Windows 10

JJFIVEOH

For now I'm sticking with Windows 7 until I have a compelling reason to upgrade (unlikely) or until my next desktop.  I don't care that it's free.  It will be essentially free when I buy a new desktop someday anyways. 

Is there anything ground-breaking that Win10 can do that my Win7 can't?  (really asking). 

For now I'm sticking with Windows 7 until I have a compelling reason to upgrade (unlikely) or until my next desktop.  I don't care that it's free.  It will be essentially free when I buy a new desktop someday anyways. 

Is there anything ground-breaking that Win10 can do that my Win7 can't?  (really asking). 

You may or may not find it useful but, Cortana for one thing.

I installed the update on both of my computers. I saved an image first on my 8.1 comp, I didn't save an image on my 7 comp. After you update you're given the option of going back for the period of one month. After deciding it was best to save an image on my 7 comp, I reverted back using the Windows 10 feature that could do so. Well, that didn't go over well at all. All the programs Windows removes tat aren't compatible are not put back if you revert. Drivers are gone, some software is gone..... I had no control over anything on screen, mice, keyboards..... all dead. Even a standard USB 2.0 keyboard that works on a completely new OS with no drivers wouldn't work. So I did a clean install of 10. Now I just need to thumb through all the drivers I need because I built that comp and the motherboard is 2 years old, so there are no Windows 10 drivers. It still works fine, I'm curious how many drivers Windows installed itself. The webcam on my 8.1 laptop also doesn't work now. There is no specific driver for it, in 8.1 it used a Windows driver.

10 seems to be quicker. I'm not crazy about forced automatic updates. Nor am I crazy about not being able to put my most used programs on the start menu. I assume after a while it will automatically list my most used programs, but the list only seems to be the six most used programs. I could always use the Startisback app to bring that all back, but I'll give this a chance to see if I like it or not.

I've always been about security and privacy so I'm not even going to bother with Cortana.

I installed the update on both of my computers. I saved an image first on my 8.1 comp, I didn't save an image on my 7 comp. After you update you're given the option of going back for the period of one month. After deciding it was best to save an image on my 7 comp, I reverted back using the Windows 10 feature that could do so. Well, that didn't go over well at all. All the programs Windows removes tat aren't compatible are not put back if you revert. Drivers are gone, some software is gone..... I had no control over anything on screen, mice, keyboards..... all dead. Even a standard USB 2.0 keyboard that works on a completely new OS with no drivers wouldn't work. So I did a clean install of 10. Now I just need to thumb through all the drivers I need because I built that comp and the motherboard is 2 years old, so there are no Windows 10 drivers. It still works fine, I'm curious how many drivers Windows installed itself. The webcam on my 8.1 laptop also doesn't work now. There is no specific driver for it, in 8.1 it used a Windows driver.

10 seems to be quicker. I'm not crazy about forced automatic updates. Nor am I crazy about not being able to put my most used programs on the start menu. I assume after a while it will automatically list my most used programs, but the list only seems to be the six most used programs. I could always use the Startisback app to bring that all back, but I'll give this a chance to see if I like it or not.

I've always been ###### about security and privacy so I'm not even going to bother with Cortana.

I hear ClassicShell works with 10 now too (it was fantastic on 8/2012).

Seems like you need a touch-screen nowadays, even on the PC, to make the most of these new operating systems Windowses.  Mice are like, so Windows 7.

Fixed. I don't think MacOS is particularly touchy yet, and there's a slew of Linux desktops that are more traditional. I know that doesn't help most people, but with the short experience I had with a Windows 8.1 laptop (I boxed it up this morning to return it), I'm not thrilled with the prospect of running Windows past 7. If only my wife didn't need Photoshop I'd probably be able to switch to Linux full-time.

Which brings up something else: the laptop, with it's "Secure Boot" BS won't boot off anything other than the internal disk. I was going to install Linux on it before shipping it back to see how it ran but after an hour of poking around on Dell's support site and Google I couldn't find an obvious method to disable that nonsense. It seems that some systems it's just not possible, but I didn't look hard enough to know if that was the case for that system to be sure.

I would be careful with this. Double check to make sure your computer can handle it. If not, and you download it anyways, it could royally ###### up your computer

Good advice. You CANNOT roll back, making sure you meet the minimum requirements is paramount. I have had Win10 since the first build release, love it. Best OS to date.

You can't?  If you go into Settings --> Update and Security --> Recovery you are able to roll back for 30 days after you get Windows 10.

I think JJ upthread said he tried that and the system wasn't returned back to it's original state. Missing apps, drivers, etc. And that assumes the the upgrade goes well enough that the system will boot and you can get to that menu. Always make an image before you do something like this, or be prepared to put a lot of effort into fixing your computer if something goes wrong.

I use Clonezilla and an external USB drive to do images, but it's not the most user friendly thing on earth. It is. however, free.

http://clonezilla.org/

Article about Windows 10 Privacy:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/03/windows_10_privacy_defaults/

Based on the comments, it sounds like it's a pretty involved process to turn all the phone-home stuff off, including registry tweaks and process killing. Maybe even some GPO work to make sure MS doesn't reverse the changes with future updates. Between buying a new laptop that I can't boot whatever software I like on it and this nonsense, I'm really starting to hate computers. Which is unfortunate since it's my job.

I'm going to re-load my 8.1 image back onto my laptop. Right now I'm in the process of putting 8.1 on to my 7 desktop. Not sure it's going to work, I have a spare 8 license key that came with an OEM laptop that never got used. Doubt it will work but I'd like to have 8 on that 7 computer. Windows 10 didn't work too well on that one, all of the drivers for that motherboard are only for 7/8/8.1.

10 is faster, sleeker, and more user friendly than 8. I'm just not a big fan of forced updates, all the privacy concerns, and it's not friendly for those that like to customize and dig deep into the OS.

Article about Windows 10 Privacy:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/03/windows_10_privacy_defaults/

Based on the comments, it sounds like it's a pretty involved process to turn all the phone-home stuff off, including registry tweaks and process killing. Maybe even some GPO work to make sure MS doesn't reverse the changes with future updates. Between buying a new laptop that I can't boot whatever software I like on it and this nonsense, I'm really starting to hate computers. Which is unfortunate since it's my job.

If you can't beat em, join em. Time to get a job with the NSA. 

I'm not a fan of the privacy stuff, but I'm not sure how much longer I have the energy to fight what is ultimately a losing battle. It's getting to the point where I've accepted that utilizing new technology means sacrificing privacy, and I'm about ready to throw in the towel entirely and be a "normal" consumer. I feel like enough information is out there already between the phone, commercial information sharing, and Internet shopping, that all I'm really saving myself from are targeted ads. Any major data breach and you're probably screwed anyway.

Bleh.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

I registered for the free upgrade (currently running Win 7 Pro, 64-bit), but after reading this thread and a bunch of articles online, I think I'm going to hold off until October:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/28/microsoft-windows-10-should-you-upgrade/3/

Historically the rule of thumb for new Windows releases is to wait. This lets Microsoft fix any major bugs that appear early on. In my opinion Windows 7 was the exception to this rule and was rock solid even in early betas, but the rule is back in force with Windows 10.

In some ways this verdict disappoints the tech geek inside of me. Long term I believe Windows 10 will be the best version of Windows ever made, it is certainly the most exciting and ambitious since Windows 95 – and it’s free. But it simply isn’t ready.

Furthermore, despite all the good stuff (and there’s a lot), there are numerous bugs at present and key questions remain over its automatic update and enforcement policies – especially when recent updates have caused serious problems. This is where the real cost lies.

So wait. I know the biggest Microsoft fans and those on the cutting edge will ignore me and that makes sense: they are prepared to accept flaws to experience the latest things. But for everyone else remember that eligible users get a whole year to upgrade and there’s no need to rush in with so many rough edges still on show.

Mark my words: Windows 10 is going to be great and you should eventually upgrade, but with a major update coming in October that’s the month I’d circle in my calendar.

How long did it take to upgrade ?

10-15 minutes, not sure exactly but it was quick. It downloads in the background and let's you know when it's ready. Don't let the negative posts sway you, it's really not that bad if you can work your way through and change the settings that invade your privacy. It's sleeker, faster......  I was reluctant to go back. 

10-15 minutes, not sure exactly but it was quick. It downloads in the background and let's you know when it's ready. Don't let the negative posts sway you, it's really not that bad if you can work your way through and change the settings that invade your privacy. It's sleeker, faster......  I was reluctant to go back. 

My upgrade took a long time. Something like 3 hours.  The fresh install I did was very quick, though.

I hate 8 !!  I've had it for 2 years and hate it more with each passing day!!

Still contemplating whether to "upgrade" to 10 or attempt to really upgrade back to 7.  If anyone has done 8 to 7, please post level of difficulty and instructions, it would be greatly appreciated.

I can honestly say, I've almost thrown this laptop out over a hundred times because 8 is such a crappy operating system.

Still contemplating whether to "upgrade" to 10 or attempt to really upgrade back to 7.  If anyone has done 8 to 7, please post level of difficulty and instructions, it would be greatly appreciated.

I can honestly say, I've almost thrown this laptop out over a hundred times because 8 is such a crappy operating system.

What's so bad about 8?

Non touch lap top yes?

I just did the upgrade on my desktop. It"s more like Win7 than it is Win8. You could use it without a touch screen. Cortina relies on a mic, so if you don't have that, your lovely assistant will just sit in the background like an dumb nincompoop. Overall, I like it, the install was easy and there weren't any problems. I'm running it full non-privacy because I'd like the OS to double as my conscience. I hope that Big Brother is watching and is proud of his little brother.

Non touch lap top yes?

Touch laptop.

However, IE sucks and crashes several times per day and GC, while stable, is super slow.

On top of that, apps that I run in non-touch mode are not optimized and those that run in touch mode are not as intuitive

Printing is routinely a challenge

I'm sure most of issues come from my desire to run computer as a laptop not tablet, and preference to non-touch mode

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.