Windows 10

JJFIVEOH

So did anybody upgrade? I've got 8.1 Pro and 7 Ultimate, both computers I didn't update KB3035583 to keep it from downloading Windows 10 automatically. I always say I'm going to wait until the bugs are worked out, but temptation usually wins out.

I'm not worried. All of my tech is good.

Windows little task bar program does a little check to tell you if your computer can handle 10. I would hope that check is accurate for those who are less confident.

Reviews I've read so far make it sound like the install has been relatively painless. It's amazing how far we've come with this kind of thing.

Waiting for my computers to tell me it's ready to install. I'm going whole hog.

I would be careful with this. Double check to make sure your computer can handle it. If not, and you download it anyways, it could royally ###### up your computer

If I do it, I'll just save an image beforehand. That way if it goes awry I can reload 7 or 8.1 and reload the image. I've just never been big on updating to a new OS. I prefer a clean install.

I'll be upgrading my laptop as soon as drivers are out for it (it's a Dell business class, so WTF knows when that will be) as I hate Windows 8 with every fiber of my being. My desktop is still running 7 though which I'm perfectly happy with, so I'm not sure I have a compelling reason to swap yet.

I'm not updating the home PC until I see the bug reports and it's a 8 year old 7 Pro machine.   However, I will be updating my work windows 8.1 laptop so I can test software compatibility with our programs.  I'll let work be the test machine. 

I'm interested in everyone's opinion when they update.

I just bought laptop a couple weeks ago that my wife hasn't really put time into So I'm going to go for it. I dislike Windows 8 as well, although I expect to spend a fair amount of time turning off all the Microsoft Spyware that's included in 10 (even more than 8!).

I'm rather annoyed with the laptop purchase; as my wife put it, "I doesn't feel like much of an upgrade" and I have to agree. That's pretty damning considering the upgrade is from a 7 year old Sony running hand-installed Windows 7. It seems like the drive is really slow, so I'd be upgrading the disk to SSD if we were keeping it. I tried to warn my wife that buying low-end hardware would be a disappointment, but...

Edited by MattPie

My laptop is on its last leg and I can't afford a new one... But I'm still taking the risk. Because ###### it. I'm stupid and young.

LOL I keep telling a friend of mine about many things, DO IT! Cause you're young enough to still get away with that .

Although it has never been said about something like this. He' a computer geek and is doing this anyway.

Me too

I just bought laptop a couple weeks ago that my wife hasn't really put time into So I'm going to go for it. I dislike Windows 8 as well, although I expect to spend a fair amount of time turning off all the Microsoft Spyware that's included in 10 (even more than 8!).

I'm rather annoyed with the laptop purchase; as my wife put it, "I doesn't feel like much of an upgrade" and I have to agree. That's pretty damning considering the upgrade is from a 7 year old Sony running hand-installed Windows 7. It seems like the drive is really slow, so I'd be upgrading the disk to SSD if we were keeping it. I tried to warn my wife that buying low-end hardware would be a disappointment, but...

I don't follow this stuff nearly as closely as I used to. Can you either provide details or point me to a place where I can read about it? Thanks.

So did anybody upgrade? I've got 8.1 Pro and 7 Ultimate, both computers I didn't update KB3035583 to keep it from downloading Windows 10 automatically. I always say I'm going to wait until the bugs are worked out, but temptation usually wins out.

Please be the guinea pig and let us know your thoughts, I'm in the exact same boat.

I don't follow this stuff nearly as closely as I used to. Can you either provide details or point me to a place where I can read about it? Thanks.

I second this motion.

It's good to know that all though I am a bull headed, stubborn, crotchety old fart, my disdain for 8.1 is not just because it is so different than  XP but that it truly sucks.

Please be the guinea pig and let us know your thoughts, I'm in the exact same boat.

I second this motion.

It's good to know that all though I am a bull headed, stubborn, crotchety old fart, my disdain for 8.1 is not just because it is so different than  XP but that it truly sucks.

Windows 8 is fine on a tablet, but it was built from the ground up for a touch screen. Trying to use it with a traditional setup makes me want to kick donkeys.

Windows 8 is fine on a tablet, but it was built from the ground up for a touch screen. Trying to use it with a traditional setup makes me want to kick donkeys.

It is fine on a tablet and just frustrating on a lap top. Not every software package was meant to be on a touch screen, so they turn into a hybrid mouse left click right click touch screen gymnastics. This can all be cured if I wanted to buy all the software all over again. Even AOL is hybrid, you can touch the screen for New Mail, but to delete I have to mouse over the little box, left click, then left click on delete. 

I second this motion.

I am buying new laptop soon figure 10 or find refurb 7 but would luv details of turning off spware too

I haven't seen a guide yet, but I'm sure they're coming. I read some stuff on Windows 8 when it came out, but I never ran it so forgot. Windows 10 may be even worse, since it'll do all the same stuff as 8 (sync settings and other data to THE CLOUD) but it also sends (from what read) most of what you do on the computer is sent up to Microsoft via Cortana to improve your "search" (read: ad profile). Every user on a Windows 10 system is assigned a unique advertising ID and by default it's all linked to a Microsoft Live! Account. Frankly, I don't think it's much worse than what your smartphone is doing with voice recognition and whatnot, but just seems wrong with a computer.

Running Windows 7.

Don't like 8 and have no interest in upgrading (?) from 7 to 10.

8 really is vista 2. No one upgraded from 7 to 8, and everyone wants to upgrade from 8 to 10. People on 7 are going to stay there until their systems are cold and lifeless (or 2020, when support runs out).

Edited by MattPie

8 really is vista 2. No one upgraded from 7 to 8, and everyone wants to upgrade from 8 to 10. People on 7 are going to stay there until their systems are cold and lifeless (or 2020, when support runs out).

I'm on 7. Hated 8. Attempting to jump to 10.

I force-started the upgrade last night.  Had to update graphics drivers to achieve max res.  Had to alter sound device settings to get any output (surround 5.1 on the optical out failed output test, needed to drop to 2-channel high rate output).

Now have run into the problem that mp3 format isn't recognized in the music app or windows media player- files are listed, but not playable due to unrecognized format.  Files played fine in WMP on Windows 8.  I hope we all didn't just fall into a DRM punji pit with this upgrade.  I'll keep looking at it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.