Windows 10

JJFIVEOH

Hopefully by then they'll have a new OS out that's actually designed for computers again. I loved xp and kept it until I got 7 so I was able to avoid vista. Hopefully I'll be abe to avoid 10 and the next one or one after that will be better.

You wont. 10 is it. Updates to it only. Doesn't mean it doesn't radically change over time or time to time but they have said 10 is the final build. Give it a chance and get a touch screen too.

You wont. 10 is it. Updates to it only. Doesn't mean it doesn't radically change over time or time to time but they have said 10 is the final build. Give it a chance and get a touch screen too.

No chance. I don't even like having to have a touch screen phone but I've accepted it. I prefer a real start menu with access to my control panel, printer, and a list of all my programs rather than scrolling through countless screens of app icons.

From my cold dead hands!

No chance. I don't even like having to have a touch screen phone but I've accepted it. I prefer a real start menu with access to my control panel, printer, and a list of all my programs rather than scrolling through countless screens of app icons.

From my cold dead hands!

I guess you haven't actually seen 10, then. Windows 10 is far more like 7 than 8. If MS wasn't so slimy with the privacy stuff, I'd have no problem recommending it. As it is, if you disable the most egregious privacy issues Windows 10 is on-par with 7 IMHO, and both of which are a little ahead of XP.

Windows is like Star Trek movies, every other one is good. XP, 7, and 10 will be the ones people gravitate to, Vista and the 8s will be footnotes.

I guess you haven't actually seen 10, then. Windows 10 is far more like 7 than 8. If MS wasn't so slimy with the privacy stuff, I'd have no problem recommending it. As it is, if you disable the most egregious privacy issues Windows 10 is on-par with 7 IMHO, and both of which are a little ahead of XP.

Windows is like Star Trek movies, every other one is good. XP, 7, and 10 will be the ones people gravitate to, Vista and the 8s will be footnotes.

I haven't really messed around with 10 too much. One buddy of mine updated and it didn't work so he had to do a clean install to get it to function at all. It looked like 8 at first glance though and honestly, I just hate the fact that it seems designed more for tablets and phones than actual computers. Maybe I'm just a 34 year old curmudgeon though.

I haven't really messed around with 10 too much. One buddy of mine updated and it didn't work so he had to do a clean install to get it to function at all. It looked like 8 at first glance though and honestly, I just hate the fact that it seems designed more for tablets and phones than actual computers. Maybe I'm just a 34 year old curmudgeon though.

Other than the tiles on the start menu (which you can get rid of), it looks like 7 to me. Fairly normal start menu, most of the apps use windows and aren't full screen, etc. Granted, it's on my wife's computer so I haven't used to too much other than installing software and some very light web browsing (which I normally use Firefox of Chrome for anyway). The new browser, Edge, looks pretty trim and nice but I haven't tried to too many places.

It's a shame MS doesn't/can't do it the "Linux" way and provide LiveCD/USB or trial VMs to play with, but they're not big on try before you buy in any case.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else having issues with Firefox and Chrome ?

Both won't let me access internet anymore, apparently this is an issue with Windows 10.    Opera and edge are working fine though.

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

This is what i get when i try to come here using firefox or chrome, weird that Opera works :p

Edited by Huckleberry

Both won't let me access internet anymore, apparently this is an issue with Windows 10.    Opera and edge are working fine though.

This is what i get when i try to come here using firefox or chrome, weird that Opera works :P

nexus2cee_50190-Have-you-tried-turning-i

This is what i get when i try to come here using firefox or chrome, weird that Opera works :P

fixed it

Run CMD as admin

type in the command line: netsh winsock reset

restart computer

firefox and chrome are both working again.

I haven't had that problem and I use both.  I have noticed that AdBlock doesn't block near as much as it used to on Chrome.  I'd been using Chrome as my primary browser but whenever I watch video highlights on mlb.com, nfl.com, etc., it plays a commercial between each video.  It doesn't do that on FF.

Tried to use game center tonight and Windows 10 was having none of it. The Dolby audio/Conexant audio drivers kept crashing causing my audio service to stop. Tried to uninstall these extra drivers but stupid Windows 10 kept REINSTALLING them on restart.

So I had to figure out how to make Windows 10 stop being stupid, which involved downloading a program from their support that lets you hide updates from Windows Update.

Are you kidding me?

No idea if this is going to work. Still working through the fixes. I'm annoyed as hell though.

Managed to block the audio driver updates which seems to have allowed the audio device to default to basic HD audio drivers.

Weird glitch happening with game center's pop out view though. It just closes itself at will. Doing it in Firefox and chrome. No idea why.

crashed new asus laptop, microcenter replaced, new one up and running with 10 so far...

As a follow-up, I "donated" the Win7 box to my son who's studying to get some computer certs to get a better job than the pharmacy tech gig he's got now.  Less than two weeks later it's totally dead.  I think his actions killed it but I also think it was already in a fragile state (and maybe getting ready to go belly-up even without an attempt to upgrade to Win10).

Lots and lots of bugs Iv been encountering, some worse than others, but overall I really like Windows 10.

Same here.  Had an issue last night with the Wifi adapter not working. Had to disable then re-enable.  There's a diagnostic tool to fix the issue that I'm going to try tonight for a "permanent" fix.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.