Trade: Lehner and Legwand to Buffalo

Mustache of God

I hate the trade, but there are a few things to consider.

Murray knows Lehner from Ottawa. He is also still on his ELC with two years left and at least two years being a RFA after that. With Lack or Talbot they could be had for a second, but also gone in a year or two to FA. Murray talked about using 21 on a goalie and Lehner is further along in his development.

Emotional reactions aside, this is clearly another anti-Darcy move.

He set the market and went out and got the guy he wanted.

He told us he wanted to use 21 to add a young veteran he thinks can be part of the core moving forward.

Tim Murray doesn't care that it was too much to pay in today's market, he doesn't care that Lehner sucked last year.

This is a bold statement he believes Lehner is that guy.

He wanted a big talented young goalie as a building block for what he is building here.

He took what he wanted and he paid the price.

ZFG.

Nah, other GM's are in agreement that Murray just got owned by his uncle. 

He told us he wanted to use 21 to add a young veteran he thinks can be part of the core moving forward.

Tim Murray doesn't care that it was too much to pay in today's market, he doesn't care that Lehner sucked last year.

He wanted a big talented young goalie as a building block for what he is building here.

ZFG.

*sniff* *sniff*

(wipes nose)

wha--? . . .

ZFG.

Yeah we get that but he could have signed a goalie short term and still been okay. This was a terrible hockey trade. I'm pissed. Just because we have assets in pick means we just give away more to acquire a mediocre player.

Wow!  I would have much rather had Neuvirth, Niemi, etc from FA, that 21st pick (especially in a deep draft) and let Grigorenko take that spot for the year and see what happens.  21st for a concussed Lehner and Legwand?  GMTM got taken to the cleaners on this one.  The 11am conference could be very interesting listening to Murray defend this one.  This is the first move that makes me wonder about Murray.

Murray knows Lehner from Ottawa. He is also still on his ELC with two years left and at least two years being a RFA after that. With Lack or Talbot they could be had for a second, but also gone in a year or two to FA. Murray talked about using 21 on a goalie and Lehner is further along in his development.

I would honestly have less of an issue if this was 21 for Lehner. As I like the guy, despite it being an overpayment.

It is legwand that posses me off. A useless bench filler that is now taking the spot for one of our better and younger players. I would prefer Larsson playing third line than in Rochester, so Legwand can continue.

If we got Legwand as a salary dump then that means Lehner was worth more than 21. Lehner hasn't been able to ride a bike in 6 months because of his concussion

Yeah I don't like the trade and taking emotions out of it what you're saying makes a lot of sense. There's a lot of the day still to come and GMTM has time to redeem himself.

I would honestly have less of an issue if this was 21 for Lehner. As I like the guy, despite it being an overpayment.

It is legwand that posses me off. A useless bench filler that is now taking the spot for one of our better and younger players. I would prefer Larsson playing third line than in Rochester, so Legwand can continue.

If we got Legwand as a salary dump then that means Lehner was worth more than 21. Lehner hasn't been able to ride a bike in 6 months because of his concussion

Source?

Legwand, if they keep him, could also be seen as a good mentor for Eichel. He knows what it's like to be a #2 pick in the league.

I don't hate what they got, I just hate the value they gave up to get it.

Hamilton also added, Legwand may be needed as help to get to the cap floor.

Edited by Lanny

Very confused here like everyone else. Stats don't back this move up but maybe he is going to add tae kwon do to the crease? We have him for a long time though. Two years before RFA status.

As Dudacek says, ZFG.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.