Who's your Smehlik & Snuggerud on this team?

Taro T

Huh? Smehlik? Snuggerud? Wha'?

What is meant by the thread title is who is your absolute can't stand player (your Smehlik) and who is the player you really like beyond what his skill set and role on the team dictates (your Snuggerud).

Those 2 are my all-timers, though Larry Mickey might take Snuggy's spot but he missed a LOT of time w/ injuries, so went w/ Snuugy.

Grigorenko would be my current Snuggerud. Just hate the way his career has been jerked around. Don't really have a Smehlik on this team - there've just been too many bad players that were forced into roles they had no reason to be in this past year (and Stafford left late enough in the season that nobody grabbed his Smelly role YET.)

So who are yours and why?

Edited by Taro T

My old timers are easy; I loved Alan Haworth and couldn't stand Ric Seiling although that may have been more about him not being Mike Bossy.

On this team , I probably have too high an opinion of Johan Larsson. I think all the players I dislike will be gone before training camp so I will have to get back to you.

My old timers are easy; I loved Alan Haworth and couldn't stand Ric Seiling although that may have been more about him not being Mike Bossy.

On this team , I probably have too high an opinion of Johan Larsson. I think all the players I dislike will be gone before training camp so I will have to get back to you.

:lol: @ Seiling. He was almost in Snuggy territory for me (prior to almost losing his eye; never was the same after that) but that might have been due to my dad really disliking him (due to the Bossy thing).

Oh gawd I hated Snuggledude. 

My most hated has to be Hodgson now. Everyone else is in over their heads and its not their fault.  The guy I love beyond his abilities, Cody McCormick.

Why is that not remotely surprising? ;)

Really impressed w/ his penalty killing and tended to have an appreciation for the smaller guys that gave an honest effort back in the day. That said, never the less, Derek Roy was definitely a Smelly.

I don't really hate anyone left on the team who is worth hating, so I'm going to go with Moulson as my Smehlik. He doesn't have a great shot, is an average skater, doesn't have silky wrists and passes, and doesn't have a physical game, yet remains an effective player. I just don't enjoy watching him play--his game is just unspectacular in every way. He's good, just not much fun to watch.

Unpopular opinion warning: my snuggy is Hodgson. He was as bad as a hockey player can be last year, but I still found myself happy every time he made a quality read and pass in the offensive zone. With the necessity of two-way play in today's NHL and his complete lack of defensive capability I shouldn't like him. But I do. I think part of it is he gets dumped on so much that I simply like him more than the majority who apparently don't even think he's an NHL player. Even with Reinhart and Eichel, he'll be the 3rd best passer on the team.

My Smelly is TBA. A guy needs to be misused for a while for the disdain to kick in and the lineup is too unsettled.

I didn't hate the player, but the way Nolan used Flynn used to drive me nuts.

My Snuggy is Larsson. Loved his style even during his first call-up when he produced nothing.

I guess my bias is smart guys who compete and that's what he is.

Smehlik - Ellis(no one even comes in a close 2nd)

Snuggy - McCormick

All-time Smehlik - Ric Seiling.  Never liked him as a player and having Bossy taken with the very next pick and going on to an all-world career only made me hate Seiling more.  Looking at his stats right now, he was a better scorer in his early years than I remember.  Still hated him.

All-time Snuggy - Matthew Barnaby. There are dozens of others who I could have named over the Sabres 45 year history.

Edited by LabattBlue

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a lot of people need a new Smehlik. (Well, I guess noone actually NEEDS a Smelly, but you get the drift.)

And a couple of Snuggeruds are gone as well.

Figure I'll know who mine are by the end of October. Foligno has potential to fit the bill for either role right now.

I don't really hate anyone left on the team who is worth hating, so I'm going to go with Moulson as my Smehlik. He doesn't have a great shot, is an average skater, doesn't have silky wrists and passes, and doesn't have a physical game, yet remains an effective player. I just don't enjoy watching him play--his game is just unspectacular in every way. He's good, just not much fun to watch.

Unpopular opinion warning: my snuggy is Hodgson. He was as bad as a hockey player can be last year, but I still found myself happy every time he made a quality read and pass in the offensive zone. With the necessity of two-way play in today's NHL and his complete lack of defensive capability I shouldn't like him. But I do. I think part of it is he gets dumped on so much that I simply like him more than the majority who apparently don't even think he's an NHL player. Even with Reinhart and Eichel, he'll be the 3rd best passer on the team.

My answers if I saw this thread before now would have been the exact same for the same reasons. Go figure.

Looks like a lot of people need a new Smehlik. (Well, I guess noone actually NEEDS a Smelly, but you get the drift.)

And a couple of Snuggeruds are gone as well.

Figure I'll know who mine are by the end of October. Foligno has potential to fit the bill for either role right now.

My new Snuggy is Larsson. I bristle every time I see him sitting on the 4th line in somebody's projected lineup. He belongs in the top-9 or traded for LHD help.

My new Snuggy is Larsson. I bristle every time I see him sitting on the 4th line in somebody's projected lineup. He belongs in the top-9 or traded for LHD help.

I agree but I still pencil him in there anyway.

I look at it like this: He starts the game/season on line four but still ends up getting 14 minutes a night anyway because he plays special teams and is the guy that gets moved up in the lineup whenever someone gets hurt or benched.

He's our ace in the hole.

I also think that our forward depth means we will likely roll four lines a lot anyway.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.