Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

After naming him captain a few weeks ago? No shot.

Ummm...Gionta is the team captain.  I highly doubt they would take away that from him during the summer and give it to Foligno who is a 23 year old who is borderline 3rd liner.

Actually, If there is anyone I can see being moved it's Foligno.  He's still young and has potential, but Buffalo hasn't been able to squeeze it out of him yet.

Damn

@CraigCustance: One of the offers Coyotes are mulling for the No. 3 pick is for a young player good enough they wouldn't get another 1st back in the deal.

Sam Reinhart?

Reinhart isn't going anywhere.

Doesn't make sense to trade your 1st overall who made huge strides in the minors the year before and is ready to start for your franchise for the next 10-15 years for a 3rd round pick who may be a year or two away and who knows if he'll even be good enough to make it to the NHL that soon.

If Reinhart does get moved, it's for a player like Tarasenko.  But that isn't going to happen.

Edited by dejeanneret

2nd overall.

So, the question is, is a 2nd overall in a below average draft worth more than a 3rd overall in the best draft class in a decade?  And is that 2nd overall worth even more because of the development he's seen in the past year?

I'll hang up and listen....

If Reinhart has more value than the #3 pick in a strong draft and so much value not to be included in a deal for Ryan O'Reilly than why are we even talking about a deal for Ryan O'Reilly. If Eichel and Reinhart are the top two centers, you don't bring in O'Reilly to be the #3, especially considering the assets needed to acquire. You bring in an O'Reilly because you think Reinhart is a #3 center at best. If that's the case, I deal Reinhart for the #3 pick.

If Reinhart has more value than the #3 pick in a strong draft and so much value not to be included in a deal for Ryan O'Reilly than why are we even talking about a deal for Ryan O'Reilly. If Eichel and Reinhart are the top two centers, you don't bring in O'Reilly to be the #3, especially considering the assets needed to acquire. You bring in an O'Reilly because you think Reinhart is a #3 center at best. If that's the case, I deal Reinhart for the #3 pick.

Sure you do, if the price is right. 

Sure you do, if the price is right. 

Statsny had 46 points in 74 games. He made 7 million. 

O'Reilly had 55 points in 82 games. He made 6 million. 

The price for O'Reilly is going to going to be high. Isn't he asking for a 7 or 8 year deal for 8 million a season? And of course you have to factor in what player(s) and a draft pick will need to be traded to bring him to Buffalo. I'd stick w/ Reinhart. His level of play improved enough to keep him. As for trading Reinhart + ? for Arizona's number 3, I do not think it's worth it. Strome could be a great a center, but Reinhart's level of play has progressed enough to keep him. He'll be a legit 2nd line center soon enough. No reason to be on the losing side of a trade w/ Arizona. 

Edited by Thanes16

Statsny had 46 points in 74 games. He made 7 million. 

O'Reilly had 55 points in 82 games. He made 6 million. 

The price for O'Reilly is going to going to be high. Isn't he asking for a 7 or 8 year deal for 8 million a season? And of course you have to factor in what player(s) and a draft pick will need to be traded to bring him to Buffalo. I'd stick w/ Reinhart. His level of play improved enough to keep him. As for trading Reinhart + ? for Arizona's number 3, I do not think it's worth it. Strome could be a great a center, but Reinhart's level of play has progressed enough to keep him. He'll be a legit 2nd line center soon enough. No reason to be on the losing side of trade w/ Arizona. 

The price will be high. But Buffalo has the space, both contractually and some pieces to make an attractive offer. 

But to be clear, I would rather have Samson than chase the  #3 pick. 

2nd overall.

So, the question is, is a 2nd overall in a below average draft worth more than a 3rd overall in the best draft class in a decade? And is that 2nd overall worth even more because of the development he's seen in the past year?

Isn't this only the best draft in a decade because of the top two picks? If Strome/Hanifin/Marner were vying for #1 it'd just be average to a little above average. That's my understanding anyway.

I'll take Reinhart and the year of development.

Ummm...Gionta is the team captain.  I highly doubt they would take away that from him during the summer and give it to Foligno who is a 23 year old who is borderline 3rd liner.

Nick Foligno was just named captain of the Blue Jackets which is what we were discussing. 

2nd overall.

So, the question is, is a 2nd overall in a below average draft worth more than a 3rd overall in the best draft class in a decade?  And is that 2nd overall worth even more because of the development he's seen in the past year?

No that isn't the question.  The question is, is the #1 forward from 2014 a lesser player than the #3 forward in 2015.  My answer is no.  Reinhart has so many intangibles and so much skill the idea of trading him is ludicrous at best. 

This goes to everyone.  Stop judging Reinhart on 9 games he played on a team 9 months ago. 

The reason this draft is talked about as the best in a decade isn't because every player is the second comming.  It is because of 2 reasons. First you have Connor and Jack at the top which make it unusual.  Second instead of other drafts, such as 2014 where their are about 5 players that you can reasonably say will be very good, this draft has 10-15 with the possibility of 20 guys in the first round being impact players. It has depth.  Depth is not the same is devaluing Samson Reinhart.

Two things to remember about Reinhart. First he greatly improved his all around game this past season in Kootenay.  He didn't tie for the lead in points at the WJC because of luck.  He is just good.  Second is we can't ignore that year of development.  We have a better understanding of where Samson will be long term than anyone we could get at #3.  Also have you heard about this kids work ethic, he is exactly who you want as your 2nd line center for a decade.  

I really don't understand how this conversation even started. Tim Murray is not trading Samson Reinhart for the 3rd overall pick in 2015 or for Ryan O'Reilly.  

Nick Foligno was just named captain of the Blue Jackets which is what we were discussing.

No that isn't the question. The question is, is the #1 forward from 2014 a lesser player than the #3 forward in 2015. My answer is no. Reinhart has so many intangibles and so much skill the idea of trading him is ludicrous at best.

This goes to everyone. Stop judging Reinhart on 9 games he played on a ###### team 9 months ago.

The reason this draft is talked about as the best in a decade isn't because every player is the second comming. It is because of 2 reasons. First you have Connor and Jack at the top which make it unusual. Second instead of other drafts, such as 2014 where their are about 5 players that you can reasonably say will be very good, this draft has 10-15 with the possibility of 20 guys in the first round being impact players. It has depth. Depth is not the same is devaluing Samson Reinhart.

Two things to remember about Reinhart. First he greatly improved his all around game this past season in Kootenay. He didn't tie for the lead in points at the WJC because of luck. He is just good. Second is we can't ignore that year of development. We have a better understanding of where Samson will be long term than anyone we could get at #3. Also have you heard about this kids work ethic, he is exactly who you want as your 2nd line center for a decade.

I really don't understand how this conversation even started. Tim Murray is not trading Samson Reinhart for the 3rd overall pick in 2015 or for Ryan O'Reilly.

1. That was the question because it is what i asked. I'll ask what i like thankyouverymuch.

2. You're a spin doctor. Any way you slice we are discussing if a #2 from 2014 is worth less/more than a #3 from a draft with more higher end talent. Not position specific.

3. Noone is judging Reinhart on anything other than where he fits in with the 2015 talent. Your crush isnt being devalued so keep your panties unwadded.

4. All along this draft was being talked about as the one that is most likely to produce a Getzlaf outside of the top few picks. Unless you think Reinhart is a lock to be a Getzlaf you would be fool to not consider the possibilty of a trade.

5. I dont want to move backwards in developing players. Its a thought excersize and something potentially more interesting to discuss than the fewest words our gm might say on the podium.

*drops mic

Edited by weave

1. That was the question because it is what i asked. I'll ask what i like thankyouverymuch.

2. You're a spin doctor. Any way you slice we are discussing if a #2 from 2014 is worth less/more than a #3 from a draft with more higher end talent. Not position specific.

3. Noone is judging Reinhart on anything other than where he fits in with the 2015 talent. Your crush isnt being devalued so keep your panties unwadded.

4. All along this draft was being talked about as the one that is most likely to produce a Getzlaf outside of the top few picks. Unless you think Reinhart is a lock to be a Getzlaf you would be fool to not consider the possibilty of a trade.

5. I dont want to move backwards in developing players. Its a thought excersize and something potentially more interesting to discuss than the fewest words our gm might say on the podium.

*drops mic

1) Your question I was rephrasing because I think it makes it a better question. 

2) Position matters a lot.  But just addressing the talent part of that point.  The 2015 draft has more top end talent because of Jack Eichel and Connor McDavid.  It then has a lot of depth.  Marner, Strome, Reinhart, Bennett would all be in a discussion at #3.  Reinhart with +1 year of development is worth more than anyone you can get at #3.

3) I actually don't wear panties, the constrict my penis to much. #commando

4) Ryan Getzlaf was drafted 19th overall. Anyone you pick in a draft is a risk just like Getzlaf at 19. What you are asking is for us to give up a player who we already know more about (because he has another year of development) to take someone else who is more of an unknown. Unless I know Reinhart will be Getzlaf?  That is a red herring argument and you know it.  What proof do we have that anyone in the 2015 class outside the top 2 will be Getzlaf or even come close? On top of that you say "outside the top few picks" which indicates you recognize how important having a top pick is.  You entire point for #4 just seems lacking.

5) If you don't like a thread then don't post in it.  Seems to me a lot of people around here have had some fun with it. Fun was its intended purpose.

Finally if you are going to 'mic drop' you should at least include a gif.  That said I have a gif concerning your personal insults strewn all over that post...

giphy.gif

1) Your question I was rephrasing because I think it makes it a better question. 

2) Position matters a lot.  But just addressing the talent part of that point.  The 2015 draft has more top end talent because of Jack Eichel and Connor McDavid.  It then has a lot of depth.  Marner, Strome, Reinhart, Bennett would all be in a discussion at #3.  Reinhart with +1 year of development is worth more than anyone you can get at #3.

3) I actually don't wear panties, the constrict my penis to much. #commando

4) Ryan Getzlaf was drafted 19th overall. Anyone you pick in a draft is a risk just like Getzlaf at 19. What you are asking is for us to give up a player who we already know more about (because he has another year of development) to take someone else who is more of an unknown. Unless I know Reinhart will be Getzlaf?  That is a red herring argument and you know it.  What proof do we have that anyone in the 2015 class outside the top 2 will be Getzlaf or even come close? On top of that you say "outside the top few picks" which indicates you recognize how important having a top pick is.  You entire point for #4 just seems lacking.

5) If you don't like a thread then don't post in it.  Seems to me a lot of people around here have had some fun with it. Fun was its intended purpose.

Finally if you are going to 'mic drop' you should at least include a gif.  That said I have a gif concerning your personal insults strewn all over that post...

giphy.gif

You can't quit me.

I'm with Liger, I was under the impression that the major knock on the 2014 draft class was lacking depth into the first round and nothing more. 

Agreed. Ekblad had a great season as a rookie defenseman. Had 39 points and was a +12. Reinhart's level of play appears to have improved a lot. The guy played very well at the world junior championship. Had 11 points in 7 games and finished w/ a +13. 

Buffalo got what they needed. It'd be a waste of time and a gamble to trade Reinhart for Arizona's number 3 pick, which amounts to Strome. This is not going to happen. 

Edited by Thanes16

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/leafs-beat/mirtle-nhl-teams-ready-to-move-picks-and-stars-as-trade-talks-heat-up/article25051119/?cmpid=rss1&click=dlvr.it

James Mirtle mentions that Duchene could be dealt if the Avs don't get what they want for O'Reilly... Yes please.

They seem hell bent on getting rid of a major piece to fill up their cupboard, and our cupboard is stacked. I'd love Duchene; what about something like

Ennis, 21, Pysk, Bailey?

Thought:

The team that offered 2 seconds for Cam Talbot.

It must have been Calgary. 

Picks at  42,52,53. 

I doubt it was them. Hiller played very well for them last year, and still has one more year on their contract. IIRC the two 2nd's weren't specifically from this year

They seem hell bent on getting rid of a major piece to fill up their cupboard, and our cupboard is stacked. I'd love Duchene; what about something like

Ennis, 21, Pysk, Bailey?

I doubt it was them. Hiller played very well for them last year, and still has one more year on their contract. IIRC the two 2nd's weren't specifically from this year

Buffalo is rather short in depth for defenseman. Plus, I have hopes for Pysyk. Felt he was kept off the Sabres roster to help the tank. Whoops, forgot that's a word that no longer needs to be mentioned. 

Buffalo is rather short in depth for defenseman. Plus, I have hopes for Pysyk. Felt he was kept off the Sabres roster to help the tank. Whoops, forgot that's a word that no longer needs to be mentioned. 

True, and as much as I like Pysk, I feel he's a 2nd pairing d-man at best, and he can be replaced in FA.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.