Making SabreSpace more friendly to new posters

nfreeman

Greetings everyone!

Very long time lurker and first time poster!  I visit multiple times a day and pretty much read everything.  I definitely have noticed that I share a lot of political and general views with some of you, but not so much others ;) Hint: I'm about as liberal as can be and am a HUGE Bernie supporter.  Plus I live in Ohio, so my presidential vote counts more than most others!  :P

About myself...I live on the far east side of Columbus, OH, originally from Steuben County, NY (middle of nowhere).  The user name comes from an inside joke between my wife and I.  The far east side of Columbus isn't the nicest area generally and our street is very busy with emergency vehicles, sirens, and house-shaking bass most of the time.  We do have an in ground pool, however, so one day I named our pool the east side oasis and it stuck.  Someday, we'll have a sign made! :w00t:

I was solidly pro-tank and am therefore looking forward to this season and (hopefully) the fruits that begin to grow from the manure of the last couple of seasons.  Did a lot of research and decided on hockeystreams.net and bought a year membership so my family of 4 is ready to go.  I'm not sure how much I'll post or add to the conversations, but I've been wanting to join the fray for awhile.  I'm not the most knowledgeable fan, but I keep up as much as I can.  I'd like to thank you all for many hours of entertainment and :doh:

But overall, GO SABRES!  I can't wait to be competitive again.  It's seemed like a very long time so here's for a very bright future! :beer:

Welcome to our little corner of the Internet.  This is a great place to learn about hockey.  We have many posters that are very knowledgeable and I learn a lot from them.  Everyone contributes to the discussions and it works very well.  So, don't be shy.

We are a big, happy, loving family here.  Dysfunctional at times, like any family.

I won't hold the pro-tank stance against you, (I was one of the more vocal anti-tankers around here, with a handful of others) as it's all behind us now.  Onward and upward, as they say.

Who cares what Newbes think?  Toughen up buttercups!

This site is nice because if U post something stupid or silly people call u on it.

It the bickering back and fourth that is interesting

and

I am the smartest guy in the room because I know I am not the smartest guy in the room...the trick is to take it all in and figure it out!!!

Go Sabres!!!!

Greetings everyone!

Very long time lurker and first time poster!  I visit multiple times a day and pretty much read everything.  I definitely have noticed that I share a lot of political and general views with some of you, but not so much others ;) Hint: I'm about as liberal as can be and am a HUGE Bernie supporter.  Plus I live in Ohio, so my presidential vote counts more than most others!  :P

About myself...I live on the far east side of Columbus, OH, originally from Steuben County, NY (middle of nowhere).  The user name comes from an inside joke between my wife and I.  The far east side of Columbus isn't the nicest area generally and our street is very busy with emergency vehicles, sirens, and house-shaking bass most of the time.  We do have an in ground pool, however, so one day I named our pool the east side oasis and it stuck.  Someday, we'll have a sign made! :w00t:

I was solidly pro-tank and am therefore looking forward to this season and (hopefully) the fruits that begin to grow from the manure of the last couple of seasons.  Did a lot of research and decided on hockeystreams.net and bought a year membership so my family of 4 is ready to go.  I'm not sure how much I'll post or add to the conversations, but I've been wanting to join the fray for awhile.  I'm not the most knowledgeable fan, but I keep up as much as I can.  I'd like to thank you all for many hours of entertainment and :doh:

But overall, GO SABRES!  I can't wait to be competitive again.  It's seemed like a very long time so here's for a very bright future! :beer:

You've violated the (unwritten) rule for both emoticon/text ratio and maximum number of emoticons per post. In addition to your dues, please PM for info on where to send beer to pay your fine. Thanks.

You've violated the (unwritten) rule for both emoticon/text ratio and maximum number of emoticons per post. In addition to your dues, please PM for info on where to send beer to pay your fine. Thanks.

Man, I just stepped out of the shadows and I'm already in debt to you and shrader.  :thumbdown:  (Another couple emoticons for you :P )

Hullo fellow Ohioan! Ah hell I'm not really an Ohioan anymore. I do miss making a difference with my vote, though.

My sis and most of the people I knew from high school live in Columbus/area.

Welcome to posting! 

Yes, I like Columbus for the most part.  Big city, but small town feel.  Always something to do and the economy in Central Ohio is doing well.  Thanks for the welcome.

As much as I want to bang the home town drum, the only people that say that are the people that live there.

I don't know.  I don't live there and I think I enjoy it more than anywhere I've ever been.  I go to Niagara wineries often, have been along the Prince Edward County wine trail and went to the wineries in Bordeaux, a few in Italy and Spain while vacationing out there a few years ago.  I'm not going to pretend to have tried wine from everywhere on earth but in my view it compares very favorably to anywhere I've ever been.  If the damn Canadian dollar weren't so terrible I'd be making another trip down there this summer.

• 1 month later...

So, I’m just throwing this out here on how to reorganize topics in a more user-friendly way. Subforums already exist here. Maybe we could add a few more and broaden them out a bit. Btw this “idea” of mine is pure plagiarism of the last Sabres forum I was on (before it died) http://www.sabresjunkie.com/forum/index.php

Below - the far left categories are sub-forums and the indented ones below those are sub-sub-forums. Every sub-forum would also have threads that were independent of the sub-sub-forums.

The details below are unimportant, but does the overall concept work?

Sabres hockey

*Amerks/prospects

*Ideas for trades, GM moves, draft picks, etc.

*Injuries

Game Day threads

NHL/hockey

Other Sports

The Lounge (all off-topic stuff)

*Drinking/eating

*TV/movies

*Music

*Politics

*Random thought thread

Wow that failed a lot.

Main sub forums could be Sabres Hockey, NHL/other hockey, other sports, the lounge (all off-topic stuff). The other stuff would be sub-sub forums. * means sub-sub forum.

Edited by BagBoy

The only thing that worries me with this is mobile use and repetitive sub-threads happening. I like the format now because I can scroll everything I want and click on what interests me, a lot like reddit's front page concept.

As long as there's a New Posts button, this shouldn't be a problem.

As long as there's a New Posts button, this shouldn't be a problem.

That's hard to make; I'd bet it'd be a forum lighting up telling you there's new content in that forum, then the thread lighting up, and you go in there to see someone posted an emoticon 

Every freakin' forum in the universe has a New Posts button that puts all the latest posts on one page, most recent first.  It's not anything you have to code, it's built into the software.  Check out, for instance, the Today's Posts link on Bikeforums.net.

Didn't understand that that's what you were talking about, I thought it was more of our system now

Good topic. I have been on this board for years under different names (changed/forgot E-mail, password).  I can say this is a fun board, most members are pretty relaxed, and spark good discussion. I am also on the TBD forums, posters over there many times play the holier than thou games with new posters. This board does not take that approach for the most part. I like the fact that it isn't as up tight either. 

On most forums posters with 10K+ posts can get away with murder, while those of us that don't post every 30 seconds get warning points for the same approach.  I believe a great deal of new posters would feel welcomed here, then again you cant please everyone.

Didn't understand that that's what you were talking about, I thought it was more of our system now

That's kind of the beauty of it.  If you use the New Posts link to access the forums, it will pretty much be what we're used to seeing:  All the active threads in a single page.  But if you want to go off and explore in specific forums you have that option too.  And when you use the New Posts link, most forum software will display what forum the post was made in.  So someone who doesn't watch a lot of TV and Movies can avoid threads made in that forum.

So, I’m just throwing this out here on how to reorganize topics in a more user-friendly way. Subforums already exist here. Maybe we could add a few more and broaden them out a bit. Btw this “idea” of mine is pure plagiarism of the last Sabres forum I was on (before it died) http://www.sabresjunkie.com/forum/index.phpBelow - the far left categories are sub-forums and the indented ones below those are sub-sub-forums. Every sub-forum would also have threads that were independent of the sub-sub-forums.The details below are unimportant, but does the overall concept work?Sabres hockey*Amerks/prospects*Ideas for trades, GM moves, draft picks, etc.*InjuriesGame Day threadsNHL/hockeyOther SportsThe Lounge (all off-topic stuff)*Drinking/eating*TV/movies*Music*Politics*Random thought thread

Don't believe we have enough traffic to make that many subforums here. Once Jack leads us to 3 in 6 years, it may work.

We have a sub forum at the top of this one titled NHL message boards.

It hasn't been touched in over two years.

I always took that to be a mostly static list of other teams' message boards, and doesn't need to be updated too often. I'm sure there's probably a few in there that are out of date, but I don't think it gets looked at other than when we are looking to really understand a team, like in a play-off series. That may explain the lack of traffic too. :)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.