RFAs

pi2000

From the lowly Oilers! 2008 at 12, 2009 at 10, and the first overall of 2010 and 2011.  :o

Never fun to rehash but at least it appears we've rediscovered the importance of early draft picks.

You can say that, but there's no reason to think EDM would have had the exact same seasons if the Sabres hadn't matched. They may well have decided that without firsts they need to be more proactive in FA and trades and built a decent if not good team.

I have a new favorite target...Brock Nelson. 6-3, 200, American. Has chemistry with Eichel already too.

Islanders don't have a first, second or third round pick this year...work out a trade.

They also have Anders Lee, who is bigger and also American...but I think I rather go after Nelson.

Thoughts?

The thing with these offer sheets is that it's the AAV OR the total divided by five. Whichever is higher.

So an offer that goes longer than five years would hurt our chances of either keeping the compensation low or getting an offer they won't match.

Best bet is to go 4 or 5 years around the $9.1M cap it would take to keep it under the 4 firsts compensation line.

I have a new favorite target...Brock Nelson. 6-3, 200, American. Has chemistry with Eichel already too.

Islanders don't have a first, second or third round pick this year...work out a trade.

They also have Anders Lee, who is bigger and also American...but I think I rather go after Nelson.

Thoughts?

Serious question and no disrespect intended Bob but are we trying to build team America or the best team possible ? 

Saw this yesterday, interesting idea. You take a strapped team, maybe from a division rival (who you probably wouldn't trade with anyway) and offer sheet two of their players at different tiers, to the point where they can only keep one due to their cap situation. I love the idea of hamstringing Boston. Are Spooner and Hamilton worth a 1, 2, and 3? Maybe, if Tim Murray really wants to add some younger guys who are NHL ready.

Don't forget Terry Pegula's Buffalo Bills did the same thing to the Dolphins this offseason, although it works a bit differently there. I'm sure Tim Murray has the green light if he thinks it makes sense from a Hockey standpoint.

http://www.tsn.ca/dual-offer-sheets-the-way-to-land-rfa-talent-1.315613

That said, I read through the comments and it seems like these things rarely happen, even more rarely are accepted, and never have really paid off. But there's a first time for everything.

Saw this yesterday, interesting idea. You take a strapped team, maybe from a division rival (who you probably wouldn't trade with anyway) and offer sheet two of their players at different tiers, to the point where they can only keep one due to their cap situation. I love the idea of hamstringing Boston. Are Spooner and Hamilton worth a 1, 2, and 3? Maybe, if Tim Murray really wants to add some younger guys who are NHL ready.

Don't forget Terry Pegula's Buffalo Bills did the same thing to the Dolphins this offseason, although it works a bit differently there. I'm sure Tim Murray has the green light if he thinks it makes sense from a Hockey standpoint.

http://www.tsn.ca/dual-offer-sheets-the-way-to-land-rfa-talent-1.315613

That said, I read through the comments and it seems like these things rarely happen, even more rarely are accepted, and never have really paid off. But there's a first time for everything.

If you're suggesting making these offers at the same exact time, there can't be any overlap between the compensations for each player.

Yes, that's the idea. If you read the article, they bold the two tiers that make sense for this, and have examples of players that fit into these tiers. 

I just can't picture the smaller contract being one that would bother a team much.  If you're going to have to force someone's hand with a $3.6 million offer to a mid-tier player, I can't imagine that the player is going to be someone worth that money.

I just can't picture the smaller contract being one that would bother a team much. If you're going to have to force someone's hand with a $3.6 million offer to a mid-tier player, I can't imagine that the player is going to be someone worth that money.

That's what mid tier players cost though. It's not that you're overpaying, it's that teams try to use RFA status to underpay. By offer sheeting at the top of that band you're simply preventing a team from underpaying, and if they're tight to the cap, they may have little choice but to let the player go.

That's what mid tier players cost though. It's not that you're overpaying, it's that teams try to use RFA status to underpay. By offer sheeting at the top of that band you're simply preventing a team from underpaying, and if they're tight to the cap, they may have little choice but to let the player go.

The one's suggested in the article are not guys I'd consider spending that money on.  I think you can find those guys just as easily either by trade in an avenue where you actually have a say in the matter.  These ideas are great and all, that you may actually be sticking it to a team, but at the end of the day, they can find a way to make it work and you're left still trying to find that player.

The one's suggested in the article are not guys I'd consider spending that money on. I think you can find those guys just as easily either by trade in an avenue where you actually have a say in the matter. These ideas are great and all, that you may actually be sticking it to a team, but at the end of the day, they can find a way to make it work and you're left still trying to find that player.

If you try and they find a way to match, so be it. I really don't see how it's much different than putting a lot of time into trade talks only to have a deal fall apart.

We should definitely not trade our 1st round pick in 2016. Nope.

I'm fully aware of what Matthews projects to be, but guys like Hamilton/Toffoli and possibly guys like ROR or Duchene are more of value to me than another shot at the lottery. I'm not saying we should go full "win-now" mode, but I would not be opposed to moving next year's first for a good return. 

I'm fully aware of what Matthews projects to be, but guys like Hamilton/Toffoli and possibly guys like ROR or Duchene are more of value to me than another shot at the lottery. I'm not saying we should go full "win-now" mode, but I would not be opposed to moving next year's first for a good return. 

Yup.  Speed up the rebuild, and by getting a mix of ages you don't have all your contracts coming due in a 2 year window.

Its not just Matthews. Chykrun and Puhljarvi are top end guys too. It is about the fact that the top 3 picks are lotto slots. Make a run at the playoffs and miss and you may end up pulling an Oil and lucking into another stud. 

Its not just Matthews. Chykrun and Puhljarvi are top end guys too. It is about the fact that the top 3 picks are lotto slots. Make a run at the playoffs and miss and you may end up pulling an Oil and lucking into another stud. 

But let's not pretend that the Oilers made a late playoff run.  Relative to the rest of the league, they had a good chance at winning the lottery.  Under the new system, this year's Bruins would have had a small chance of moving up to the top 3, but that chance would be miniscule.

Don't mind me here, just a little nitpicking.

But let's not pretend that the Oilers made a late playoff run.  Relative to the rest of the league, they had a good chance at winning the lottery.  Under the new system, this year's Bruins would have had a small chance of moving up to the top 3, but that chance would be miniscule.

Don't mind me here, just a little nitpicking.

But that is a crucial point, not a nitpick. I'm not refusing to trade next year's first because we may potentially just miss the playoffs, and want that miniscule shot-in-the-dark at a top 3 pick. If I'm not trading the pick, it's because of the chance we will finish bottom-5 and have a realistic chance at a top pick.

Having said that, I take that risk if we are able to leverage next year's first for a true top level talent. The benefits outweigh the risk.

There'll come a time when we may be hard up against the cap and teams would offer sheet us as payback. The old boys network is alive and I'm not sure Murray fits in with that crowd. I hope he plays nice mostly because at a time like this when we're still developing the draft picks we give as compensation could sting to lose. Better to use in a trade for the player we need imo.

Yup.  Speed up the rebuild, and by getting a mix of ages you don't have all your contracts coming due in a 2 year window.

That is something that needs to be taken into account. Very good point.  

Edited by Thanes16

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.