she just hanging around in Patrick Kane's house while they have sex?  Seems a bit odd to me. Not only that, what is she protecting?  In theory, this would have been the anticipated consensual sexual encounter.

• If not, then we have implied previously that if it was her that was invited she had no reason to expect Patrick Kane would rape her, then why would she have to accompany her friend? Was fer friend at more risk than herself for being raped by Patrick Kane?  If that was a thought, why would you even go to his house?

So, let's not discuss this with trying to assign any of this to this particular situation and the potential victim here.  Let's discuss this as a hypothetical, two girls are in a bar with a sports superstar way.

Hard to justify the $60.99 price point when most games are $59.99 or less.

I understand the idea of her accompanying her friend. But let's take thought processes a few steps further.

Was her friend hitting on Kane and was she implying that she wanted to have sex with him?

• If so, let's assume that sex actually occurs.  Is she just hanging around in Patrick Kane's house while they have sex?  Seems a bit odd to me. Not only that, what is she protecting?  In theory, this would have been the anticipated consensual sexual encounter.

• If not, then we have implied previously that if it was her that was invited she had no reason to expect Patrick Kane would rape her, then why would she have to accompany her friend? Was fer friend at more risk than herself for being raped by Patrick Kane?  If that was a thought, why would you even go to his house?

So, let's not discuss this with trying to assign any of this to this particular situation and the potential victim here.  Let's discuss this as a hypothetical, two girls are in a bar with a sports superstar way.

I can see several scenarios, including:

- "I want to make sure she gets home OK, never leave a girl behind."

- PKane was driving home and she didn't want her in the car with him after he'd been drinking

- She wanted to see his house

Edited by MattPie

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.