Windows 10

JJFIVEOH

• 2 months later...

Windows 10 is nice I think, but the constant updates you have to go through because you got it for "free" are annoying.

Last week I had a bad update and my desktop went all black, could only move the mouse.   The fixes on the Windows 10 website were useless.

Only thing I could do was to go back to an earlier configuration.

I'm perfectly happy with the upgrade. I have only two issues: 1) all of the icons on my start menu are blank blue squares, which is annoying and I'd like to fix without a clean install and 2) Microsoft's Edge browser won't connect to the internet, even though everything else does. Not a big deal because I use Chrome, but still kinda annoying.

But I really haven't had any meaningful problems, so I can't complain.

Windows 10 has been the best on my Asus desktop which I upgraded from 7. It's been awful on my Lenovo laptop which I upgraded from 8.1, but most of the issues there are with Lenovo-specific hardware/drivers, which I expect will be resolved. 

I upgraded my work computer to 10 from 7 a few weeks ago and for the most part it has been perfectly fine. The only major issue I have is that Windows Explorer has some glitches that don't seem to be getting fixed. Explorer locks up and resets when I try to open it from the task bar shortcut, and it locks up when I try to right click on a folder in the left side tree in the explorer window. Really annoying, but I'm working around it. One of these days it'll just work again and we'll all move on with life. 

Windows 7 is still running like a champ on my desktop and my girlfriend's laptop. Thanks again to SFiNS for giving me the code to remove and later block the Windows 10 update. Suck it Microsoft.

What was that you said ... from my cold dead hands.

:flirt:

I will never give up 7 until there is no choice.  Even then, maybe not.

What was that you said ... from my cold dead hands.

:flirt:

I will never give up 7 until there is no choice. Even then, maybe not.

Yes sir. I'm keeping 7 for as long as it functions. Hopefully by then they'll work out the kinks in 10 completely or they'll be on to their next abomination of a version. Only time will tell but I'm also sticking with 7 until I have no choice.

Still very happy with my upgrade from 8.1 to 10 (updated a few months ago). Not a single issue from the update even with a NVIDIA graphics card (when upgrading from 8.0 to 8.1 they didn't have the proper drivers so I ended up with a black screen, obviously my fault for not checking if the card was ready to upgrade). Everything is smooth and the layout makes sense again

Edited by TheDominator

In more of my adventures with Windows 10, this time on my work computer, I have been able to resolve my File Explorer issue by running a program called ShellExView and isolating third party extensions. The culprit was an extension for Autodesk Inventor Part files, probably a launcher or something. I suspect at some point I'll have to do a re-install of Inventor, since blocking extensions for AutoDesk is not something I'm excited about. But for now I'm running good. 

I updated my Asus laptop to windows 10 and it actually works significantly better than 7 did. Liking it.

My Asus desktop responded really well too. I think a lot of it has to do with pre-loaded bloatware. Asus PC's tend to have very little loaded on them. 

My computer will not boot up on the intial start. I have to wait for the monitor to blink out from no signal and then hit the hard reboot button. I have read that it is due to a non certified driver but damned if i can find it.

So it works once you hard reboot it? 

yep. the hdd is still spinning after the monitor shuts off thou as the usage light is still on.

My kid's Windows tablet does something very similar.  Never thought of a driver issue, though.  That's an idea.

I have three out of five computers here running Windows 10 and I do like it.  The only problem other than with the tablet is turning off all of the crap.  I also had to do a little reconfiguring of Kodi, but that's it.  Seems okay. 

• 1 month later...

Bump ...

I have a number of laptops for my office (accounting firm) and all of them are really put through their paces at this time of year, but 2 of 4 are not really used much at other times of year.

I upgraded those 2 machines (1 Toshiba and 1 Dell) to 10 ... one from 8.1 and the other from 7.

10 is actually very similar to 7 and I found that the Toshiba (7) really kept all of the Windows 7 settings and set up.  The Dell (8.1) is running better on 10 than it had been on 8.1, but 10 mirrors more closely 8.1 on that machine, although I am getting used to and changing the settings to be more 7 like.

So far this Windows 10 isn't half bad, especially if you upgrade from 7.

My main office laptop (Toshiba) will be running Windows 7 Professional until they take it away from me.

The 4th laptop ... an older Dell will also be running Windows 7, as I use it as my laptop for when I am on a teaching contract, next one should be starting in early June.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Bump ...

I have a number of laptops for my office (accounting firm) and all of them are really put through their paces at this time of year, but 2 of 4 are not really used much at other times of year.

I upgraded those 2 machines (1 Toshiba and 1 Dell) to 10 ... one from 8.1 and the other from 7.

10 is actually very similar to 7 and I found that the Toshiba (7) really kept all of the Windows 7 settings and set up. The Dell (8.1) is running better on 10 than it had been on 8.1, but 10 mirrors more closely 8.1 on that machine, although I am getting used to and changing the settings to be more 7 like.

So far this Windows 10 isn't half bad, especially if you upgrade from 7.

My main office laptop (Toshiba) will be running Windows 7 Professional until they take it away from me.

The 4th laptop ... an older Dell will also be running Windows 7, as I use it as my laptop for when I am on a teaching contract, next one should be starting in early June.

Who got to you, man? Did Bill Gates send a henchman after your knees with a Louisville slugger? I'm not next on the list am I? Do I need to enter witness protection?

Who got to you, man? Did Bill Gates send a henchman after your knees with a Louisville slugger? I'm not next on the list am I? Do I need to enter witness protection?

Oh, man.  I had a feeling this was coming.  Bless me, for I have sinned.

I never liked 8 and my laptop that I use primarily for charity work ... charity information returns and personal income tax returns for people of lesser means - basically they could not afford to hire my firm ... was causing me a lot of grief.  So, it made sense to upgrade those machines.

My two main laptops and the one I am using now ... for work ( :flirt:  ...  ;) ) when I am home from the office ... never going to change those.

Have you really tried 10 for an extended period?  It really isn't horrible and if you upgrade from 7 it really does run as a faster version of 7 ... everything really is the same.

Oh, man. I had a feeling this was coming. Bless me, for I have sinned.

I never liked 8 and my laptop that I use primarily for charity work ... charity information returns and personal income tax returns for people of lesser means - basically they could not afford to hire my firm ... was causing me a lot of grief. So, it made sense to upgrade those machines.

My two main laptops and the one I am using now ... for work ( :flirt: ... ;) ) when I am home from the office ... never going to change those.

Have you really tried 10 for an extended period? It really isn't horrible and if you upgrade from 7 it really does run as a faster version of 7 ... everything really is the same.

My girlfriend has a new laptop that came with 10. I used it to set her up with chromecast and to install malwarebytes, hijack this, and ccleaner but that's it. It really isn't bad but my desktop and her old laptop with the busted screen still run 7 but her old one only gets used for streaming movies and sports from the internet in the living room since we leave it hooked up to the tv with a vga cable.

I absolve you of your sins though, sir, and am still eternally grateful for your help in avoiding the forced update. They'll get my windows 7 from my cold dead hands!

PS I don't blame you for updating from 8 or 8.1 at all either. We looked at display model laptops running those before they all started coming preloaded with 10 and that OS is just dreadful. It works like it's designed exclusively for a phone or tablet.

I'm very close to going back to windows 7, Mainly because every latest windows update is giving me the BSOD (black screen of death).

Do like Windows 10 though, but they ###### me over with every forced update.

That is one thing that I do not like ... I have not been able to find a way to disable the forced updates in 10.

Everybody knows that in 30 seconds you can make Windows 8 and 8.1 look just like 7, right?

Yes, but the key thing is *look like*, which does not exactly mean *runs like*.

Drunkard is correct ... 8 and 8.1 was designed to work best on a tablet, or phone.  The way it works and is designed it is for a mobile device that is not a laptop.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

That is one thing that I do not like ... I have not been able to find a way to disable the forced updates in 10.

Yes, but the key thing is *look like*, which does not exactly mean *runs like*.

Drunkard is correct ... 8 and 8.1 was designed to work best on a tablet, or phone. The way it works and is designed it is for a mobile device that is not a laptop.

From what I've read there's no way to stop any updates from automatically installing with windows 10 other than not connecting to the internet. It's part of their propaganda under the guise of security just like the US governmnt spying on everyone. I trust neither.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.