Windows 10

JJFIVEOH

I did it and my Microsoft office is gone. :(

That sucks. I was expecting that but mine was intact. I was surprised actually. Office 10 is what I have. Stupid question, have you tried search?

You'll need product keys for that. 

One thing I'll recommend to anyone before doing the upgrade is to use something like ProduKey to get the product keys for all of your Microsoft programs including your OS if it came pre-loaded without install CD's like many computers do now. You'll want those keys if something goes wrong.

http://download.cnet.com/ProduKey/3000-2094_4-10457063.html

My Office made it through okay.  The computer didn't work, but Office was still there.

Basically what happened was that the computer will reboot.  Sometimes it works normally and everything is wonderful.  Other times it boots up and the hard drive light stays on and everything is pretty much locked up.  Sometimes it will settle out and start to work again, but most of the time I lose patience with it and reboot and hope for a better boot.

Computer shopping this weekend; hope for good Labor Day sales  ;-)

I got an ASUS all-in-one.

I considered getting a portable (basically a large-screen tablet) but in the end I went with something more traditional.... except this one has a touch screen   :)

I bought an ASUS 23" AIO when Windows 8 came out. The touch screen it has is fantastic. and with Win 10 expect it to be even better!

Was Win 10 on the computer or di you have to update it?

I don't know where else to put this, but I'm pretty sure that today, Skynet took another step towards self awareness.

Every single piece of electronics I have either crashed or rebooted on it's own or had to be restarted before I could use it today.

…time to start stockpiling the canned goods.

Microsoft has started automatically upgrading Windows 7 and 8 users even if they did not sign up for the upgrade.

It is being done through this update ... KB3035583.

If you do not want the upgrade you will need to uninstall that update.  It can be done by searching for it on your Windows Updates under Control Panel and by keying in that update # in the search bar.  Then highlighting it and clicking on remove update.

You installed the, supposedly, optional update above if you have that little window thingie asking you to register for your free upgrade.

So, if you do not want Windows 10 you need to uninstall that update ... I just did that.

Microsoft has started automatically upgrading Windows 7 and 8 users even if they did not sign up for the upgrade.

If you do not want the upgrade you will need to uninstall that update.  It can be done by searching for it on your Windows Updates under Control Panel and by keying in that update # in the search bar.  Then highlighting it and clicking on remove update.

You installed the, supposedly, optional update above if you have that little window thingie asking you to register for your free upgrade.

So, if you do not want Windows 10 you need to uninstall that update ... I just did that.

I haven't read deeply, but I'm pretty sure it won't actually upgrade you, but will prep to a certain degree.  It's still pretty slimy, but there's no way MS is going to forcibly upgrade people to 10. The liability for broken installs is not something they're going to take on.

I haven't read deeply, but I'm pretty sure it won't actually upgrade you, but will prep to a certain degree.  It's still pretty slimy, but there's no way MS is going to forcibly upgrade people to 10. The liability for broken installs is not something they're going to take on.

Yep.  Broke my computer.  I ended up buying a new one.

I don't know where else to put this, but I'm pretty sure that today, Skynet took another step towards self awareness.

Every single piece of electronics I have either crashed or rebooted on it's own or had to be restarted before I could use it today.

…time to start stockpiling the canned goods.

Don't forget to stock up on the manual can openers also.

I have read that it has happened.  I forget where ... Western Canada, I think.

If you can find the link, I'd be really interested. In my mind, odds are some hoser got beered up on Molson and forgot he clicked "Upgrade". :)

Maybe I'm that hoser, but not beered up ... maybe my dislike of Microsoft got the better of me.  Slimy though, you're right ...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/windows-10-automatic-download-1.3229063

SFinNS,

Thank you for the information. I removed those updates from my desktop and my girlfriends laptop last night, although I think when I shut down my computer it re-installed it because I have automatic updates set for my default setting. I'll make sure to change this setting so I have to approve any update download and installations before I remove it again and will keep a post it note with the KB3035583 number located near both computers. I can't stand windows 8.1 or 10 from what little I have messed with them because they seem designed for a phone or tablet and not a computer.

I almost feel like Charleton Heston did with guns. They'll get my windows 7 from my cold dead hands.

SFinNS,

Thank you for the information. I removed those updates from my desktop and my girlfriends laptop last night, although I think when I shut down my computer it re-installed it because I have automatic updates set for my default setting. I'll make sure to change this setting so I have to approve any update download and installations before I remove it again and will keep a post it note with the KB3035583 number located near both computers. I can't stand windows 8.1 or 10 from what little I have messed with them because they seem designed for a phone or tablet and not a computer.

I almost feel like Charleton Heston did with guns. They'll get my windows 7 from my cold dead hands.

The same thing happened to me with my work laptop.

You are right you need to change the auto (recommended) download and install setting as you described.

Also, the update will be sitting there in Windows Update with a recommended download and install notice.  You can check the little box beside and then right click your mouse to *hide* that update ... so, it won't be sitting there waiting for you to decide to download it and install it and you will not get pop-up reminders that a recommended update is sitting there.

I agree on Windows 7, as I did with XP ... I will keep it until I don't have that option any longer, which I hope is a very long time.

The same thing happened to me with my work laptop.

You are right you need to change the auto (recommended) download and install setting as you described.

Also, the update will be sitting there in Windows Update with a recommended download and install notice.  You can check the little box beside and then right click your mouse to *hide* that update ... so, it won't be sitting there waiting for you to decide to download it and install it and you will not get pop-up reminders that a recommended update is sitting there.

I agree on Windows 7, as I did with XP ... I will keep it until I don't have that option any longer, which I hope is a very long time.

January 14th, 2020 is the end of normal support for Windows 7. After that, you'd have to pay MS a ton of money to keep the security patches flowing.

January 14th, 2020 is the end of normal support for Windows 7. After that, you'd have to pay MS a ton of money to keep the security patches flowing.

Hopefully by then they'll have a new OS out that's actually designed for computers again. I loved xp and kept it until I got 7 so I was able to avoid vista. Hopefully I'll be abe to avoid 10 and the next one or one after that will be better.

Edited by Drunkard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.