2015-2016 Expectations

Doohickie

FWIW, the same website has the Bruins as a probably/potential playoff team, with them advancing if they get in.

Here's a question for you all: Do you believe the Bruins, after their dismantling, have a better shot at the playoffs this year than the Sabres do?

Yes. I think the Bruins still have a much better shot but their days in that position are dwindling.

Yes. I think the Bruins still have a much better shot but their days in that position are dwindling.

Say you take Rask away; now, the odds may not be exactly even, but they're pretty close at that point, no? In other words, Rask seems to be the deciding factor in this. 

Say you take Rask away; now, the odds may not be exactly even, but they're pretty close at that point, no? In other words, Rask seems to be the deciding factor in this.

I still think they're more talented as far as we know at this moment if the goalies are equal. But if the kids here play up to their potential some right away and their age shows itself then it could be a different story.

I'd rather have our roster, but I would feel safer betting on them. They're Matt Cassel and we're Tyrod Taylor.

Boston is a waning moon.  I would say they will battle for one of the last playoff spots this year but unless they do something drastic, they won't be a playoff team in 2-3 years. Krecji and Bergeron are good but there isn't enough offensive talent to sustain that team. 

Bergeron — O'Reilly

Krecji — Eichel

Eriksson — Moulson

Belesky — Kane

Marchand — Girgensons

Pastrnak — Ennis

Kelly — Gionta

Spooner — Reinhart

Hayes — Foligno

Talbot — McGinn

Connolly — Larsson

Rinaldo — Deslauriers

Chara — Bogosian

Krug — Ristolainen

Seidenberg — Pysyk

McQuaid — Gorges

Morrow — McCabe

Irwin — Weber

Rask — Lehner

Rask vs Lehner is their only clear advantage.

I think player for player we have a better roster.

I will be disappointed if we finish behind them.

Bergeron — O'Reilly

Krecji — Eichel

Eriksson — Moulson

Belesky — Kane

Marchand — Girgensons

Pastrnak — Ennis

Kelly — Gionta

Spooner — Reinhart

Hayes — Foligno

Talbot — McGinn

Connolly — Larsson

Rinaldo — Deslauriers

Chara — Bogosian

Krug — Ristolainen

Seidenberg — Pysyk

McQuaid — Gorges

Morrow — McCabe

Irwin — Weber

Rask — Lehner

Rask vs Lehner is their only clear advantage.

I think player for player we have a better roster.

I will be disappointed if we finish behind them.

I think Bergeron is clearly better than O'Reilly, and even if Eichel matches Krejci's offense this year, I'd be shocked if he matches Krejci's all-around game. We may have a better overall roster (I like many of our supporting players more), but there something to be said for roster chemistry with all the new faces and a new coach. Tack that onto the goaltending different (easily enough to determine which team finishes better on its own) and I'd be pleasantly surprised if we finished higher than Boston. However, I think this is the last year I'll be feeling this way for a long while.

Maybe. The big guy isn't what he used to be.

Agreed. He ideally slots in on the second pair at this point.

I think Bergeron is clearly better than O'Reilly, and even if Eichel matches Krejci's offense this year, I'd be shocked if he matches Krejci's all-around game. We may have a better overall roster (I like many of our supporting players more), but there something to be said for roster chemistry with all the new faces and a new coach. Tack that onto the goaltending different (easily enough to determine which team finishes better on its own) and I'd be pleasantly surprised if we finished higher than Boston. However, I think this is the last year I'll be feeling this way for a long while.

Agreed. He ideally slots in on the second pair at this point.

You Blue? Say it ain't so.

I am going to strongly disagree with TBGED on both Chara being 2nd pairing and Bergeron being a peer of Toews'.

It's now in the official record of these things.

Going to need some clarification on these statements nfreeman. Are you in belief that Toews < Bergeron, and Chara, at this point in his career, isn't a 2nd pairing defenseman? IMO TrueBlue is right in both cases: Bergeron is a better overall player than O'Reilly, and Chara is a 2nd pairing d-man at this point

Going to need some clarification on these statements nfreeman. Are you in belief that Toews < Bergeron, and Chara, at this point in his career, isn't a 2nd pairing defenseman? IMO TrueBlue is right in both cases: Bergeron is a better overall player than O'Reilly, and Chara is a 2nd pairing d-man at this point

I think he's saying that Bergeron isn't a peer of Toews because Toews is on a higher level, not the other way around. And I think he's saying that Chara is a first pairing guy.

Hopefully Ryan doesn't notice I said this about him, but yea. Bergeron puts up equivalent offensive numbers, and better possession numbers, all while being saddled with by far the most extreme defensive minutes in the league among top-flight forwards. For me, Bergeron is on Toews' level.

I agree with this.  I almost spoke up in the O'Reilly review thread about it.  Bergeron and Thomas were the main cogs in that Boston cup run.  Chara played an important role, but Bergeron was the heart of that team.

I think Chara has his days as an elite D-man being over.  This year, barring injury, he will still be 'above average', but the overall quality you will get out of him will be that of a typical #2 or #3 guy.  He may be in great shape, but there is no way all of those minutes aren't taking a big toll on a guy his age.

If the Bruins get into the playoffs this year, I think it will be because of the veterans staying healthy and producing at a 'decent' level, but they will need some unexpected production from some of their younger guys (but they don't really have any younger guys with a huge upside that I can tell)  Pastrnak?  Maybe, but for the Bruins to contend for a title..or even make the playoffs, they better get 20-25 goals from him at least.  

Edited by mjd1001

I think he's saying that Bergeron isn't a peer of Toews because Toews is on a higher level, not the other way around. And I think he's saying that Chara is a first pairing guy.

I tied on a pretty good one last night, I didn't even remember posting that until I saw your response notification.  :bag:

I went back and reread it with a clear mind today, I get what hes saying now. Thanks for the attempt at clearing that up for me though  :lol:

I tied on a pretty good one last night, I didn't even remember posting that until I saw your response notification.  :bag:

I went back and reread it with a clear mind today, I get what hes saying now. Thanks for the attempt at clearing that up for me though  :lol:

Join the club, was having a few :beer: last night too, suprised I didn't commit a few more grammar mistakes. :P

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.